Definite purchases out of the new releases?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Definite purchases out of the new releases?

Post by Evil D »

Anyone narrowed down their can't pass up list yet? I've really pulled back on buying in recent years, mostly because I've come to deeply prefer some models so much that I have no interest in carrying even the other models I already own and love.

But, of the new models coming out this year I'm pretty sure there are 3 and maybe 4 that I don't think I can pass up even if it means I have to thin the herd to make room..

1) The knife formerly known as the Sliver - Whatever it's going to be called, this is the #1 knife on my wish list. I've been so obsessed with this knife since first seeing it that I've had to save some screenshots on my phone to ogle over when I'm bored. I haven't lusted after a knife this bad since the Yojombo 2 was first shown by Wouter in the Amsterdam pics. I'm gonna be heartbroken if this one ends up being a let down for me.

2) Manbug Salt - This one may not be so high on the list for some, but it's a knife I've wanted since before I even knew about Spyderco. I've always wanted a wharnie/sheepsfoot keychain knife and so far this is as good as it gets. I would definitely prefer it in the form of a Ladybug and definitely prefer it as a FFG and maybe even PE blade, but I'm definitely happy to have it as it is. It's gonna be a very capable little blade.

3) Caribbean Sheepsfoot - And maybe even the standard blade, and perhaps even both edge types of both depending on how it feels in use. I've wanted a full size wharnie/sheepsfoot ever since I got my hands on the Rock Lobster. The fact that it's a compression lock and a Salt, and supposedly a steel that performs better in PE than H1, all add up to near perfection for me. I'm not blown away with the handle color choice but I'm also optimistic that Spyderco will either change it or offer it in all black too, sort of like the current Salts are available in yellow or black. I am really excited for the machined G10 though, even if I have to dye it all black. I'd also love to see these in DLC too.

Beyond those my only dilemma is justifying additional purchases, because if those three live up to expectations they're sort of a dream team trio for me. The Manbug will be my dedicated keychain knife and companion SE knife, the Sliver will be my primary EDC and the Caribbean will be my go anywhere do anything without fear of rust beater knife.

A very close runner up, and the knife I'm most likely to buy if any of those 3 don't work out is the Manix (it needs an additional designation...Is it enough change to go with Manix 3?). If not that, then the D'Allara is right there with it, especially once the contoured version comes. I'm so curious if it will be offered in a sheepsfoot blade with and without SE.
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
3rdGenRigger

Re: Definite purchases out of the new releases?

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Police 4 is a must have for me at this point. It'll be like a high-end Endura but in K390 (At least that's my hope). At the very least, I want more K390 and the size is perfect for me at work so it's a no-brainer. I also need an ATR, just because. I also like the fact that it'll have G10 handles (I may be in the minority here) because they'll be a lot nicer at work than metal handle scales, especially in cold weather. I've also pulled back from buying a lot in recent years because I acquired a lot of the different steels and lock types that I wanted to try and I've definitely also narrowed down my preferences. I'll still buy cool knifes or knives that I like but won't likely ever carry (The Kris is a good example because it's just so cool looking and such a cool piece of Spyderco history), but I do tend to gravitate more these days to knives I'll carry and use at work, and as a result the Police 4 and ATR are the highest on my list at this point.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

See... ugh. I also have great interest in the Police 4 and ATR. The problem (apart from affording everything) is those larger knives at the top of my list seem to be so close to perfect for me I feel like they're going to dominate my pockets. Lately I've also been really eyeballing the Ouroboros but I get the feeling like I'm starting to run into some redundancy.

Example, I look at the D'Allara and I think of how awesome it would be in a PE sheepsfoot. Then I realized that it's basically a slightly smaller Caribbean with a different lock. Then I look at the Police 4, and although I love the original Police, and I like the changes being made to the new one, and I definitely want some K390, I don't see it being a knife I'd carry over a Military. It's the same with the Manix, I'm torn between wanting a linerless Manix and preferring the CBBL lock over the back lock.
~David
wheats

Post by wheats »

Chaparral RN, close to the perfect office EDC and at a great price especially with what other recent releases are going for. Lil Nilakka. The original is a little heavier than I'd like but the size along with those white g10 scales push it to a must buy this year.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I'd love pretty much every new release, especially the police 4, Caribbean sheepsfoot, the sliver, the manix backlock, but I've unfortunately come to realize money doesn't grow on trees, so I'm going to try to keep it limited to just getting the caly 3 sprint and the new chapparel 4 for the rest of this year. Those were going to be my only purchases this year but I already slipped up last night and got a cruwear military, because I don't have a Millie yet and I've always wanted one, and the Urban K390 because I just could not not have it. But I am honestly really going to try to keep it to those two other knives this year...I guess we will see though. This addiction has kind of blossomed out of control. Nobody to blame but me :)
Josh
wheats

Post by wheats »

Forgot about the Baby Jess Horn, Chaparral may have to wait
BrandoSpoke

Post by BrandoSpoke »

Carribean for sure. Not sure if i am going to just get the plain edge or both. Depends if I decide to use it for boating or not. ETA on release date?
"If you talk all the time, you will never hear what anybody else has to say, and therefore, all you'll have to talk about is your own conversation."
-Alan Watts
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Manbug salt for sure.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BrandoSpoke wrote:Carribean for sure. Not sure if i am going to just get the plain edge or both. Depends if I decide to use it for boating or not. ETA on release date?
Haven't seen anything yet. Unfortunately there's only so much production capacity. Some of these will no doubt be later in the year.
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I will be getting a Police 4 and Manix 2 back lock. I will most likely get a Baby Jess Horn, as well. What makes me slightly hesitate on this one is that I just bought a ULW K390. Money, you know.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For me, the sprint runs will be taking priority. HAP40 Meerkat, Lil' Nilakka, and HAP40 Caly 3 will be definite purchases for me.
Other than the sprint runs, I'll definitely be purchasing the Gen4 Dogtag, a set of the Throwers, and one of the variations of the Caribbean. Likely plain edge and sheepsfoot.
There are sooo many new models that I would love to have right away, but these ones will be definite for me.

And, if the Genzow Hatchethawk, that was featured at this years Amsterdam meet, makes its way to the market this year, I'll be getting one right away!
- Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

At this point the Caly 3 Sprint is the only must have for me. There are a few others that are bright blips on my radar like the FRN Chap, Raffir Noble Chap, Baby Jess Horn, and S110V UKPK (I'm sure I'm forgetting some). Aside from the BJH, I already have examples of those models so they're not really must haves for me.

I bought enough knives last year to last several lifetimes. So it's time to sit back and enjoy what I have for awhile. There's bound to be some sprints, exclusives, and other surprises coming yet this year that I won't be able to live without. I'm gonna wait and see what happens.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Meerkat, Qball, one eye jack, chefs knife, serrated cooks knife, lil sub hilt, hanan.
Something with lc200n. Hopefully a native and/or mule.
Edit: para 3 sprint if any pop up
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Police 4 - love the steel, the size and especially the weight, and a Caribbean, if these are at least Endura sized. Oh, and an M4 Military.
The Hundred Pacer is intriguing. I need to handle one.
Holding out for a Swayback!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Li'l Lum Nishijin - already bought
Caly 3 sprint
Jess Horn sprint
HAP-40 Meerkat
"Maybes"
Back lock Manix
LW Chaparral
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

I've had the Meerkat and Rhino on pre-order for a while now, so those 2 are at the top of the list by default.

The One Eyed Jack first struck me like a lightning bolt, but does anyone know if it will be production or sprint/flash?

That Lil'Nilakka keeps worming its way to the top, too. It looks like it will be one heck of a slicer, and I'm very curious about the new steel.

Edit: Forgot the Hap 40 Wharnie Delica!
Stay Golden :spyder:
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Caribbean Sheepsfoot and Manix back lock are on my radar...perhaps Lil Temp, too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Police4 and Hap40 Caly3 are must haves. So is the new doublestuff. If we get a Sprint run of the Backlock Manix I will have a hard time resisting. I really want a M4 Military but they are asking too much for me so only time will tell. If we see a Maxamet Military this year I will enthusiastically buy two.

I will probably pick up a bread knife and some throwing knives too.

The one eyed jack is probably gonna be my father's christmas present this year.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
attila

Post by attila »

Caly3 in HAP40 and a Para 3 sprint/exclusive when they come out.

If the lil nilakka were less $$ or had more wear resistant steel, I'd get one of them.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Must :
Fish Hunter
Sliver

Maybe :
Chaparral Raffir Noble