Ultra-Classic Sprint Run?? Which Blade Steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Ultra-Classic Sprint Run?? Which Blade Steel?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well the title is very self explanatory>> because we are at the beginning of New Year 2017 so it's probably more than appropriate to be chatting about possible Sprint Runs>> or ones we very much would hope to come to fruition with updated, improved blade steel and handle materials. As most of you know I'm pretty "old school" as far as my favorite Ultra-Classic Spyders go. Most of the models between 2005 and 1998 would be in my "dream come true" wishes. But there are even some of the later models I never bought because I didn't really like the original blade steel they came with :( .

The "Chokwe" model for instance I thought was one of the coolest looking Spyders that I passed up on>> I never owned, used or even test drove that model because I just didn't think it had the right materials for that specific model. But throw me a Chokwe model with M390, 204P or even XHP and I might just be tempted to endulge. So let's go on a brainstorming mission and make some Sprint Run suggestions of "Ultra-Classics" ( Knives that have been disco'd for at least 4 years +) and please suggest what you think would be an ideal blade steel and/or handle material too for any Ultra-Classic model suggestion.

Two other Ultra-Classic Spyders I would like to see happen again would be a C-60 Ayoob model with G-10 or Micarta handle, along with M390 blade steel ( I could live with M-4 on that one). A C-54 big Calypso with S3V, S10V with a G-10 or Carbon Fiber handle. Those are just a few I've dreamed about>> OK guys and gals let's blitz the man with some Ultra-Classic Sprint Run suggestions shall we :cool: Let's put 2016 behind us.
Mushroom

Re: Ultra-Classic Sprint Run?? Which Blade Steel?

Post by Mushroom »

I'd be all over a Chokwe sprint. I didn't really appreciate the design enough when I could have actually bought one new, but love it now of course. Chokwe in brown g10 with XHP ?

I've also been hearing a lot about the Rookie lately, and happen to really like that design now that I know of it. Seems like nice compact little folder but still packs a 3 inch blade. I would suggest HAP40 with a similar green g10, but the upcoming Caly sprint seems to fill the 3 inch HAP40 category. So, maybe something like Rookie in black g10 with K390, similar to the Police 4 coming out soon.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd love to see a full sized Caly sprint. I've never gotten my hands on any of the runs of this knife, but I loved the Caly 3 and 3.5...just prefer a bigger knife.

I'd also like an LC200N or H1 Military (Though the latter can't be FFG so it wouldn't work). Preferably G10 with full Ti hardware, clip and liner, with a corrosion resistant steel liner used on the locking side. Or Titanium Military with full Ti hardware and Lc200N blade. I'd buy either configuration. I'm going to end up getting a Spydiechef to test out LC200N but I prefer the size and blade shape of the Millie.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Cruwear Tuff
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Poliwog or Centofante 4 in HAP40.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Always like these sorts of threads.

That Chokwe idea would be great, how about in 4V and super thin?

Or how about a Breeden Rescue in HAP40?

Mushroom, that Rookie rerun idea would be pretty neat to go along with the new Police as well, as a cool big & little pair!

...and I've been waiting for that blue Jester to happen, which never seemed to come to fruition.
Going back to Caly.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I do not care about steels at this moment. I have all, which I wanted plus with my new assignment I do not have many opportunities to cut beside lunch and mail.
Still want Shabaria with ancient ivory micarta scales. ZDp189 will be fine
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I and many others would really like to see the Lum Tanto Folder make a return. But not as a sprint, regular production. But I'll take a sprint. I'll take that knife any way I can get it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Still like the old back lock Manix. I'm not insulting the new Manix, just still enjoying the old one. In particular the Cruwear sprint Manix I like to bring up ( every chance I get) and do hope for. I would love it to have the Native upgrades but for a one off sprint there would be less engineering involved with the old design. It's rougher, less smooth and I'm sure it would be more of a PITA to fit and finish at the factory than either the Manix 2 or newer Native back lock. Still, I want what I want. That beautiful old monster never did get the sexy steel upgrade it so deserved.

Alternate 3V , 4V, or CPM M4.

Joe
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I don't care about the model or steel. Bring back micarta or bone!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Phoenix, HAP40 :cool:
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:I don't care about the model or steel. Bring back micarta or bone!
+1
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Large Persian, blue Ctek with bolsters, M390.
JD Smith, canvas Micarta and Cruwear
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ Mmmmmmm, JD Smith and Micarta! :)

Spydergirl88 wrote:I don't care about the model or steel. Bring back micarta or bone!

Yes, please! Would really like to see a return of Micarta on some folders!
Going back to Caly.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Co-pilot or Pegasus in any tool steel; Cruwear, 10v, 52100, even M4. We see a lot of the larger folders in this, but we never get the little knives in these steels.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

The Mastiff wrote:Still like the old back lock Manix. I'm not insulting the new Manix, just still enjoying the old one. In particular the Cruwear sprint Manix I like to bring up ( every chance I get) and do hope for. I would love it to have the Native upgrades but for a one off sprint there would be less engineering involved with the old design. It's rougher, less smooth and I'm sure it would be more of a PITA to fit and finish at the factory than either the Manix 2 or newer Native back lock. Still, I want what I want. That beautiful old monster never did get the sexy steel upgrade it so deserved.

Joe
a few friends and I attended the seconds sale this past november, as we were leaving my buddy got Eric to sign some boxes, and Eric told him that there would be a backlock manix of some sort coming out soon, I can only assume it's a sprint but i guess only spyderco knows for sure!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Bolstered Caly 3.5 with snakewood scales and hap40 blade....or a full size Caly same configuration. Super blue would work as well :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

a few friends and I attended the seconds sale this past november, as we were leaving my buddy got Eric to sign some boxes, and Eric told him that there would be a backlock manix of some sort coming out soon, I can only assume it's a sprint but i guess only spyderco knows for sure!
You caught my attention with this one. Thank you Drahkis! I will be looking for it whatever steel is chosen.

Joe
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

JD Smith, canvas Micarta and Cruwear
Nice idea Dan. I'm in.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Drahkis wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:Still like the old back lock Manix. I'm not insulting the new Manix, just still enjoying the old one. In particular the Cruwear sprint Manix I like to bring up ( every chance I get) and do hope for. I would love it to have the Native upgrades but for a one off sprint there would be less engineering involved with the old design. It's rougher, less smooth and I'm sure it would be more of a PITA to fit and finish at the factory than either the Manix 2 or newer Native back lock. Still, I want what I want. That beautiful old monster never did get the sexy steel upgrade it so deserved.

Joe
That's exciting news. I like both versions, but like Joe I prefer the original backlock Manix. Full sized in particular. Still kick myself for not buying the foliage green sprint.