How about increasing the blade length of the Dragonfly to 2.45''?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

How about increasing the blade length of the Dragonfly to 2.45''?

Post by Mikael Andersson »

The Dragonfly has a blade length of 2.25''... how about increasing that to 2.45''?

It would gain some cutting edge without losing it's nimbleness and it's blade would still be shorter than 2.5'' and as such legal to carry everywhere.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
dplafoll

Re: How about increasing the blade length of the Dragonfly 2?

Post by dplafoll »

You would have to increase the handle as well. Then you've increased the overall size, and the weight, to get a very tiny amount of cutting edge on a knife that doesn't need any more to begin with. Do you have some sort of objective evidence to suggest that the Dragonfly needs more size and weight?

Or, conversely, why haven't you just made your own version in the size that you want?
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Mikael Andersson

There's already a model in existence of the Dragonfly 2 that has a 2.30'' blade so going up to 2.40'' wouldn't be such a big step.

And more cutting edge is always good.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I think a dragonfly XL would be awesome, not that the df2 isn't already awesome.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

An XL might be nice, but I personally find the DF2 perfect as is... this coming from someone who loves larger blades (Military, Pacific Salt, Resilience). :)

I started both my girls with a Dragonfly SE as their first real knife - it just seems to be really well suited for that purpose given its overall size, ergos, blade length, handle size, etc.

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

Have you looked at the Cat? It is probably the next size up from the DF2 and somewhat comparable. Overall length on the Cat vs the DF2 is 5.94 inches vs 5.5 inches. Blade length is 2.438 vs 2.25. Cat does have a linerlock vs the DF2's back lock. I have the DF2 with G10 handle, the Cat also has a G10 handle. Weight different between these two models is 2 oz vs 2.5 oz for the Cat. Both also have a reversible wire clip. The biggest difference is probably in price, the G10 DF2 has an MSRP that is 2x that of the Cat. For the price the Cat is a really good knife IMO. Here are a couple of pics of them side by side.

:spyder:
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

I notice the DF being too short whenever I slice my orange at work. A wee bit longer would be nice.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Mikael Andersson wrote:There's already a model in existence of the Dragonfly 2 that has a 2.30'' blade so going up to 2.40'' wouldn't be such a big step.

And more cutting edge is always good.
Do you have any objective evidence to back up such a sweeping generality?
425KRS wrote:Have you looked at the Cat? It is probably the next size up from the DF2 and somewhat comparable.
This is a good idea. Another one may be the Chaparral.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I like this idea. Maximize blade length in a fantastic model while also maintaining it legal almost everywhere. I would say take the blade length up to 2.45".
Mikael Andersson

The Spyderco Cat is in the size that I want but what the heck is CTS-BD1?

And Dragonfly sounds far better for a little folder, imho and I also prefer the grip shape on the Dragonfly over that of the Cat.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

now that we're at it, can we increase the cat's blade length from 2.438 to 2.5 then?
i have no objective evidence to back-up any evidence why this is always good nor any logical reason to do so except my obsessive-compulsiveness keeps on nagging me so need sal to round-off those decimals. :rolleyes:
Mikael Andersson

npad69 wrote:now that we're at it, can we increase the cat's blade length from 2.438 to 2.5 then?
i have no objective evidence to back-up any evidence why this is always good nor any logical reason to do so except my obsessive-compulsiveness keeps on nagging me so need sal to round-off those decimals. :rolleyes:
Better make that 2.48'' so that you are safe from being knife-consfiscated by overzealous law enforcement. ;)
Mikael Andersson

ejcr98 wrote:I like this idea. Maximize blade length in a fantastic model while also maintaining it legal almost everywhere. I would say take the blade length up to 2.45".
Thanks and 2.45''? Hmmm.

Yes, 2.45'' sounds good to me. :)
npad69

Post by npad69 »

425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

Mikael Andersson wrote:The Spyderco Cat is in the size that I want but what the heck is CTS-BD1?

And Dragonfly sounds far better for a little folder, imho and I also prefer the grip shape on the Dragonfly over that of the Cat.
You can read more about CTS-BD1 here on this data sheet: https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/Pictur ... BD1-DS.pdf

It's a very good all around steel. Regarding name, yea dragonfly is a cooler name but that doesn't really matter, does it?
:)

And the dragonfly does have a smaller profile grip but I find the cat to feel pretty comfortable. Good knife for $40.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

How about being satisfied with blade lengths the way they are?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have actually been hoping Spyderco would increase the DFly's length to about 3 to 3.5 inches.

I like the overall design and shape and blade shape and all that. But I really would like a Dragon Fly Salt with a blade that is at least 3 to 4 inches long.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Liquid Cobra wrote:How about being satisfied with blade lengths the way they are?

C`mon man, where's your spirit of innovation? ;)
Mikael Andersson

Liquid Cobra wrote:How about being satisfied with blade lengths the way they are?
How about being satisfied with the knives that you already have and not buy any more?
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I have actually been hoping Spyderco would increase the DFly's length to about 3 to 3.5 inches.

I like the overall design and shape and blade shape and all that. But I really would like a Dragon Fly Salt with a blade that is at least 3 to 4 inches long.
Maybe something that looks like this (3 inch blade)?

or this (3.8 inch blade)?