Wharncliffe Native 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

Wharncliffe Native 5?

Post by embry386 »

The Native 5 LW (serrated blackout version) is my favorite knife, and I got to thinking about how there's been wharncliffe variants made of a few popular knives, and how the Native's handle ergos fit my hands real well and I'd wish they put some different blade shapes with that handle... some photo editing later, this is the result:

(next to an unedited Native for comparison)

Pretty slick, hmm? I'd love to have a few of those.

May try doing a hawkbill version sometime later.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Wharncliffe Native 5?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

+1
I would be very into this.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Looks pretty good. I'd say a tad less downward blade angle and PE, for me. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Jazz wrote:Looks pretty good. I'd say a tad less downward blade angle and PE, for me. :cool:
Sounds good to me. I recently drank your Kool-ade and purchased both PE and SE Wharncliffe Delicas. Now, I say Wharncliffe all the things!
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Jazz wrote:Looks pretty good. I'd say a tad less downward blade angle and PE, for me. :cool:
I'm good with this -- my main reason for putting serrations on the photoshopped image is that it sorta hides my lack of skill at photoshopping. ;) I just really hope there's a DLC coated version, if they ever do end up making a wharncliffe Native.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, I'd say you have skills. Nice job.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I do not use SE and do not like wharncliffes, but I love yours and most likely will carry one, if Spyderco will make it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Like my SE Wharncliffe Delica a lot and would definitely want to get this in PE.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Alright. I've had 5 weeks to think it over.... Still sounds like a good idea :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Alright. I've had 5 weeks to think it over.... Still sounds like a good idea :D
I guess you are wondering why I called this meeting? We will begin production for you guys...
osprey

Post by osprey »

I'm interested with the one caveat being that an uncoated blade is a must. I like my work knives to be brightly colored and as un-tactical as possible.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Not sure how well this would translate to the current handle. There isn't much space so the Wharncliffe would have to start where the point is on the current native. I took my native apart last week and it's pretty tight in there.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

osprey wrote:I'm interested with the one caveat being that an uncoated blade is a must. I like my work knives to be brightly colored and as un-tactical as possible.
I like DLC a lot, but I'd also be interested in a satin version with an orange handle (or a satin version with any handle, and I'd switch blades with the new orange Cutlery Shoppe Native). Yeah brightly colored knives are awesome :spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

VashHash wrote:Not sure how well this would translate to the current handle. There isn't much space so the Wharncliffe would have to start where the point is on the current native. I took my native apart last week and it's pretty tight in there.
Hey don't go ruining a good idea with reality Lulz :D I think you are right, they would probably have to tweak the handle, unless they did something like this with the blade
(please forgive the crude drawing)

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It would fit just fine. The kicker would be bigger, to hold the blade out a bit more.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy it. The ergos work better for me than the Delica so I'd rather have this than the Delica wharnie.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

embry386 wrote:
osprey wrote:I'm interested with the one caveat being that an uncoated blade is a must. I like my work knives to be brightly colored and as un-tactical as possible.
I like DLC a lot, but I'd also be interested in a satin version with an orange handle (or a satin version with any handle, and I'd switch blades with the new orange Cutlery Shoppe Native). Yeah brightly colored knives are awesome :spyder:
How do you feel about bright blue and DLC?
Jazz wrote:It would fit just fine. The kicker would be bigger, to hold the blade out a bit more.
I should have thought of that. Thanks Jazz!

embry386

Post by embry386 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
embry386 wrote:
How do you feel about bright blue and DLC?
Blue and DLC sounds great. Basically, anything brightly colored is probably something I'll like, especially if it's DLC. And I can always switch out the handles with different colored ones from a different Native if I feel like it. :spyder:
Alabaster

Post by Alabaster »

Oh my God, this would be the most amazing knife. After seeing this post I literally set aside money in my "just in case knife" savings account for it. If Spyderco made this, it would be what Cold Steel's Tuff Lite wished it was. I truly love wharncliffe blades and Spyderco has been so amazing about offering knives with wharncliffe blade variations. Dear Sal wherever you may be right now, find this post and make this wish come true!!
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Bump. I would love to see a wharncliffe Native, with a thin hollow grind. I think the Cold Steel Tuff Lite success shows how popular this would be.