Battle of the 3" Blades: Delica4, Sage1/5, Native5, Para3, Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EmperorMA

Battle of the 3" Blades: Delica4, Sage1/5, Native5, Para3, Chaparral

Post by EmperorMA »

Without bringing the availability of exotic steels into the argument, which is the best EDC for you of these five Spydies?

What do you like about each? Dislike? I am rather certain I could own and love all five.

Let the battle begin!
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
ZrowsN1s

Re: Battle of the 3" Blades: Delica4, Sage1/5, Native5, Para3, Chaparral

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well between the Delica and the native, the delica has a very functional blade shape and is very thin. The Native has the blade choil and flat spine as well as a thicker blade. I like them both for different reasons. I own more natives.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

For me it's the Delica, hands down.

1. It's the most-affordable option
2. The blade shape is a better all-around shape for day-to-day
3. It doesn't tend to be as scary to the ignorant masses
4. It's available in many colors so there's less chance of clashing with my shoes
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm definitely no help in these situations. I chose them all.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Sharp Guy wrote:I'm definitely no help in these situations. I chose them all.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have a feeling I will end up with all five, as well. I may not keep them all, but somehow I think I'll buy them all and keep two or three. :)
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have not yet owned a Chap or a PM3, but the N5LW beats the Delica for me. More rugged and substantial. The Sages really aren't a fair comparison to FRN knives because of the weight differential. The Sages vs G10 N5 is a fair comparison and one I couldn't call. I suppose since I prefer AMERICAN made and s35 over s30 the N5 G10 gets the nod but the Sage 2 is such a wonderful knife as well. All are good EDCs
Last edited by twinboysdad on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Caly 3. See I'm no help either haha
Josh
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Love all these but if I had to choose one, it would be the Sage 1 ;) Love the cf, pillar construction, wire clip, and liner lock. Wouldn't leave the Delica, Sage 2 or Caly 3 behind.

Edit to add, I'm really with Brock O Lee on this for his same reasoning. If it were on the list the Sage 2 would get my vote followed closely by the Caly 3, Delica, and Chaparral. :p Imo, the Sage 2 even though a production knife, could compete with customs in the same size range. A really classic design, made great by Taiwan.
Last edited by Tdog on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Chaparral. Great ergonomics and super light to carry.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Delica 4: not being a big fan of FRN I bought the ti-dam model hoping the premier model would have premium fit and finish. I was way wrong. The scales are so far out of parallel that they scuff the blade tang when opening and closing. Sadly I never carry it, I have a Mantra 1 if I want to carry a “nice” Delica.

Sage 1/5: have the 1 and the 5 and love them both. They are always in my rotation of about seven knives.

Native 5: had the G-10 model, very nice knife but a little heavier than I need. Gifted it to my son-in-law who seems to like it.

Para 3: don’t have one, happy with my Sage 5.

Chaparral: have two of the CF versions and they are probably my most carried knife. A lot blade in a small package. I love the fit and finish and they’re just pure class.
Last edited by ronT2 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Where's my ukpk option?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I like my Sage/5 but you can't go wrong with any of the others :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've handled all of these except the Para3. Wanted to love the Delica, but the handle just didn't work for me.

Out of the Chaparral, Native, and Sage, it's hard to pick one since while they're sort of close on paper, they're pretty different knives. The Native is quite a bit more substantial than the Chaparral. Then the Sage is a notable step up from the Native.

I own multiple Natives, they're very good blades. Only have one Chap at the moment, but it's still my all time most carried :spyder:. I expect to pick up the RN and frn versions once available. No Sages yet. For me Manix2 > Sage.

So... today, out of these five, I'd have to say... UKPK! :D
:spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I totally agree with Manix > Sage. I own several Sage 3's and the Manix just works better for me.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Manix > 3"

Problems in many, many jurisdictions. :mad:

AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

murphjd25 wrote:Caly 3. See I'm no help either haha
^^ This is my answer, too. :p Native 5 is a close second. Haven't tried Para 3 or Chap. yet, though. Sage handle is a bit wide/tall for my preferences and Delica lacks a choil and just doesn't feel right in my hand at all. All of that is personal preference, though. For my EDC needs, any of 'em will work fine so for me, it is just a matter of personal preference. & I totally realize how unhelpful that is. :o
(Sent from iPod)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

AlwaysTomboy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:Caly 3. See I'm no help either haha
Sage handle is a bit wide/tall for my preferences....
AT just for clarification, with the exception of the Sage 3, the handles on the Sage series are almost identical in shape and size to the handles on the Native 5s. The Sage handles are a tiny bit longer and the Native 5 LW is a tiny bit thicker. Otherwise they're basically the same. The Sage 3 is a little taller due to the bolt-action lock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Native 5 is nice, but it is my least favorite between it and the Delica and Chaparral. The Delica and Chaparral both slice better and are better for everyday tasks. True, if I need something more rugged I would probably pick an N5 in this size range. The N5 is a little odd as to where the thumb wants to hit the blade for opening. I find I have to look for the hole if I am not paying attention. With the Delica and the Chaparral my thumb hits the hole first time every time.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Don't forget the wharncliffe delica too!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like the Sage 2 the most. Construction wise it is simplicity personified, easy to clean, smooth and thin handle and wire clip is easy on the pocket, ti seems to blend in with whatever I'm wearing, and the corners are well rounded and comfy. It is just the right size and weight for EDC. I thinned mine with a flat convex edge which is a joy to use, and it performs well enough even though it is "just" S30V.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi