Sage 5 torx screw ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
biggee

Sage 5 torx screw ?

Post by biggee »

Hi guys, just a quick query. I took delivery of a Taiwan made sage 5 today and am more than pleased with it. I decided to swapthe pocket clip to the other scale and just cant seem to remove the torx screw retaining it. Can you guys tell me if it is retained with loctite red or something. As the clip is designed to be mounted on either side, I cant understand why it should be so hard to remove this screw. Any advice welcome please. Thanks
Robbob

Re: Sage 5 torx screw ?

Post by Robbob »

There was a big todo about Spyderco's use of red thread lock recently and they have switched to a lower-strength solution. If you can't remove the screws you can send the knife back to Spyderco and they will loosen them for you.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Robbob wrote:There was a big todo about Spyderco's use of red thread lock recently and they have switched to a lower-strength solution. If you can't remove the screws you can send the knife back to Spyderco and they will loosen them for you.
That's true, but the announced change from red to blue loctite only applied for sure and at the time to the knives made in Golden. However, they did say that they planned on working with their other makers to update their thread lock practices. I don't know if they've changed anything at Taichung just yet, but I've heard they use a thread locker that's in between red and blue loctite.
AFAIK, when Spyderco announced that they'd loosen screws for people, they weren't limiting it to the Golden models, so you should be correct in saying that they'll loosen a Sage 5.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
biggee

Post by biggee »

Watched a youtube video suggesting a hairdryer to soften the thread lock and that worked for me. Thanks for the replies guys