What a cool little knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
425KRS

What a cool little knife

Post by 425KRS »

Picked this up from a collectors club member, came in the mail today. Very cool little knife, the action is really smooth, easy to open one handed. Good thickness to the handle, feels pretty good in hand. My first knife with RLW-34 steel too (made by the Swedish company Damasteel). Individually numbered out of the 1200 total "flash batch". Took a few pictures to share, included a Dragonfly 2 in one of the pictures to give you a little bit of a size comparison. The knife came in a soft zippered case with a flash batch pamphlet. Anyone else planning on getting one of these?

:spyder:
Mushroom

Re: What a cool little knife

Post by Mushroom »

Great pickup, congrats! Nice comparison shot with the dragonfly too, really helps to gauge the size before holding it. I'm looking forward to getting one of these as well.
-Nick :bug-red
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

Mushroom wrote:Great pickup, congrats! Nice comparison shot with the dragonfly too, really helps to gauge the size before holding it. I'm looking forward to getting one of these as well.
Thanks! Yea, I thought the DF2 would be good for comparison since it's a pretty common Spyderco that many people have handled before. Did I mention how sharp the Lil' Nilakka is!? Quite sharp right out of the box (err case).
palonej

Post by palonej »

What a great looking knife brother!!
Joe
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

Lil’ Nilakka Flash Batch Pamphlet text:

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Just ordered from BHQ, really looking forward to this one, the full size is a great piece, can't wait to see them side by side.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
palonej

Post by palonej »

Aaaaaaand they're gone!!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Very awesome! Congrats! I'm not sure I need this one though...
Josh
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

murphjd25 wrote:Very awesome! Congrats! I'm not sure I need this one though...
Yes nice looking, very cool and unique. But I can't justify 155 bucks for something that small.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bouhunter wrote:
Yes nice looking, very cool and unique. But I can't justify 155 bucks for something that small.
Yep. I used to be all about this knife but I have fallen out of love. Sucks bc it's RWL 34 which I really like- I have the mule.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bouhunter wrote:
I was out when I saw the MAP pricing and lately I've been irritated by artificial product shortages like flash runs, sprints, etc. It's still cool and looking is still free. :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 425KRS,

Thanx much for the comments and pics.

Hey JRinFL,

I don't think that we're creating "artificial product shortages" with the "flash batch". We try to assess a design sales when we begin the project. We generally have to order 1200 pcs at a time. Many of the models don't sell as swell as others and sitting on inventory that is moving slowly is not good business. The market for Scandinavian blades is not large. To make a run and then disco the model doesn't work well with our customers, so we are using the "Flash Batch" concept to let our customers know up front that it is a short run.

It's not a "Sprint" because it's all new tooling.

sal
wheats

Post by wheats »

If the quality is on par with the Nilakka, and it looks that way in the pictures, this is a very reasonably priced piece. Artificial shortages would be a distributor or small group of buyers holding all the stock. This is a limited run and was communicated that way from the beginning.
Looks fantastic Sal! Can't wait for this one!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I can't decide if I want this knife or if I want something else but with white g10. I wish Spyderco would use White more often.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Where I overthink this is I want a liner lock to be robust and they usually are not on these smaller knives
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Really nice looking and thanks for sharing but it also tells me that I was right not to pre-order it.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow! I think I may need to grab one of these. Thanks for the photos
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Tim_B_Riding

Post by Tim_B_Riding »

So this means they are shipping and dealers should start having them in soon? I have on on pre-order for months now.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I'd look at this one if not for the baby Jess Horn coming along.
~ Nate