Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
timlara

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by timlara »

Bdubs808 wrote:
ejcr98 wrote:Please give it a deep carry wire clip

+1
I second (third?) this request if it's at all possible at this stage in the process -- and of course if SpyderNut agrees, as he may well have his reasons for the steel clip choice -- but for me, a carry similar to the Dragonfly or Chaparral would be ideal.
Tim
rivy

Post by rivy »

Long time listener, first time caller...

I had to register to comment on this. The upgrades sound great, but the PRICE was the factor that had this knife on the top of my list. If this thing is in the neighborhood of $100 or more, I'm out for sure. The knife is too small and the design too funky to warrant paying Sage prices. A wire clip would be incredible, especially for a knife this size, but price will be the big factor here.

If I'm going to spend $80+, I'll get a native 5 or a stretch or something else. I think that's about the price cap I'd be willing to consider this knife at, anything more is a complete deal breaker. Hopefully because it's so small the upgrades won't double the price of the knife.

Also... if they're starting production over, I wonder how long until we see it or hear anything about the pricing? Definitely a little disappointed with this news.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I'm guessing that with the move to Taichung, XHP and CF/G-10 the price will go up from $48 to closer to Sage5's $138.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Reminder: the price on XHP has come down enough that Cold Steel upgraded most of their lineup to it a little while back. It may not have as much of a price impact as we might think. I'm not knocking XHP in any way and it still deserves to be called a premium steel, but it could also be considered a really good value in a premium steel now. And the CF/G10 laminate is certainly less expensive than full CF. I'm not going to be surprised at $120-140, but I also wouldn't be surprised for it to come in at $85-100 either.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RamZar wrote:I'm guessing that with the move to Taichung, XHP and CF/G-10 the price will go up from $48 to closer to Sage5's $138.
make sense. the same materials, the same lock.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Hey Rivy, and welcome! Yeah, it seems like a good amount of us are disappointed that the price is going up probably to where most of the rest of the models are. The original price we saw was without question a surprising value, and now we know why. That factory won the business by undercutting on pricing, not by skills or merit. When it came time to deliver, well, I guess Spyderco got what it paid for and it just didn't work out.

Now they have to deal with what amounts to a broken promise to their fans. I'm sure Taichung could make the exact same model with the exact same materials, but it would still be more expensive and I think that would insight even more outrage. So instead they said "hey, if it's gotta cost more, maybe they won't be so mad if they get something better too". It's kind of masking the price increase and justifying it with better materials. Also it offers them the opportunity to make up some of what they lose in value customers by now appealing to those who were thumbing their nose at BD-1. They've shifted the market. Basically, they're doing their best to keep the most of us happy!

I know I sound like an apologist, but I am still disappointed too myself. I'm pretty poor right now, so that price was super attractive. So I'm not saying we can't be disappointed, just saying don't feel betrayed. The alternative would have been worse, and I think Spyderco have been around and dealing with us knuts long enough to know that.

Sorry this is what brought you on the forum, but I certainly welcome you to stay!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
araneae

Post by araneae »

Pretty sure the cost will push this out to a slim maybe from must have. Don't see how it going from a basic working person's knife to full Afi model with the bells and whistles makes a lot of sense. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure it will be nice, just not the same knife some people were excited about. Taichiung can't make a decent knife in more modest materials?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would much rather see plain G10 than PPCF. For me PPCF adds nothing but cost. Some people like it but I, to put it nicely, don't.

While on one hand I am excited to see this design, from one of our own, get the royal treatment I fear that this knife is a little to niche for a higher price point. Much like some of the G10 Seki knives I fear that this is another great design that may suffer due to price point. That said, I am hoping for the best and wish Spyderco and Michael nothing but success with this model.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would much rather see plain G10 than PPCF. For me PPCF adds nothing but cost. Some people like it but I, to put it nicely, don't.

While on one hand I am excited to see this design, from one of our own, get the royal treatment I fear that this knife is a little to niche for a higher price point. Much like some of the G10 Seki knives I fear that this is another great design that may suffer due to price point. That said, I am hoping for the best and wish Spyderco and Michael nothing but success with this model.
I agree w/ you on the recent Seki models -- models like the Q-Ball and Lil Temp 3 would almost certainly be on my list if they were made in Golden, but the added cost of making them in Seki puts them just a little higher than I'd like, and my experience with the fit and finish on G10 models from Japan has been hit or miss, so I'm less willing to take the risk. (The classic FRN models from Seki are excellent, though, and I would and do recommend them without hesitation.)

Taichung on the other hand, has not let me down yet as I feel like all the models I own that were made there have been well worth the price. The Sage 5 for example is still very reasonably priced imo, even though it has the G10/CF laminate adding to the cost.

I also kind of feel like higher end fit and finish will actually be a plus for a more "niche" model like the Rhino, since it is more likely to appeal to enthusiasts / collectors, which is a segment that seems to appreciate higher fit and finish more than the general public.
Tim
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

It will be cool to see a premium version of such a cool design. However, I haven't been buying as many knives recently due to price, and other interests. So a small compression lock knife, designed by a fellow forum member, that was also cheap had me very interested. At the old price I would have bought one, but I'm not sure I can afford it anymore. I understand why they had to do this, but the price was my main motivation towards the Rhino. I would also rather have plain black G-10 if it brought the price down. The CF laminate looks good, but adds nothing in function, but adds in price. However, Spyderco has plenty of other budget options, so I shouldn't complain too much! :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

In my experience peel ply g10 wears down much faster than peel ply carbon fiber. I think using carbon fiber will add to the longevity of the knife.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

Spyderco did the right thing under the circumstances, not complaining. But I want to make a case for the < $100 street price crowd for the future. We don't want knives that are good for the price, we just want good knives like the Endura, the Manix 2 Lightweight, etc. You get full size Spyderco folders with good steels, made in 1st world nations, and high end factories. It's time we get a full mid-size(or larger) compression folder with a street price under $100.
bearfacedkiller

Longevity? I have never seen a worn out piece of G10. I have a Para2 that was carried everyday for three years and while it did smooth over a bit it is far from worn out and is still grippy. It would take longer than I will be on this earth to wear out a piece of either. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Longevity? I have never seen a worn out piece of G10. I have a Para2 that was carried everyday for three years and while it did smooth over a bit it is far from worn out and is still grippy. It would take longer than I will be on this earth to wear out a piece of either. ;)
Really? I've noticed many g10 knives smooth down and lose their texturing. My cf Yojimbo still feels almost like the day I got it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd agree with Darby, mine smooth out a bit, but can't see wearing a piece of g-10 out in my lifetime.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

araneae wrote:Pretty sure the cost will push this out to a slim maybe from must have. Don't see how it going from a basic working person's knife to full Afi model with the bells and whistles makes a lot of sense. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure it will be nice, just not the same knife some people were excited about. Taichiung can't make a decent knife in more modest materials?
^This. I'm weary of everything being turned into some kind of collectible super safe queen knife. A non-boring design on a workmans tool is a beautiful thing.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

araneae wrote:I'd agree with Darby, mine smooth out a bit, but can't see wearing a piece of g-10 out in my lifetime.
I never said it would wear out. I said that g10 smooths out over time. I've yet to notice any smoothing out on my cf knives.

@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

I agree that they smooth out a little but mine haven't lost their texturing and even my most worn G10 knives are still wearing holes in my work pants. You may be right that the PPCF feels new longer but I wouldn't call that longevity. I think we are just looking at it two different ways. I see what you mean now. :)
-Darby
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I was actually pondering this during one of my commutes this evening (yes, I know, I have a problem). Why peel-ply CF at all? If it looks and feels pretty much just like G-10, what the heck is the point other than for posterity? It can't reduce weight by much, if any, and maybe it tastes better but I"m not about to find out. Is it indeed wear resistance? Will CF resist dents and dings better than G-10, which I think we can agree is pretty soft in that regard?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

PayneTrain wrote:I was actually pondering this during one of my commutes this evening (yes, I know, I have a problem). Why peel-ply CF at all? If it looks and feels pretty much just like G-10, what the heck is the point other than for posterity? It can't reduce weight by much, if any, and maybe it tastes better but I"m not about to find out. Is it indeed wear resistance? Will CF resist dents and dings better than G-10, which I think we can agree is pretty soft in that regard?
I think it looks nice :o

@liquid_cobra