Rit Dye - Tips, tricks and pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Rit Dye - Tips, tricks and pics

Post by kennethsime »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:35 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:01 pm
Did you use the synthetic RIT Dye? Also, how long did you end up soaking? That blue looks great!
Yep, it was the synthetic sapphire blue and it was dipped around 2 minutes or so. I let it dangle for 30 or seconds then pull it out and check, back and forth until it got to the desirable darkness. Good luck and can't wait to see your end result!
Wow, that's amazing! Ok, I'm ordering the synthetic dye tonight. Thanks!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
fliptide

Post by fliptide »

salt 1 (Large).jpg
native forest (Large).jpg

Salt 1 green fade and native 5 salt forest green.
Both vinegar, water, and black (normal) rit dye liquid. Has to be boiling and it does not take long. The fade was probably less than 30 seconds total.
I took the native all the to black, but to get to forest maybe 1-2 minutes. Just dip a few seconds at a time and rinse. Repeat until shade you want.
*note it would not take the dye worth poop until mix was rolling.
Last edited by fliptide on Thu May 28, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:28 am
After dying the Caribbean for about 10-15 minutes in a simmering pot, I decided to use the dye on a yellow Tasman as well.

I can’t remember exactly how long it stayed in the dye for, but probably about 5-8 minutes.

First it turned a dark brown kind of colour, but over the summer it’s faded considerably.
It does get left on a hook in a greenhouse often, so it probably gets a fair bit of UV light. I actually quite like it in its current colour with the warm yellow showing through. But it was a very different outcome to the colour on the Caribbean.
I bet this has to do with the difference in materials: G-10 vs. FRN.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

A reference picture. Dyed the Manix XL (natural jade g-10) and Caribbean in Sapphire Blue. I wanted them dark blue so left both in for extended period of time. The native 5 is the blurple S110V and the PM2 is the Smurf Blue M390, both included for reference.
Attachments
5C901401-8088-48C1-9F6D-ABD9C839A190.jpeg
Jamesdurso

Post by Jamesdurso »

I am considering dyeing an ivory Straight Spine Stretch. Is there any way to lighten the color before I dye it or is that unnecessary? Thanks.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Hey maybe y’all can help me with this...

I’m may attempt to dye a new orange G10 handle. The color I want is purple but blue would be fine too. Do any of you have suggestions on what color Rit dye I should use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

[/img]

This is the sage five blade HQ exclusive mint green cpm M4 using peacock green right dye for about 20-30 mins boiling
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
scottmi

Post by scottmi »

Came across a Salt I (C88SYL) on clearance a couple days ago while looking to replace my *beloved* original Delica (smooth S30V blade) which went overboard in foreign waters. (so sad!) Saw the dye threads and gave it ago. Worked great!! Did not disassemble the knife, just removed the clip. Super easy!

Proceedure:
1/ removed clip from knife
2/ sprayed knife handle inside and out with electrical contact cleaner, rinsed knife with water, rinsed knife with isopropyl 99%
3/ poured boling water into mason jar, about half full, added good measure of distilled white vinegar (couple ounces), then added RIT dark green dye ~couple ounces. stirred.
4/ holding blade, dipped knife into dye and used it to continue stirring. needed a little more liquid so added a little more hot water and a little more dye. continued stirring with knife in jar. after about 2 minutes stirring, pressed lock and rotated blade a little bit to allow access to more interior surfaces. total time immersed about 4-5 minutes.
5/ removed knife and rinsed under cold water, scrubbing all over with old toothbrush.
6/ put some dish soap on tooth brush and scrubbed all over some more, rinsed, dried.
7/ reassembled clip, good to go!

OregonTimber

Post by OregonTimber »

nice write up, any idea of the longevity of the dye? I think I saw something about it fading over time....would hate to burn the time, cash, and effort for something short lived..

thanks
“Hunting isn't a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.” - Red Green | :bug-red-white Bend, Oregon USA
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Though I haven't actually done it, I have read enough to know the time and cash are very minimal.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

OregonTimber wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:56 pm
nice write up, any idea of the longevity of the dye? I think I saw something about it fading over time....would hate to burn the time, cash, and effort for something short lived..

thanks
A couple of years with the Pac Salt rit dyed and no signs of fading. For as cheap and easy it is to accomplish, I will never worry about scale color again.

I dyed this one a dark blueish green a couple of years ago and ultimately decided to just go black. Seen a lot of use and has not faded a bit.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
okay

Post by okay »

I tried out a dye job on my Bradley folder and the Cutlery Shoppe PM2 exclusive. The Bradley had natural G10 and the PM2 had the orange scales. I went with the Rit Chocolate Brown. I thought the brown and jade green on the Bradley would combine to make a brown with greenish tint. I wasn't a huge fan of the hunter orange scales on the PM2, and I thought the brown would result in more of a burnt orange color. Well, the Bradley just ended up dark brown, and the PM2 lighter brown with a hint of orange.
PXL_20240411_233903646.jpg
I think if I had taken them out of the dye earlier I might have gotten closer to the color I wanted. It seemed to resist taking on the color for quite awhile and then took it up very quickly. The other option would have been to mix in another Rit color according to their formulas. They have a bunch of color combination formulas on their website. Overall, I am happy with it. I like more earth-toned colors so that was achieved.

I got the dye from hobby lobby for $5. I picked up a stainless steel pot at the thrift store for $2 so it's not expensive. I did use the whole bottle of dye. I used tie wire to make a rack that could suspend the scales in the pot. I didn't want them to touch the bottom in case the heat damaged them. I threaded a long piece of wire through the holes on the scales to make fonduing them easier.