Sprig question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

Sprig question

Post by ZMW »

I am going on my first duck hunt later this year, so it is the perfect excuse to add a new knife :) But, in all reality I will use this knife for more random work in the garage, every day chores, camping, fishing, whittling wood for fire, etc. I was waiting for a new Mule steel I really like, and may go that route. But, will the Sprig hold up just fine for that type of work? No batoning or abuse, but some good hard work?

Sprig? Or just find a nice mule like the 20cv or something else down the road?
EmperorMA

Re: Sprig question

Post by EmperorMA »

As a bird knife that'll be great around the kitchen and the camp, I doubt you could find a better choice than the Sprig. It's definitely number one on my fixed-blade list for those tasks.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

It does have a fairly thin edge so I wouldn't use it on anything too crazy but it was designed as a bird and fish knife so I'm sure you'll be happy with it for that. I use mine mostly in the kitchen and am very happy with it.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I have only used mine for game processing and it has excelled at that task. As someone else noted it is a fairly thin edge and use should be adjusted accordingly. The only item you listed I see that may be an issue would be whittling wood, it would do it but I don't think it would be the best choice for the task between the handle ergonomics/size to the thin edge.

For processing ducks I don't think you will find a better fixed blade knife in Spyderco's line-up for that task. You could but I wouldn't want to use a mule team blade from processing ducks as the blade shape would not suit my method.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

ZMW, I use the Sprig for waterfowl hunting ( no surprise there). You probably know Sprig is a nickname for a Pintail duck. I don't think you need to worry about it holding up. The best way to do joints like legs is to bend the joint back so you can see where the two bones come together and just cut the connection tissue. That way you don't actually cut through the bone. Some like to just pop the breast out by hand or there are some other tools designed to do that quick and easy. Problem is doing that wastes the best part. I like to pluck the breast keeping the skin intact and then just fillet it out working around the wings. I think you will find the blade shape with the narrow tip on the Sprig just right for that. Now you have the skin intact that keeps the breast nice and juicy on BBQ. This also work nice on geese and especially if you get lucky and harvest some Spec's ( white front geese). Just like prime rib. Main thing on waterfowl is not to over cook, like any other game. You want a crisp skin and medium rare. I also pluck and breast out teal and then wrap in bacon with a jalapena and garlic slice inside. Anyhow good luck and be warned water fowl hunting is addictive. Phil
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If the question is "Sprig?" the answer is always "Yes!"
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Great blade. I use this at work for boxes and at home in the kitchen for deboning chicken. Got it to try out a short thin edged fixed blade and that s90v. Can't say that it has a handle made for wood ether. The sheath is well made and I find it comfy to have on the belt. Edge retention has been amazing
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

You can't possibly go wrong with the mighty Sprig. :)

I've only used mine to fillet fish, cutting through hard bones that destroy the edge of Dexter Russell's or similar on first contact. The Sprig cuts through them no worries and after 20 plus fish it's still serviceably sharp after a couple of halfhearted touch ups on a strop. :cool:

Just a little word of caution though, don't slip it back into the sheath saltwater and a little blood wet. It discoloured with the onset of corrosion within a couple of hours on a hot day but only were the blood was. :o

It's without doubt currently my favourite fixed blade knife and it doesn't even bother me anymore that it's stamped Taiwan. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Sprig is amazing and you cannot go wrong with it. The Mule is also a great design and I have cleaned a lot of game with it as well. I really couldn't tell you which one to get but I can give you a comparison pic to help you make up your mind.

They have the same blade stock thickness and the taper to the spine is about the same. The blade profile is however quite a bit different giving the Sprig a much more acute tip. Also, the edge thickness is much thinner on the Sprig. The Sprig is a durable knife and has cleaned many fish and many small mammals for me. It can cut through panfish bones without damage.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tim_B_Riding

Post by Tim_B_Riding »

The sprig isn't really a heavy duty camp knife. That being said it excels at what it was designed for: cleaning fish and small game. When I'm not using it for fishing it lives in my kitchen and get's a fair amount of use. I can't recommend it for general garage chores and whittling as the edge is thin. Sounds like you need two knives. A sprig and a Mora.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Thanks for the replies, man you guys are good salesmen! Sprig it is, and I will keep in mind the thin edge and not use it for too difficult of chores.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

You won't be disappointed with the Sprig....a GREAT knife for it's designed purpose, and more. One of my favorite Spydies. :spyder:
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I bought a sprig a few days ago from eBay using the 20% off code mentioned in the deals thread (should still be active, if you don't mind using eBay). Really excited to get mine!