Difference between CPM-154 and 154CM?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
captnvegtble

Difference between CPM-154 and 154CM?

Post by captnvegtble »

Can anybody discuss the differences between CPM-154 and 154CM... regarding steel composition and real-world use experience?

The Spyderco steel chart only lists 154CM, but I know they're coming out with a blade in CPM-154 (Lum Darn Dao). Thanks!
bearfacedkiller

Re: Difference between CPM-154 and 154CM?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They have the same composition. The difference is that the CPM version is powdered metallurgy. You should be able to do some searching and learn about the advantages of that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Hi Captn, CPM 154 is the particle metallurgy version of 154CM. ATS-34 is pretty much the same thing only made in Japan. These grades were developed as bearing steels and could take higher temperatures with out hardness loss if tempered at the high end ( 975 F) Bob loveless used both 154CM and ATS 34 as well as a lot of custom makers early on. They are still great steels and I use them for fillet knives. Phil
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Phil Wilson wrote:Hi Captn, CPM 154 is the particle metallurgy version of 154CM. ATS-34 is pretty much the same thing only made in Japan. These grades were developed as bearing steels and could take higher temperatures with out hardness loss if tempered at the high end ( 975 F) Bob loveless used both 154CM and ATS 34 as well as a lot of custom makers early on. They are still great steels and I use them for fillet knives. Phil
There you go Captn, as reliable a source as you are likely to get. I have enjoyed my experiences with CPM154 and 154 CM alike.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Thank you both, that's very helpful.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Phil Wilson wrote:Hi Captn, CPM 154 is the particle metallurgy version of 154CM. ATS-34 is pretty much the same thing only made in Japan. These grades were developed as bearing steels and could take higher temperatures with out hardness loss if tempered at the high end ( 975 F) Bob loveless used both 154CM and ATS 34 as well as a lot of custom makers early on. They are still great steels and I use them for fillet knives. Phil
Phil knows what he's talking about. ;)

Just to add to this...

I understand 154CM was originally developed for jet turbine blades. The CPM actually stands for Crucible Particle Metallurgy if I'm not mistaken. CPM-154CM is made by Crucible Industries here in the USA. I actually really enjoy everything about 154CM and CPM-154CM. Great steel for knives and I have no problems sharpening it. I find it easier to sharpen than VG-10 and prefer it.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I just sharpened two Manix 2s this afternoon, the first was S90V and only needed a minor bevel reset the second was a 154CM version that I snagged off Ebay a few months back, it needed a fairly major edge rework. The major edge work on 154CM was much quicker than the slight adjustment on S90V... and total time was still less even though I used two additional high grit stones finishing the 154CM blade!

Not sure how it will hold up, since this is my first 154CM knife, but it took a fantastic edge with minimal effort and behaved well, with only minor burr formation compared to the VG-10 Urban I did after it, which threatened to wire-edge on me (the Urban needed a major re-profile though, so there was lots of stock removal).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

For clarification: there is no CPM-154CM. CPM-154 is a particle metallurgy steel whereas 154CM is not. CPM154 is probably closer in performance to S35VN for comparison.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.