New Model Dropped: Lil' Nilakka Flash Batch (PICS)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

New Model Dropped: Lil' Nilakka Flash Batch (PICS)

Post by dplafoll »

Thanks to Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL for the chance to take the pics. Also, programming note, I took a pic of the insert this time; let me know if that's something you want me to do in the future.

Album link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1fsqAo
(video still uploading as of thread post)

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Thoughts:
I will admit I was not excited about this one on paper. But it's definitely more impressive in-person. It's very nicely made, as you'd expect from Taichung. The blade is super sharp, and looks very different with the near-zero grind. I like the extra touch of having a tiny hint of a swedge on the spine. I don't necessarily care for the writing on the blade, but I can certainly understand and excuse it on something like this, and I have seen much, much worse on other brands' knives. Part of the problem is that the blade is just so small so any writing stands out more. As you might be able to see in the comparison pics, the knife is roughly the same size as a Dragonfly but has a nearly-identical cutting edge to a Chaparral.
The handles are very nice in the hand. I was surprised at how well the simple handle shape filled my hand. I would certainly have to get used to not having any sort of guard up front, and by get used to I mean keep a (larger) stash of bandages handy. But I can certainly see the utility of having the edge be right there as far back and down as it can get. The cutout for the opening hole and liner lock is nicely done. The action is good, and opens up nicely. The lockup is good, at maybe 40% or so (apologies, forgot to take a lockup pic). There is a little bit of squeak between the lockbar and lock face, but that may be due to stray lubricant, and there was no lock stick or disengagement issues at all.

Buy it? I don't see why not. The price seems very reasonable for what you're getting, especially when considering the rarity of it. Of course, if you haven't bought one by now, you may already be out of luck...

Bonus picture; carried the Chaparral CF today, and I thought this was a good opportunity. :D

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
MacLaren

Re: New Model Dropped: Lil' Nilakka Flash Batch (PICS)

Post by MacLaren »

Man, I like it. Especially it being in RWL 34
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

That is a nice looking knife, good comparison with the dfly. Thanks for the pics!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Great comparison shots, and lots of good photos of the Lil Nilakka hiding away in the Flickr album! Thanks for sharing!
- Nick :bug-red
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Nice job, great pics. I'm very excited to receive mine, it's been a long wait.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Little Brother Inbound! :)
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

dplafoll wrote:Thanks to Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL for the chance to take the pics.
Stopped by Mark's today in hopes of scoring one of these puppies. Unfortunately, I was out of luck. :(
timlara

Post by timlara »

Robbob wrote:
dplafoll wrote:Thanks to Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL for the chance to take the pics.
Stopped by Mark's today in hopes of scoring one of these puppies. Unfortunately, I was out of luck. :(
There are some in stock over at KnifeWorks as of 6/5 for anybody who's looking. (Mine is inbound. :) )
Tim