Any updates on the new Sharpener from SHOT 2017?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mark greenman

Any updates on the new Sharpener from SHOT 2017?

Post by mark greenman »

One of my favorite new designs from Spyderco featured at last year's SHOT show was a new prototype knife sharpener. It was similar to the Sharpmaker in that it used two stones set into a base to create a V. However, these stones looked like 8" eliptical popsicle sticks.

Edit: the stones and setup looked very similar to the older Spyderco Galley sharpener:

Something about the gentle curvature of the stone's face made it much easier for me to keep the edge on the stone for the full length of the downstroke; I've never had much luck with the regular Sharpmaker, but my first time with this new sharpener and I had a hair shaving edge on my D2 Millie.

Needless to say, I can't wait to buy one when they become available. :spyder:

I've been away from the forums for awhile, have there been any updates on this new sharpener? I believe it may be the "gauntlet" referred to in this post, but it may be a different model, possibly the new Galley?:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64523&p=1129182&hil ... r#p1127671
Evil D

Re: Any updates on the new Sharpener from SHOT 2017?

Post by Evil D »

Aside from the corners working for serrations I don't see how this is any better than a round stone? An edge will basically be hitting a very small surface equal to a rounded off corner, which means high pressure.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Evil D wrote:Aside from the corners working for serrations I don't see how this is any better than a round stone? An edge will basically be hitting a very small surface equal to a rounded off corner, which means high pressure.
No, the new sharpener was different then this one, in that the stones were presented flat on, not the narrow side as shown in the photo.

The big difference between this elliptical profile vs a round stone is that there is much more room for the edge to engage the stone. On a regular 1/4" round stone, there is basically a very narrow band of stone that quickly gets coated in metal. And it is much easier for the tip of the knife to slip off such a small stone.

With the ~1" elliptical surface, the knife's edge "moves" with the stone on the drawstroke, and it was much easier to sharpen the very tip without it slipping off.

Hope that makes sense.

Having used the Lansky round stone "crock stix" sharpener as well as the excellent Fold-A-Vee, the elliptical stone profile of the new Spyderco sharpener was far superior for me, both in terms of ease of use, and edge result.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mark,

We have a number of sharpeners in-the-works. I must admit that they are taking longer than we would have liked. Part of the problem is that we have many things going on all of the time, our attention is often divided. Part of the problem is that many of the things we are trying to do have not been done before and logistics of materials and engineering often takes time if it is to be done to the best of our ability. Part of the problem is that often our vendors are also very busy with many projects and new projects must be fit in, in addition to the many products that we, as a group, are already producing. Hope that makes sense? (enough whining :o )

The first is the Gauntlet sharpener which has been around for more than a decade as a design, with prototypes developed. It is a difficult mold to make (FRN) and we've gone through several iterations before getting what we wanted. We're now waiting for production parts. We are also working on the ceramic stones, which haven't been made for a while and need to be brought out of archives. The Gauntlet uses 9" "cat's Eye" (eliptical) shaped stones. I believe these are the stones to which you are referring? It's designed for basic kitchen use by the general market. The stones have different positions in rotation and are set at 40 degrees inclusive (20 per side). We were hoping to have them out by now, but that didn't work out so we're shooting for SHOT show production.

The second is an upgrade of the "Galley V 2". This will use the same "Cat's Eye" stones, but 12" long. Also rotational and set at about 25 degrees inclusive. It is designed to be bolted down and was created for commercial use such as packing houses or restaurants / sandwich shops. This is similar to the picture you showed.

The third is a pocket stone made from CBN (400 mesh) and fine grit ceramic. It includes a "nipple" for serrations on both half's and a groove down the ceramic side for points such as darts. It is just about to be released. It is called the "Double Stuff 2"

The fourth is a portable set made up up the current ceramic "Golden Stone" and a CBN version of the byrd "Duckfoot" both set at 40 degrees and an accessory fixture that changes the angle to 30 degrees.

Hope that helps.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like the idea of these elliptical stones Sal. I use the rounded portion of my 701 stones more than any other surface, however David's point is valid, less area means more pressure in one spot..... right?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:I like the idea of these elliptical stones Sal. I use the rounded portion of my 701 stones more than any other surface, however David's point is valid, less area means more pressure in one spot..... right?
Smaller surface area = higher pressure, more aggressive cutting, higher chance for burr formation. This is why you can almost create 2 grits per Sharpmaker rod type if you use the corners and the flats. The corners cut harder and remove metal more aggressively even with the same grit, whereas the flats make a much larger contact surface and distribute that pressure over more of the edge. With curved rode it seems difficult to find enough flat, unless the rods can be turned in such a way that you're working on the side of the V end of the ellipse.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Love the idea of a portable with 30 and 40 degree inclusive angles if it's backpacking ready. Sandpaper is great, Sharpmaker is greater :)
farmer3

Post by farmer3 »

The portable CBN version of the duckfoot sounds exciting. Does anyone know what it will be called? I am already a huge fan of the goldenstone. I just wish it was available in something a little more coarse.