New Salt handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

New Salt handles

Post by tonijedi »

Does anyone know when the models with the new handle for the Salt 1 will be released?
Will it be named Salt 2?

Is it going to be available (as it is now) with black handle and black blade in plain and spyderedge?
Slumblor

Re: New Salt handles

Post by Slumblor »

I think i heard it will be referred to as the Salt 2, and will be phased in as inventory of the Salt 1s is sold out. I'm looking forward to the release, I want a SE Salt 2.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

It will be called the Salt 2. Current plans are to offer yellow handles with satin blades and black handles with black TiCN-coated blades. Both will be available PlainEdge and SpyderEdge.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Thanks Mike!
I'm also going to grab one of these, my favorite folder is the Delica so I need a Salt Delica :)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Michael Janich wrote:It will be called the Salt 2. Current plans are to offer yellow handles with satin blades and black handles with black TiCN-coated blades. Both will be available PlainEdge and SpyderEdge.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Any word on whether those style handles will be carried over into the Delicas and Enduras?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I'd like to see a new international orange color.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Finally, some confirmation on an all black Salt 2! Thanks, Mike!
-Nick :bug-red
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Glad the new one has a different name (2). Would have been confusing to distinguish new and old if the name were the same.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Michael Janich wrote:It will be called the Salt 2. Current plans are to offer yellow handles with satin blades and black handles with black TiCN-coated blades. Both will be available PlainEdge and SpyderEdge.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Are the blades exactly the same? I thought I saw somewhere that they might be thicker or slightly longer.
mattman

Post by mattman »

StuntZombie wrote:
Any word on whether those style handles will be carried over into the Delicas and Enduras?
I thought the "new" Salt handles are the "current" D4/E4 handle mold? Am I mis-remembering?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

mattman wrote:
StuntZombie wrote:
I thought the "new" Salt handles are the "current" D4/E4 handle mold? Am I mis-remembering?
They are the same on the outside but different on the inside. The recesses in the scales for the liners are filled in with supports and I also assume the pivot is washerless so there is probably bushings integrally molded into the scales like the current Salts and the Native5. Looks like barrel bolts for the 4 way clip too. I think we are gonna see a titanium standard hourglass clip too for those that want to play with that, anodizing and all that fun stuff. ;)

See Wouter's pics;

https://spydercollector.wordpress.com/2 ... an-salt-2/

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mattman

Post by mattman »

I didn't think to look at Wouters pics!
Thanks!
(I don't see any barrel bolts, though)

I also don't see any reason to bring this to the Delica/Endura, either, except maybe to "simplify, and add lightness"...?
bearfacedkiller

You can see one of the bolts at the end of the handle. The clip in the pic is mounted tip up and it is screwed into the barrel bolts.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mattman

Post by mattman »

bearfacedkiller wrote:You can see one of the bolts at the end of the handle. The clip in the pic is mounted tip up and it is screwed into the barrel bolts.
Ahh.
I think of that as an "insert", and I would call the current clip attachment hardware in the Salts a "barrel bolt" (the style with the "coin drive"...

Vernacular...
bearfacedkiller

Yeah, threaded insert is a good way to put it. I sort of stalled as I was typing, had a brain fart, and couldn't think of what to call it.
-Darby
mattman

Post by mattman »

Gotcha.

Definitely no liners, though, which was what I was previously thinking they were keeping, but that would just make it an H1 Delica...

I appreciate that there is more of a distinction in the two lines.
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

Will the handles be made of frn or frcp?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

FRN
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

looking forward to this! Can Finally get a salt knife! never liked the squared handles or clips on the last ones. Feel like these changes are long over due.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Jmotley wrote:looking forward to this! Can Finally get a salt knife! never liked the squared handles or clips on the last ones. Feel like these changes are long over due.
My thoughts too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb