Trip to Spain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ejcr98

Trip to Spain

Post by ejcr98 »

I am heading to Spain for vacation for two weeks. I'll visit Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Seville, Cordoba, and Granada.

Anybody know what the law on carrying knives is in Spain? On any of those specific places?

Toledo used to be known for its steel a couple of centuries ago. Anybody know of a good Spanish brand of pocketknives? I may want to get a good Spanish brand pocket knife as a souvenir from the trip.

Thanks,
holeshot

Re: Trip to Spain

Post by holeshot »

First, have a great and safe trip. As to carring a knife as a tourist I wouldn't do that. Foreign prisons suck :) that being said a sock filled with the local coins can give you a modicum of comfort ;)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

ejcr98 wrote:I am heading to Spain for vacation for two weeks. I'll visit Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Seville, Cordoba, and Granada.

Anybody know what the law on carrying knives is in Spain? On any of those specific places?

Toledo used to be known for its steel a couple of centuries ago. Anybody know of a good Spanish brand of pocketknives? I may want to get a good Spanish brand pocket knife as a souvenir from the trip.

Thanks,
I don't have the answers to your questions, but here's some appropriate easy listening to set the mood for your upcoming trip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EFoZJ25QL-U
https://youtube.com/watch?v=l6ru59tLb-I
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

ejcr98 wrote:
Legally you can carry non automatic knives with less than 11 centimeters of blade, but actually the decision depends of the police officers. They can confiscate any knife under 11cm if they consider it dangerous because of the situation, owner...
Having a normal behavior and carrying non intimidating blades you shouldn't have any problem, avoid carrying knives in nightlife areas and so on.... common sense, you know...

Hope this help you, Pm me if you have any particular question.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

I have been carrying anything between a Brous Silent Soldier and a Manix 2 everywhere around Madrid, clipped to my pocket, with zero issue - common sense prevailing as mentioned above by Filoso.
I normally avoid keeping the knife with me when entering official / administration buildings.
However I happened once to forget the DPX HEST I had with me when visiting the Policia Nacional for a paperwork issue linked to my residency (me being French) :o .
When the metal detector went BUZZ, I explained to the female police officer manning the security gate that I had worked on something at home in the morning and forgot the knife (which was true but...).
She examined the HEST briefly and shot me a (surprised? wary?) look but nevertheless accepted to keep the knife at the gate during my visit.
I got it back with no problem 15 mn later when leaving the premises.

That's an experience I would rather not willingly repeat though... :o

Gerard
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Use this as a reason to buy a Pingo, SpyDK, or Urbam
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

twinboysdad wrote:Use this as a reason to buy a Pingo, SpyDK, or Urbam
As short blades go I have the Silent Soldier and a DPX HEAT that I like a lot.

And I am mainly using this to remember to check my pockets whenever I am visiting certain specific places... :(

Gerard
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

As filoso said, legal blades here are: no auto, no double edge, less than 11cm (4.2 inches) in length but the law gives the final word to the officer and his judgment and opinion depending on the context and situation in which the knife was found.

You can carry a nice SAK in a public park, but you'd better not be caught with a 2" liner lock inside a night club or doing weird things late night on the street.
common sense and there should be no problems.

I often carry a Pacific Salt around town (Barcelona) or similar folders, don't show them off, use them discreetly, never had a problem!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Are you driving into Spain, or flying?

If flying with carry-on only, why not buy a knife locally, then discard it or ship it home before the return flight?

My wife and I are flying to Tuscany this Fall and I plan to pick up a remembrance (for picnics) from here (http://www.coltelleriasaladini.it/en/collectors-knives/) to ship home, and, failing that, an Opinel I can discard if I have nothing else to ship home.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I'll be traveling in Spain for 2 weeks this May and have regular luggage so that I can bring a multitool, fixed blade and probably 2-3 folders.
(at least 1 PE & 1 SE)
Will be a bit of a roadtrip and some hiking, when traveling is usually when I carry and use knives most.

Always nice to bring some sharp souvenirs, my collection largely started out when I was about 8-12 and bringing home knives from holidays in France.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. Are locking knives allowed? I know they are not allowed in various countries in Europe.

Thanks again.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

ejcr98 wrote:Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. Are locking knives allowed? I know they are not allowed in various countries in Europe.

Thanks again.
They are legal, just frowned upon on most places (like "tactical" looks, large blades, etc.) and by most people
Even if you are within legal length and carry, consider your environment and the context you're in before using it,as the final word depends on the officer's discretion and decision.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ThePeacent wrote:
ejcr98 wrote:Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. Are locking knives allowed? I know they are not allowed in various countries in Europe.

Thanks again.
They are legal, just frowned upon on most places (like "tactical" looks, large blades, etc.) and by most people
Even if you are within legal length and carry, consider your environment and the context you're in before using it,as the final word depends on the officer's discretion and decision.
Very similar here. Sharp edged weapons are not allowed. A pocket knife can be considered one, depending solely on the officer's discretion & decision.
Chris :spyder:
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

We visited Spain last year. I found a long time family owned knife company named Pallares in the city of Solsona. They make many different knives with many being of traditional local design. Many are simple slip joint design. Very friendly people. They spoke mostly Spanish and French. Luckily, the brains in the family, my wife, speaks decent French and was able to help me buy a couple of fixed blades and a couple of folders. Mike
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

anagarika wrote:Very similar here. Sharp edged weapons are not allowed. A pocket knife can be considered one, depending solely on the officer's discretion & decision.
Where is this "here" in your answer?
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Mike157 wrote:We visited Spain last year. I found a long time family owned knife company named Pallares in the city of Solsona. They make many different knives with many being of traditional local design. Many are simple slip joint design. Very friendly people. They spoke mostly Spanish and French. Luckily, the brains in the family, my wife, speaks decent French and was able to help me buy a couple of fixed blades and a couple of folders. Mike
I live 30 mins. away from Solsona, and I have my share of Pallares slipjoints.

They were my EDC folders before Opinels and Spydercos! They are the Catalan's peasant knife :D

Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Pallares are nice, one of my favorite kitchen knives is a fixed blade Pallares but I think they aren't being made much anymore.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

Joris Mo wrote:Pallares are nice, one of my favorite kitchen knives is a fixed blade Pallares but I think they aren't being made much anymore.
http://www.pallaressolsona.com/?page_id=22450&lang=es
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

gmhauy wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Pallares are nice, one of my favorite kitchen knives is a fixed blade Pallares but I think they aren't being made much anymore.
Thanks, I had looked there before but hadn't found it. Cuchillo cocina Mango redondo boj-with leaf shaped blade. Did find it this time, good motivation to look for it again when in Spain!
(mine is carbon steel, would like to get one in stainless as well)
And there is an English option as well: Kitchen knives H/BOXWOOD ;)
http://www.pallaressolsona.com/?page_id=22762

Do you happen to have any good pointers on where to find knives in Madrid? :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Joris Mo wrote:
gmhauy wrote:
Thanks, I had looked there before but hadn't found it. Cuchillo cocina Mango redondo boj-with leaf shaped blade. Did find it this time, good motivation to look for it again when in Spain!
(mine is carbon steel, would like to get one in stainless as well)
And there is an English option as well: Kitchen knives H/BOXWOOD ;)
http://www.pallaressolsona.com/?page_id=22762

Do you happen to have any good pointers on where to find knives in Madrid? :)
Well there are three major cutlery shops that I know of in the city (sure there might be others but I don't really know them) and I have actually acquired some nice pieces on my visits there on this one:

http://www.cuchilleriasimon.es/

It's one of the biggest stores for sharp stuff and sharpeners in the city, prices are typical Spanish (inflated Spydercos, Emersons, Cold Steels etc.) but equal or a tad lower than other similar places in Madrid, and their catalog is among the best.
Most American, Italian, French and Spanish brands can be found there and the staff is quite nice actually and show interest in the subject.

Another I can recommend is https://www.cuchilleriadavidgarcia.es/ which follows a similar offer in international pieces, and nice people to talk to.

Hope you have a great time and enjoy your stay! ;)