Sage 5 benefits

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fivesense

Sage 5 benefits

Post by fivesense »

I'm looking for something to ride shotgun with my Yojimbo 2. I've got the PM2 but I'm beginning to think I'd like something with a little more robust tip for some of the rougher tasks I might ask of it. So much so that I'm looking at a few tanto folders.

The Sage 5 looks like a viable option- shorter, stouter blade than PM2, nice steel. How much different in application is the Sage 5 vs. Manix XL? I like the arching angle of the Sage 5 too.

Should Dragonfly be in the conversation too?
ivtecdaily

Re: Sage 5 benefits

Post by ivtecdaily »

fivesense wrote:I'm looking for something to ride shotgun with my Yojimbo 2. I've got the PM2 but I'm beginning to think I'd like something with a little more robust tip for some of the rougher tasks I might ask of it. So much so that I'm looking at a few tanto folders.

The Sage 5 looks like a viable option- shorter, stouter blade than PM2, nice steel. How much different in application is the Sage 5 vs. Manix XL? I like the arching angle of the Sage 5 too.

I don't know much about the Manix 2 XL, but I have had a Sage 5 for quite awhile, and it is a solidly built knife. Very tough and a wonderful "gentlemen's knife" but I think its just a great general EDC. I think for a companion to your Yojimbo, a Sage 5 would fit the bill. It's not too threatening either which would be good for a pull out around people knife.

What rougher tasks did you have in mind?
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

Nothing too crazy, but things like popping dog/cat food or soup cans (those aluminum tabs) to which I'd rather not expose the Yojimbo 2. Basic cardboard cutting tasks. Y2 could handle it but I want to keep the tip pristine.

The Griptilian tanto is pretty well suited for the regular grunt tasks; just not sure I want to go "outside the family."
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

fivesense wrote:Nothing too crazy, but things like popping dog/cat food or soup cans (those aluminum tabs) to which I'd rather not expose the Yojimbo 2. Basic cardboard cutting tasks. Y2 could handle it but I want to keep the tip pristine.

The Griptilian tanto is pretty well suited for the regular grunt tasks; just not sure I want to go "outside the family."
With the things you mention, the Sage will be beautiful. The tip and overall blade thickness of that knife is more than sufficient for tough daily use. I know what you mean about the Griptilian, I have a Mini Grip sheepsfoot, and although its a tough little knife, mine broke an omega spring and I haven't used it since then. Spyderco makes alot of tough knives. Have you considered a Manix 2 Lightweight?
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

ivtecdaily wrote:
fivesense wrote:Nothing too crazy, but things like popping dog/cat food or soup cans (those aluminum tabs) to which I'd rather not expose the Yojimbo 2. Basic cardboard cutting tasks. Y2 could handle it but I want to keep the tip pristine.

With the things you mention, the Sage will be beautiful. The tip and overall blade thickness of that knife is more than sufficient for tough daily use. I know what you mean about the Griptilian, I have a Mini Grip sheepsfoot, and although its a tough little knife, mine broke an omega spring and I haven't used it since then. Spyderco makes alot of tough knives. Have you considered a Manix 2 Lightweight?
The Manix 2 LW is on the radar as well, although the blade shape is slightly more similar to the PM2 than is the Sage 5. I'm just not sure about the steel. I believe there are a couple options; which one is better for everyday tasks? I do not want S110V- my Blurple PM2 is giving me fits as I learn to sharpen it.
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

The Manix 2 LW is on the radar as well, although the blade shape is slightly more similar to the PM2 than is the Sage 5. I'm just not sure about the steel. I believe there are a couple options; which one is better for everyday tasks? I do not want S110V- my Blurple PM2 is giving me fits as I learn to sharpen it.
Actually the Manix 2 blade shape is like a bigger Sage IMO. I can't put up a picture right now, but it's kind of crazy how similar the Manix and Sage are.

I have an S110V and CTS-XHP KC exclusive, but they make a couple CTS-BD1 models and also a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive orange with S90V that are still in stock on their site. That would be my choice as I'm wrestling with getting one at the moment. S90V might be a good option for you if S110V is driving you nuts with sharpening.

But, on the other hand, the S30V on the Sage is cake to sharpen and holds the edge pretty well in my experience.
palonej

Post by palonej »

I'll second the CS exclusive Manix! That knife is an amazing value at $119 shipped!
The build quality is off the charts, the action is sublime and the edge out of box is stupid scary sharp!!
Carries beautifully........I could go on & on, just take our word for it, it's a LW laser!!
I love it so much I had to order a second one!!
Joe
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

ivtecdaily wrote:
The Manix 2 LW is on the radar as well, although the blade shape is slightly more similar to the PM2 than is the Sage 5.
But, on the other hand, the S30V on the Sage is cake to sharpen and holds the edge pretty well in my experience.
Many Spyderco blades look similar in general.

I'm definitely interested in trying out S90V (Yojimbo 2 coyote!) but I'm sure sold on S30V.
mad german

Post by mad german »

The Sage 5 is a fantastic knife. While it wears some nice clothes, it's not afraid to get dirty. This is a very capable EDC blade. Mine sees lots of EDC duties, including those mentioned above. It's a knife that can be used just as hard or as dirty as my PM2. The fact that it looks great and can be a great EDC for the office, that's just a plus. I work in a conservative environment, and I pull my Sage 5 out all the time and it never raises an eyebrow. However, knowing my coworkers, I know if I pulled out a PM2, all **** would break loose.

Get the Sage 5. You won't regret it.
My collection is ever changing!
Username827

Post by Username827 »

fivesense wrote:
The Dragonfly should always be part of the equation :D
Bloody Fingerz

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

fivesense wrote:
ivtecdaily wrote:
The Manix 2 LW is on the radar as well, although the blade shape is slightly more similar to the PM2 than is the Sage 5.
Many Spyderco blades look similar in general.

I'm definitely interested in trying out S90V (Yojimbo 2 coyote!) but I'm sure sold on S30V.
The manix 2 blade is a large sage blade. The spines slope down into a spear points and look much different than the pm2. Compare the spines. The manix 2 and sage 5 are my favorite carry pair due to the similar blade shapes.
fivesense wrote: The Sage 5 looks like a viable option- shorter, stouter blade than PM2, nice steel. How much different in application is the Sage 5 vs. Manix XL? I like the arching angle of the Sage 5 too.

I don't understand why you're comparing a sage 5 to a manix 2 XL? Do you want a small companion knife or a huge knife that would turn into your main carry knife?
Last edited by Bloody Fingerz on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The federal government has taken too much money from the people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty from the Constitution.

Ronald Reagan
vivi

Post by vivi »

Look into H1 folders.

They're saber ground which leaves them thick at the tip, and H1's toughness is off the charts compared to any other stainless steel. H1 is one of the few steels I don't mind prying with.

Just look at this image if you still need convincing