EBay

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

EBay

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ABX2011

Re: EBay

Post by ABX2011 »

Good for them! I wonder if other manufacturers have sued eBay for allowing fakes to be sold.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I just now received the same story from Knife News. Very sad that eBay is evidently refusing to take corrective actions against the sale of counterfeits "Spyderco".
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

I'd bet if selling fakes hurt eBay's bottom line, they'd act on it immediately!
It looks like there are more Spydie fakes sold there than most other knife companies.
I would really love to see this garbage stop.
Joe
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

ABX2011 wrote:Good for them! I wonder if other manufacturers have sued eBay for allowing fakes to be sold.
I totally agree! In the meantime we can STOP using eBay :mad:
"No matter where you go, there you are"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Good!
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This is great news and I wish Spyderco the best of luck. This will hopefully save me from filling out the dozens and dozens of fake/counterfeit Spyderco reports I keep submitting to eBay (which I'm pretty sure don't really go anywhere, but at least it makes me feel better). ;) :)

I don't think this really needs to devolve into a general bashing of eBay since (like Amazon) there are many, fully legitimate vendors on there that typically sell both on eBay and their own websites (National Knives, for example).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Good for Spyderco, at least they're trying.

The number of fakes that show up with a "spyderco" search on ebay is absurd sometimes. I often wonder if the bidders either:

1. Don't know they are bidding on a fake

2. Know it and don't care they're getting a poor quality knife as long as it somewhat looks like the real thing.

I assume some of both of the above...... :rolleyes:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'd be a bit worried. The last case got dismissed for being filed in Colorado. You know ebay will prolly make a motion to dismiss on the same grounds.
Just hope Spyderco doesnt have to pay legal fees for ebay too. I would sincerely hope Spydercos attorneys know what they are doing.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

It's just ......cannot find the word to describe it appropriately, that country can't or won't do anything about the counterfeiting problem.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

This is why I avoid EBay. Yes, there are honest vendors there, but the platform supports too many thieves for me to feel right supporting them.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

It really is ridiculous the amount of fakes I see on there.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

holeshot wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:Good for them! I wonder if other manufacturers have sued eBay for allowing fakes to be sold.
I totally agree! In the meantime we can STOP using eBay :mad:
I stopped buying from eBay years ago, and don't miss it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Spyderco is a drop in the bucket on there too. Heck, fakes knives probably make up less than 1% of the fake goods on there. It is filled with fake goods. Fake Otterbox phone cases, fake Ergo baby carriers, fake name brand clothing, fake OEM automotive parts, fake sports memorabilia and the list goes on. I would even say that it is possible that fake knives make up .1% or less of all the fake stuff on there. Hopefully this sets them straight. The counterfeiting problem is far more widespread and has far more serious implications than hurting one industry. They sell fake airbags on there. That will kill somebody!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I assume there is nothing wrong with buying knives from individual sellers that appear to be real, or are not popular to be fake. The Assists, or tasman salts - used knives of the world...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

With eBay, you takes your chances.

Got a couple of perfect Dan Wesson 15-2 barrels there, but then counterfeiting of a decades-old revolver isn't rampant.

I do wish Spyderco the good fortune David had with Goliath.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
timlara

Post by timlara »

Unfortunately, eBay has been in auto-pilot ghost town mode for years as far as management goes. As far as I can tell, there are no actual humans who still work there, everything is just bots and scripts that don't even work very well, and their help links just direct you to their FAQ and forums. It's almost impossible to talk to an actual person as far as I can tell.

I've had some trouble lately with non-paying bidders on some of my auctions, and I have not once received a response from eBay customer service. It was just up to me to resolve the issue on my own, even though it would clearly be in eBay's best interest to ban bad customers who waste the time of reliable sellers who are providing revenue through seller fees.

So yeah...even though I support this motion 100%, I fully expect eBay's lawyers to be the only ones taking any action, since they're probably some of the only non-robots left there. :(
Tim
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am really glad to hear this. I reported fakes to ebay on multiple occasions and they did nothing,
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
timlara

Post by timlara »

bh49 wrote:I am really glad to hear this. I reported fakes to ebay on multiple occasions and they did nothing,
Yep...see my post...they do nothing about anything as far as I can tell. Nobody home in customer service.

I have a feeling you'd hear from them immediately if you didn't pay your seller fee bill, though! :D
Tim
Sushimoto

Post by Sushimoto »

Hooray for Spyderco! Good for you guy's. ;)