One spydie...just ONE.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ero2

One spydie...just ONE.

Post by ero2 »

I've carried a "borrowed" Native from my dad for the last 3 yrs...time to return his, and find my perfect one.

150$ ish budget
Carry in a suit AND in bball shorts (I've carried the native without comment clipped in my pocket since I got it)j
Weight of the Native is around perfect for me, so thinking PM2/Manix 2 LW
I know it's Spyderco forum, but am slightly open to others...BM Mini Grip Ritter was mentioned.
Contrary to popular belief, whatever I go with will be my one and only, its just how I am lol. One watch, one knife, etc.

With no store local that I can hold em, trying to make a solid call via other people's experiences. Thanks!
Tyrdle

Re: One spydie...just ONE.

Post by Tyrdle »

The Shaman is coming out sometime this year and it is basically a larger Native with a compression lock for around $155. I think it looks nicer than the Native. It's on page 13 of the new catalog: http://catalog.spyderco.com/midyearproductguide/
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Stretch 2
Manix 2 backlock (might be too bulky for in suit)
as main pics since I prefer backlocks and if you don't have that preference:
PM2
PM3
Manix 2 lw
remnar

Post by remnar »

It would be helpful if you give us a little more information about what you like in a knife. What did you like and not like about the Native? You mentioned that you liked the weight of the Native but was it a lightweight or g-10 version. Many people will have their favorite knives but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll like the knife. For example, Whitetail suggested the lightweight Manix but I find that knife to be too wide across the handle. Also, are you restricted by any blade length limits in your area?

Based on what little I know about your preferences and my own personal biases I would suggest a Sage 5 (or any of the Sages), or a Chaparral. The PM2 is also a great choice but for me it wouldn't quite fit the suit pocket carry category and I don't know if I'd want it flopping around inside a pair of shorts.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Sage 5.
Compression lock; check
Deep carry wire clip; check
Great blade steel (S30V); check
Slim enough to carry in a suit; check
Heavy duty enough for nearly all EDC tasks; check
Pillar construction; check
3" blade length legal nearly everywhere: check

I love my Sage 5.
My collection is ever changing!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

What's wrong with the Native? Did you like it? Was there anything you didn't like?
ero2

Post by ero2 »

remnar wrote:It would be helpful if you give us a little more information about what you like in a knife. What did you like and not like about the Native? You mentioned that you liked the weight of the Native but was it a lightweight or g-10 version. Many people will have their favorite knives but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll like the knife. For example, Whitetail suggested the lightweight Manix but I find that knife to be too wide across the handle. Also, are you restricted by any blade length limits in your area?

Based on what little I know about your preferences and my own personal biases I would suggest a Sage 5 (or any of the Sages), or a Chaparral. The PM2 is also a great choice but for me it wouldn't quite fit the suit pocket carry category and I don't know if I'd want it flopping around inside a pair of shorts.
The native seemed to hold up well for me, weight is perfect (could go a bit heavier), disappeared in my pocket be it suit or shorts...oh, and the native is the LW.

No blade limits in my area, and I find I'm kind of partial to the wider blade as I feel they hold up to potential hard use better (but could be wrong.) , but with the Pm2 and 3 popularity, probably am wrong. My first spydie was a Salsa and I loved it, and carried it FOREVER. I held a PM2 a few minutes ago and it is certainly sleek, and didn't feel too heavy...

Usage: Boxes, yard work, shop work, just kind of a little of everything, but also like it to be able to hold up to hard use (camping, mountain biking, etc. too.)

Sorry I was vague, certainly more I can give you, easier you guys can help me! :)

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=30
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Chaparral, any version, hands down.
ero2

Post by ero2 »

tonijedi wrote:What's wrong with the Native? Did you like it? Was there anything you didn't like?
Nothing, to be honest, could go Native 5 in maxamet for my budget as well.

I do have a sharpmaker, although am no pro at sharpening yet.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Military ( If it's legal in your area) and will never need another knife:) Even better is pay some $26 more for dark blue in S110V. Great steel on great knife.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Midnight Blue PM2 in S110V would be my first choice.

Midnight Blue Para 3 in S110V with an aftermarket deep-carry clip would be a very close second.

Sage 5 almost ties for second but comes in third (just barely) due to blade shape.

I could live with any of the three of those, and probably a Manix 2 LW or a Sage 3 or a Delica 4.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

One? If not another Native5 (why not?), I'd echo Mad German.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Native 5 is a nice knife, almost as good as a Delica 4 :D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

this_is_nascar wrote:Chaparral, any version, hands down.
...or a Delica, a very close second.
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

If you like the Native, I vote stick with the Native. It's a versatile size (not too big; not too small) and the lightweight gives you a few different steel options to choose from.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Any of the S110v Models are a good suggestion. It's a great all around steel. Depends on what size knife you want. I happen to like the Native a lot, they've got light weight and G-10 options. If your looking for something bigger the PM2 is hard to beat.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Go with Native5 LW S110V or any other flavor. You will never regret.
I used to prefer 3.5" bladed knives until I started to carry Native5 and find out that this knife is capable to do anything I need to cut. Currently most of the time I am carrying only 3" bladed knives: one of my Natives and Caly3.
But with Shaman coming out, I feel very attracted to this knife and certainly will try it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Another Native5 LW, why fight it.

But I agree that you should really check out the Sage 1,2,and 5... They are excellent every occasion knives. I'm a big fan of the Manix2 LW, but it's really not a suit/office carry IMO. The Chaparral is one ofy favorites, but it's much thinner than the Native5.

I probably post this pic too much, but hopefully it shows how the Sage sits right between the Native5 and Manix2 and helps your decision

Manix2, Sage1, Native5, Chaparral, Dragonfly2, Delica4
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

bh49 wrote:I used to prefer 3.5" bladed knives until I started to carry Native5 and find out that this knife is capable to do anything I need to cut. Currently most of the time I am carrying only 3" bladed knives: one of my Natives and Caly3.
Most knife people that I know (myself included) did exactly the same: 3.5" seems the right size but for most of us 3" is enough and more practical.
LDB

Post by LDB »

I was going to be smart and say a Centofante and a Sharpmaker but see you already have a SM so either another Native because you know you like it, a Manix 2 because it has such an excellent blade shape or a PM2 because who could argue with that choice. Good luck.