Metallic Hydrogen

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Metallic Hydrogen

Post by Doc Dan »

Some clever folks at Harvard have finally succeeded in creating metallic hydrogen. This has enormous implications for our future: better computers, faster transport, cheap and more efficient energy, etc.
https://us.yahoo.com/news/hydrogen-turn ... 55795.html
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Metallic Hydrogen

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you for posting this Doc! I have been following the work on metallic hydrogen for years. One science writer claimed that not only would metallic hydrogen be a super conductor, but, he claimed if you go by bond-length and strength, properly made metallic H should be stronger and harder than diamond, because the atoms are smaller than carbon. But I would like to have this checked and calculated.

Hydrogen is the most abundant element/atom in the universe, too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Metallic Hydrogen

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Thank you for posting this Doc! I have been following the work on metallic hydrogen for years. One science writer claimed that not only would metallic hydrogen be a super conductor, but, he claimed if you go by bond-length and strength, properly made metallic H should be stronger and harder than diamond, because the atoms are smaller than carbon. But I would like to have this checked and calculated.

Hydrogen is the most abundant element/atom in the universe, too.
Since it is only theoretically stable at about room temperature it would not make a good knife blade. I wonder what kind of metallic properties it would have, though? Could it be shaped into objects? What would need to be done to alloy it with something to make it stable? Could it then be made into blades?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050