SD knives as Workhorse

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nemo3000

SD knives as Workhorse

Post by Nemo3000 »

Hello,

well, we all know the primary purpose of a self defense knife.

But from Fred Perrin La Griffe to Michael Janich Yojimbo, one thing is IMHO obvious:
a good workhorse will always be a good SD knife and not the contrary.

With this idea in mind I'm taking a Yojimbo2 on the long EDC run and see how it survive the EDC chores:
food prep, eating a plate, whittling, mild bushcraft, mondaine tasks...

I remember some lines in Michael Janich book "Street Steel" telling : Image

As I have found a Knifeworks version of the Yojimbo2 (S90V and CF) I thought it would be great to use it for that.

Who else is using his Yojimbo2 or Spyderco SD tools as primary EDC companion ?

Cheers
Nemo
https://nemoknivesreview.com/
T-1000

Re: SD knives as Workhorse

Post by T-1000 »

I would say the Endura 4 with Emerson wave is my favorite double duty Spyderco. They are so light you can carry two of them and still barely notice, but you can whip out a nearly 4" blade with a reliable lock and excellent cutting geometry (hate that word) when you need it, at work or in an emergency situation.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep. I carry my Yojimbo 2 all the time and it has only ever seen utility use (thankfully). It would be an epic box knife if it were flat ground but it still gets the job done well enough especially if you don't penetrate deeper than the tip before it thickens up at the hollow grind. My only complaint in use has always been that it's a thick low hollow grind so it isn't the best at slicing rigid materials.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I have a great respect for Janich,and i think his take on using a knife for SD in a non lethal fashion in higly inteligent and valuable in our modern world.
With all that said,the Yohimbo wasnt for me.I had one,and i realy tried to like it,but the thick hollow grind,the partial ocluded spydie hole and the wharncliffe blade simply didnt fit me.
I second the Endura choice for SD/EDC,or the Delica for EDC/SD.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I like to consider any Spyder that I carry/EDC will double as an SD blade and/or utility use knife as well. Take my beloved M390, C-36 Military model for instance>> I deem it as a great SD blade, well maybe not quite as good as Mr. Janich's great SD designs but I still deem it to be quite the SD blade. But now that I've made it my main EDC for at least the past 5 months or so I also feel quite confident that it would do well if "GOD Forbid" I ever had to use it in a real self defense situation.

Because the extremely wicked edge I get with that M390 blade steel is truly in a higher category than most IMO. Actually I believe that most folders that Spyderco makes could be used as ideal SD blades IMO.

Another folder I believe is ideal for SD uses is my beloved C-60 Massad Ayoob model. Especially the G-10 handled Sprint version really made that model a super SD blade in my humble opinion. And I can say with all honesty that everything I carry can also be easily used and a workhorse or "hard use" blade as well.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I EDC a Yojimbo from time to time. I like it a lot and it is a boxcutter on steroids. The blade stock is a tad thick. The ergos are perfect.

I rarely think of knives as SD tools. That is what guns are for. I do think that it is good advice to use your SD knife for EDC in order to establish the muscle memory of deploying it. At least it sounds logical.

I would pick the Military as a dual purpose knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Anyone enjoy the p'kal? I've always paired it with a utility blade like a pm2 but I wonder how it will work as a all in one edc blade.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

To quote Plato: "Let no one ignorant of geometry enter"...(« mèdeis ageômetrètos eisitô mou tèn stegèn » in Greek)
I have used diamond to thin the edge on mine on only one side.
Now my Yo2 is cutting easily. But when I got it ... it was almost a butter knife.
(Tendencies to exaggeration are my second and third nature.)
ImageImage
Last edited by Nemo3000 on Fri May 19, 2017 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I unfortunately have no Yojimbo to tell, but truth is,
I've found the Lil' Matriarch to be an excellent "little" EDC folder, for food and boxes alike

sorry wrong pic, edited for good :thumbsup:

it's be nasty against cloth and flesh, that is for sure
Last edited by ThePeacent on Sat May 20, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

ThePeacent wrote:I unfortunately have no Yojimbo to tell, but truth is,
I've found the Lil' Matriarch to be an excellent "little" EDC folder, for food and boxes alike :thumbsup:

Is it hiding behind the Espada?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Two words - Delica Wharncliffe.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My take on the whole "SD" thing is this: are you prepared to go hands if the other person is threatening to but unarmed? Do you own a trainer and have you executed a draw and open with a resisting partner? I just have a hard time envisioning a scenario where I wouldn't be either a) throwing rights at someone's melon or liver or b) pointing a gun at them. There just aren't many scenarios where a knife is the right choice although I admit there are some. Carry whatever knife you like and even a Rescue would work if you are committed...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yo2, PM2.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

twinboysdad wrote:My take on the whole "SD" thing is this: are you prepared to go hands if the other person is threatening to but unarmed? Do you own a trainer and have you executed a draw and open with a resisting partner? I just have a hard time envisioning a scenario where I wouldn't be either a) throwing rights at someone's melon or liver or b) pointing a gun at them. There just aren't many scenarios where a knife is the right choice although I admit there are some. Carry whatever knife you like and even a Rescue would work if you are committed...
Amen.
That's why some SD knives can be converted into great EDC TOOLS.
A SD knife don't need a "super" steel but a super construction.
A Yojimbo2 (if considered pure SD) with a S90V blade should be an oxymoron, don't you think ?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

T-1000 wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:I unfortunately have no Yojimbo to tell, but truth is,
I've found the Lil' Matriarch to be an excellent "little" EDC folder, for food and boxes alike :thumbsup:

Is it hiding behind the Espada?
sorry, edited for good

spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

soundshaman wrote:Anyone enjoy the p'kal? I've always paired it with a utility blade like a pm2 but I wonder how it will work as a all in one edc blade.
I love the Reverse,which is kinda a fixed blade P'kal.Great edc knife,besides its original purpose.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.