Filleting Fish...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Filleting Fish...

Post by Zatx »

I have a coworker that is an avid fisherman in whom I frequently share all kinds of knife information with. Over the years I've taught him how to properly care for a knife, how to strop to maintain his edges, and how to recognize a good quality knife (Round hole + Spyder logo) versus the trash sold in gas stations. He has a knife problem that I just don't have the solution for because I don't fish and don't possess those particular set of skills (much to the shame of my father who was on TV with a well-known fishing show).

Filleting fish.

He uses an electric serrated blade with cheap ($7) replaceable blades. He's asked if I would sharpen the many sets of dull blades that he has, but at $7 it's just not worth the time. I've told him to get a high-quality filet knife and to stop using these blades that are extremely soft steel, but he's convinced that slicing through fish bones will dull any knife way too quickly. I can't really argue with him, because I don't know if he's right about the bones, but I also don't have a recommendation for a good filet knife.

I know we have a lot of avid fishermen on our forums so I need your help.

So... two questions. First, is there a quick way to bring these cheap blades back to sharpness. And second, is there a Spyderco or other filet knife out there that will clean Bluegill and Bass for a couple of hours at a time?
Tim_B_Riding

Re: Filleting Fish...

Post by Tim_B_Riding »

Spyderco does offer the fixed blade Sprig. I've been eyeing it for sometime but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm not sure it would suit your friend though. It's pricey.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There are many of us who still hope for a Spyderco fillet knife. Either in the kitchen lineup in MBS26 or a Phil Wilson collaboration. Other than that there is the Sprig which isn't a fillet knife by most people definition.

Other than Spyderco there are some good affordable fillet knives out there. For US made look at Dexter Russell. They are extremely popular in the commercial fishing world. Also, the Rapala fillet knives are decent for the money. They are actually made in Finland by Marttiini. Rapala is also a finnish company. F. Dick also makes good fillet knives in the same price range. These can all be found for $20-30 and while they won't cut for hours they are good for the price and easy to sharpen. They are certainly affordable enough to have a few ready for work and they are way easier to sharpen than those disposable blades.

I will also add that my filleting technique has changed throughout the years and the flexible fillet knife like I believe we are talking about has become a one use tool for me that is mostly just used for skinning. I do most of my filleting with a more rigid knife. I was using a F.Dick rigid 5 inch boning knife until I got my Sprig. Now I just use the Sprig for filleting and the fillet knife for skinning.

If your buddy has been doing it one way for a long time getting him to change his technique may be tough.

My Sprig can clean a bucket of 50 panfish and still keep cutting.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
qazy

Post by qazy »

You can also look at Japanese style/technique of filleting fish. The knife they use is called deba. Its a heavy, ridged, single bevel blade. The technique relies on cutting the "rib bones" in one swift motion. There are multiple youtube videos about it.
On a downside, a good quality deba is expensive as any other good single bevel knife :( But something to keep in mind.

Example of what I mean:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLDgLV ... buz8ycEVpQ
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Zatx wrote:He uses an electric serrated blade with cheap ($7) replaceable blades. He's asked if I would sharpen the many sets of dull blades that he has, but at $7 it's just not worth the time.
Same here- my uncle dulls a lot of those blades. I suggested that maybe I could sharpen them so he gave my 5 sets to try it on.

This being a Spyderco forum I was thinking I could use a sharpmaker on them. If that doesn't work I've got a few other ideas to try. On our last group fishing trip we had about 350# of catfish to clean and they went through about 5 sets of the blades. They had a couple of traditional fillet knives for part of the work too. Cleaning catfish they don't cut that many bones but there is a lot of meat and a lot of skin to cut through.

One of the older guys had an old whetstone and an old sharpening steel. He would run one of the fillet knives a few strokes over each and think they were sharp. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he wasn't really doing proper sharpening.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

if hes looking for a folding filleting knife, he should try one of those opinel slim series model. i have personally tried filleting with this and obviously beats any of the spydies i own. blade steel touches up quite nicely

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

How long the blade will remain sharp an how well it will handle bones is going to come down to blade material, hardening and the geometry of the grind.

Here's 3 options to look at..

Although the Sprig is not a filet knife, it works quite well for that application and it's a little sturdier than a filet knife. Phil Wilson is a true expert in optimizing material, hardening and geometry for this type of use.

If your friend is willing to spend the $$ for an excellent filet knife that will give him the performance he doesn't think he can get, check out Phil's customs. http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/

If he wants to use a low cost option he's going to make sacrifices. I have found the Opinel above and the Rapala filet knives work well and although they'll have to be sharpened often, they're easy to sharpen quickly....and cheap enough to have a spare on hand if he wanted to.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
arty

Post by arty »

There are a number of options, including the Sprig. That one is tempting.
In addition, less expensive fishing knives include:
Warthers in S35V. These are traditional boning knives and hold an edge pretty well when going through bones. The blades are thin, but more like boning knives than fillet knives.
Fallkniven in VG10. Not as good as the Warther for holding an edge cutting fish bones, and more expensive. They are also thicker.
Tojiro VG10 Gokujo knives. These are heavy duty boning knives with curved blades. They have an excellent reputation. I haven't used them, but they are worth a look.
If still available, Bark River had a fishing knife in S35V. They have been moving to a different steel that I am unfamiliar with. They cost more than 2X the price of the Warthers.
A custom from Phil Wilson, if the dough is there.
Spyderco has a new kithen knife in VG10 that looks like it would work.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I agree with much of what has already been said about fillet knives. Through the years I've used numerous knives including Forschner, Case, Dexter, Victorinox, etc. etc. etc. I prefer a boning or breaking style knife with little flex for filleting, and a longer semi-flexible blade for skinning. It's good to have a knife that has a finger guard, much safer. Another knife that hasn't been mentioned is the Swibo boning line. Good knives at a reasonable price. As others have said, Phil's fillet knives are awesome. Beauty, balance, and function. I have one of his Punta Chivato's in CPM154......just too fine. I've filleted hundreds of fish with this knife and am honored to own it. If using a fixed blade make sure the knife isn't put away in a sheath that has moisture in it. Keep your powder (sheath) dry. My son did this with a knife I gifted him, fortunately I was able to save the knife.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

If he's been using an electric fillet knife for years then he's probably quite skilled with it and he'll likely keep using it for the rest of his days. That's just the dirty truth. ;) My father is a great example of this. He has been fishing for 65 years and has been using an electric fillet knife for at least 40 years. He has cleaned TENS & TENS of thousands of fish with one of those contraptions and he's an absolute machine with it. Way faster on small fish like bass and perch than I am. WAY faster. He's not quite as tight with his work but he catches a lot of fish. Sometimes he'll come in with 100 perch and he wants efficiency more than accuracy. I bought him a beautiful 6" Phil Wilson fillet knife for his birthday. He loves it. He treasures it. He cuts vegetables and potatoes in the kitchen with it. :rolleyes: :p
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Surfingringo wrote:If he's been using an electric fillet knife for years then he's probably quite skilled with it and he'll likely keep using it for the rest of his days. That's just the dirty truth. ;) My father is a great example of this. He has been fishing for 65 years and has been using an electric fillet knife for at least 40 years. He has cleaned TENS & TENS of thousands of fish with one of those contraptions and he's an absolute machine with it. Way faster on small fish like bass and perch than I am. WAY faster. He's not quite as tight with his work but he catches a lot of fish. Sometimes he'll come in with 100 perch and he wants efficiency more than accuracy. I bought him a beautiful 6" Phil Wilson fillet knife for his birthday. He loves it. He treasures it. He cuts vegetables and potatoes in the kitchen with it. :rolleyes: :p
Yup some guys are wizards with these. Especially fond of by head boat mates who fillet customers catches on a daily basis. Me I've been using an old Victorinox for years. I would not trade it for anything. Holds an edge well and sharpens well.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Surfingringo wrote:If he's been using an electric fillet knife for years then he's probably quite skilled with it and he'll likely keep using it for the rest of his days. That's just the dirty truth. ;) My father is a great example of this. He has been fishing for 65 years and has been using an electric fillet knife for at least 40 years. He has cleaned TENS & TENS of thousands of fish with one of those contraptions and he's an absolute machine with it. Way faster on small fish like bass and perch than I am. WAY faster. He's not quite as tight with his work but he catches a lot of fish. Sometimes he'll come in with 100 perch and he wants efficiency more than accuracy. I bought him a beautiful 6" Phil Wilson fillet knife for his birthday. He loves it. He treasures it. He cuts vegetables and potatoes in the kitchen with it. :rolleyes: :p
Have a fishin buddy of mine that also uses an electric fillet knife. He is also WAY faster at cleaning specs and small fish than I am, though my fillets are cleaner. I've used an electric knife at times but enjoy cleaning fish the "old fashioned" way. :) A nice cool beverage adds to the pleasure :D With the limits on fish in Florida the need for an electric knife is reduced. Put back some really nice legal size grouper a couple weeks ago as the season is closed. Caught some nice yellowtail and a big Cero, thought it was a kingfish with the run it made. Looking forward to warmer weather and flounder fishing. Been working on restoring my old Whaler which is over 30 years old. Can't wait to get her back in the water. Catch'em up.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Sorry for the extremely late reply. :o I was in the middle of drafting it up when the forum crashed a few weeks ago, and I haven't been on the forums much since (BF either).

I, for one, would LOVE to see a true Spyderco fillet knife!!! :spyder: Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen. :( In the mean time, I present to you a close alternative that I've been using for about 20 years:

This is an Outdoor Edge fillet knife, made in Seki City, Japan by the same factory (ies?) that made many (maybe all?) of the Spyderco models at the time. If my recollection of the matter is correct, Sal helped David out getting his business going, and part of that was some kind of agreement to help make the knives. This knife has seen a lot of fish over the years, but my biggest complaint is that I don't like the style of handle for this particular task. I'd much prefer a "normal" handle.

I've been looking pretty hard at a North Arm fillet knife. They're out of Canada, and about $100 gets you a 9" S35VN Kermode fillet knife, hardened to about 60 RC, and includes a sheath. FYI. ;) HTH! :D
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!