What base do I not have covered?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ivtecdaily

What base do I not have covered?

Post by ivtecdaily »

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a Knives Plus strop so I figured I would buy another Spyderco with it just for the heck of it. :D

I currently have these:
Manix 2 LW - Cts-xhp, S110v
Ukpk - BD1
Delica 4 - Wharnie, VG-10
Native 5 - S35VN G10
Manbug - ZDP-189
Paramilitary 2 Left handed
Endura 4 - VG-10
Sage 5
Mantra 1
Ladybug Salt - PE
Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill

My question is, is there a glaring hole that I need to fill? What knife do I need to compliment these? I like small-ish knives obviously, and I am left handed but I dont HAVE to have leftie only specific locks.

Thanks! :spyder:
twinboysdad

Re: What base do I not have covered?

Post by twinboysdad »

Chapparal?
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Perhaps something in Maxamet or Cru-wear. Maybe a Para 3.
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

twinboysdad wrote:Chapparal?
Is it a good EDC or primarily more of a gentleman's folder? I would love that steel and the wire clip.
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

Robbob wrote:Perhaps something in Maxamet or Cru-wear. Maybe a Para 3.
That's an option for sure, however I have a Paramilitary 2 and don't find myself carrying it that often.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

ivtecdaily wrote:
Robbob wrote:Perhaps something in Maxamet or Cru-wear. Maybe a Para 3.
That's an option for sure, however I have a Paramilitary 2 and don't find myself carrying it that often.
Is it the design, or the size?
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

I think it's the size of the 2, but perhaps its the g10 scales because for me it makes it tough to get in and out of the pocket. I had to have it though because they made the left handed model.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

If you like smallish, Urban and Dragonfly.
(also no issues with right or left handed)

Oh and if you feel like trying out SE, try a SE Salt 1 or 2. Similar to the Delica but linerless, great blade.
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

Joris Mo wrote:If you like smallish, Urban and Dragonfly.
(also no issues with right or left handed)

Oh and if you feel like trying out SE, try a SE Salt 1 or 2. Similar to the Delica but linerless, great blade.
I have been eyeballing the Dragonfly for awhile and I don't know what is holding me back, sell me on it :D

Also, I saw the new salts and thought about that too.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The Dragonfly is one of those typical Spydies that you have to hold & use to believe it.. Tiny knife but a big cutter.
Actually the Urban is similar in use & feel but to many people it's an issue to not have a proper lock.
(today's Spydie slipits are great though)

The new Salts are great, I do prefer the old ones (slightly slimmer handle) but either will serve you very well for EDC.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would buy a Chaparral1.

It is a nice EDC and with it's 2mm blade stock it is a great slicer.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

You need a Military, and a Salt.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Nate

Post by Nate »

Chaparral or Urban are my suggestions. Both are great smaller edc options. I know a lot of people swear by the Dragonfly, but I've never handled one.
:spyder:
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

ivtecdaily wrote: I have been eyeballing the Dragonfly for awhile and I don't know what is holding me back, sell me on it :D

Also, I saw the new salts and thought about that too.
Of the Spyderco knives I own, the Dragonfly is, IMO, the most refined in terms of design and ergonomics. It won't do everything at that size, but it'll do the vast, vast majority of EDC tasks without trouble. I would recommend the ZDP version, or the HAP40 sprint if you can get it. It's the only Spyderco so far that bought a second time (I don't count the Sages, as they're much more different).
ivtecdaily wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Chapparal?
Is it a good EDC or primarily more of a gentleman's folder? I would love that steel and the wire clip.
It's a great EDC. Like the Dragonfly, it's a great small knife with very good ergonomics. It's stronger than it looks due to the full liners, and I personally really like the looks of it. The FRN lightweight version is going to be very good, so you might wait on that one. Otherwise, the CF or Raffir Noble versions are both very reasonably priced.

In terms of your original question, I'd recommend a Techno out of the models I own, and the Caly 3, Gayle Bradley, or Slysz Bowie out of those I don't.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
anycal

Post by anycal »

You need to go a hair bigger than Endura. How about the soon (I hope) to be released Police 4? Or a Military.
Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I had those knives and money to blow I'd buy a Military and/or a Street Beat.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

Well, thinking of all your suggestions, my choice is going to be between a Chaparral 1, Dragonfly, or a SE Salt 2. I kind of cut out the Urban because I already have a UKPK, and the MIlitary for being huge lol.

I think any of these three will be a nice and different addition to those I already own.

Hmm...decisions, decisions.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mule
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Sage 3 with the bolt lock, totally ambidextrous.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

The other thing you might consider is a Domino. It has similarly awesome ergos to the Manix or the Sage 3, but is noticeably smaller in the pocket than either. Plus, I really enjoy the flipping action (it's not a ZT, but it flips realiably with a soft enough detent that the spydie hole is usable).

If you want something more "ambi" (I'm a lefty as well, and liner/framelocks work just fine for me), you might consider a Sage 3. I love the bolt action lock--its definitely one of the smoothest knives I've used. The only downside is that is a bit bigger in the pocket than your Sage 5 because of the space needed for the lock.

The other thing you might look at (though absolutely not necessary) is adding something with a unique steel that you don't have: HAP40, M4, Cruwear or Maxamet as mentioned earlier.

A Mule is a great call as well. Of course, by definition it will be a unique steel. But its also just a great fixed blade, not too big and great ergos.