EDC knife for camping?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blur

EDC knife for camping?

Post by blur »

Hey!

I need a new knife after a long years having bad knife in my usage.

I need camping / trekking EDC allrounder which can do almost every task. Including cutting vegatables or ropes for example.

I do not know much about steels what is ok or very good but then hard to sharpen.
I do not know how to sharpen - need to learn. :)

What would you recommend?

I was looking following : delica 4, manix2 light or native 5.

Any other recommendation specially about steel selection and easy to sharpen for beginers and on field. Thanks!
chuck_roxas45

Re: EDC knife for camping?

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

How long do you stay out?
blur

Post by blur »

10-14 days. And then i am doing also some 1 day mountain trekkings and stuff.

I can tell you i had pm2 some weeks but it was to big and to much for me i would say. Did not even try to sharpen it.

So when i am reading "hard to sharpen" by other people i can not even know what does mean in real life. :)

Thx
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

A Native 5 LW and a Sharpmaker
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Find a good fixed blade for what you're doing.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

this_is_nascar wrote:Find a good fixed blade for what you're doing.
Except he said it will also be for EDC.

Native lightweight.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

My suggestion is a Delica in VG10: fairly easy to sharpen, holds an edge well, won't chip easily, it's lightweight.

The Native 5 in my opinion isn't very good for cutting food, the blade is too thick.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I would look at the Stretch in VG10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Really you could use any model that you normally EDC. But I still say that one of the better outdoor knives I've ever used has been Spyderco's older TEMPERANCE 1 model. I love it because it was one of the very few Spyderco fixed blades that you could also get in Spyderedge and plain edge both.

As far as folders go I don't see how you could improve on the C-36 Military model.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Stretch, Military and Manix are the same size as the PM2 or bigger, so if that was too big these will also be.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

try the resilience first
jdw

Post by jdw »

ZDP Stretch or Endura.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
vivi

Post by vivi »

I was going to say Pacific Salt, but if that's too big try a Salt 2.

Sharpens more easily than anything else Spyderco offers, rust proof, very light and compact, no maintenance required besides sharpening it once in a while.

Serrated edge would last longer between sharpenings, but can be a bit more tricky to use on a cutting board.

I carry a Pacific Salt when I camp and hike. In all my decades of camping I've never had a need for a fixed blade.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Manix 2 LW or the new Manix Back Lock would be good for a folding knife, especially if paired with a small SAK. I would give some serious thought to a good fixed blade like the Aqua Salt or Junction, however.
If you do decide on the folder, get a light weight hatchet to carry along, something like the Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet (don't make fun till you've used it. It is nice). It is as light as a fixed blade knife but has a lot more utility.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2 LW XHP. XHP is a better steel for your intended use than s110v because s110v is harder to sharpen.

If ease of sharpening is a high criteria, you might also look at BD-1.
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

Realistically, for your prescribed conditions, the knife you want doesn't exist. What knife did you use that fit that criteria previously?

Do we assume you are only carrying this one EDC knife while trekking for 10-14 days? I'd suggest you reevaluate. If a PM2 is too big, then you might consider adding a lightweight and inexpensive Mora (Companion, Companion HD) to your kit, to ride on your belt or pack. You can then carry a smaller foler, like a PM3 or similar sized knife in your pocket.

But you won't find the all-in-one-does-everything trekking/hiking/camping folder (unless your daily treks are mostly urban from hotel to hotel :) ). I echo the sentiments about getting the Sharpmaker so you can practice and learn to sharpen when not in the field. It sounds like you are in the wilderness more in one trip than 95% of the people in this forum are in one year. So you owe it to yourself to learn your steel, how to sharpen and maintain it, and which to add to your kit.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Although I generally edc one of my Mules, I am finding the Manix 2 LW with Maxamet blade to be an easy knife to carry and big enough to do what I need it to do. It is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine and it is one I would recommend taking a close look at for camp work.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Para 3, Native 5 LW or Delica 4.

I carry a Para 3 five days a week and it works great for just about any task I ask of it. The Para 3 is soon to be available in all kinds of different steels and blade types, too. Great slicer and tough blade that can handle outdoor duties.

Native 5 LW would also be nice but it doesn't slice quite as well as the other two. Still plenty good, though, and a very useful all-around knife that is tough and capable. It carries and feels smaller/lighter than the Para 3, although there really isn't much difference in their size.

It is just really hard to go wrong with a Delica as an answer to almost any EDC question. Not as robust as the Para 3 or Native 5, but a great slicer and plenty tough for most work.

My personal choice is the PM2 S110V. It and the Manix 2 are very close in size so if you didn't like the PM2 for that reason, Manix 2 would probably suffer the same fate.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I would agree with others. If the Para was too large, the Delica or Stretch in VG-10 would work well as an EDC. Light, easy to sharpen, and good stainless qualities. With the Delica, you can choose your color. Personally I prefer a bit longer blade and would get the Endura or Stretch. Welcome to the forum. :spyder:
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

The Delica is a great EDC and will work for most tasks if you just need something in your pocket. I know the PM2 and stretch have similar blade lengths, but I find the Stretch carries well and feels smaller. Maybe it's the handle length.