first Spyderco Purchase... Civilian fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Silerak

first Spyderco Purchase... Civilian fake?

Post by Silerak »

Hello all, I am new to the forum & to Spyderco knives. I made my first Spyderco purchase today. I am solely a Case XX knife collector, but today the Spyderco Civilian caught my eye and I was wowed by the knife design. I made the purchase on a whim & took it home, then I did some research. After reading about it more online, I believe that I bought a fake. I would appreciate the verification of my mistake. I will seek a real Civilian model if in fact this is not one. Purchased in Tucson, Az from a seller who claims to be a legitimate dealer. He claims that it is legit & has many more Spyderco knives in his shop for sale.

I updated the pictures...

Last edited by Silerak on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
farnorthdan

Re: first Spyderco Purchase... Civilian fake?

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum Silerak. Hard to tell from the pictures, did it come in a zippered pouch or box?

Unfortunately the Civilian is one of the most faked pieces out there, just take a look at Ebay. A model like the Civilian should always be purchased from a known/trusted vendor.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JT

Post by JT »

Welcome to the forums.
looks like used one?

I'd vote fake, sorry (two liners, boye dent missing, weird pivot screw?) Might be wrong though.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Silerak

Post by Silerak »

Thank you for the welcome JT.

It does appear to have been pre-owned, but no sign of wear on the blade edge.

The weight is 5.25 which is also red flag (Should of done my internet homework before purchasing).
Silerak

Post by Silerak »

farnorthdan wrote:Welcome to the forum Silerak. Hard to tell from the pictures, did it come in a zippered pouch or box?

Unfortunately the Civilian is one of the most faked pieces out there, just take a look at Ebay. A model like the Civilian should always be purchased from a known/trusted vendor.
Thank you for the welcome.

It came in a box, but the box is not even for the Civilian, no sticker outside & the paperwork inside which looks real (not copied) says Ti-Mil Military Model. Which is a totally different knife.

I will take it back to the seller and see what he will do for me. I paid $100 for it.

Another life lesson learned...