Which knife for my son?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick21

Which knife for my son?

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick21 »

So the other day I found out I'm gonna have a little boy. I'm so happy and excited to have a son, and I'm happy to get to share my interest with him from music, outdoors, and of course. . Spyderco's :D I wanted to get one for him now and hold onto it until I thought he's ready for his first knife. I've been looking at the dragonfly 2 because of its size and good reviews. But I haven't full decided if it'd be better to get a plain edge or serrated? Or if it'd be better to get one in H-1 or the VG-10? Or what about the G-10 version that I think has the ZDP-189? Just any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
ShawnKirkpatrick21

Re: Which knife for my son?

Excuse me. The G-10 seems to come with VG-10 steel. While I saw a FRN British green with ZDP-189.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

A g10 dragonfly is really nice. Great steel easy to sharpen. Congratulations on your new baby news!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have a D2 in ZDP189 and love it. I actually prefer the dragonfly without the
G10 and with FRN. It is much lighter and a to me the zdp is a really superior blade for
this particular knife. Plus the British Racing Green is bad ***.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

Where do you live? Is it humid there? Do you plan on raising your son there? A Dragonfly in H1 could be a nice first knife based on how maintenance free the thing is. ZDP might be a little tough for a first knife. My vote would be something in a bright FRN color with VG10 or H1 and I'd probably avoid serrations.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

It will probably be a few years before your son is able to handle a knife safely. What about waiting until then to buy him a carry piece?

In the meantime, you could commemorate his birth by buying him a nice show piece to put away and save. For example, a Centofante Memory for creation of many new memories. :D
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I vote VG10 and bright orange to help avoid misplacement (in my pocket today). Do consider that once you have it in hand, you'll buy yourself one, and then a another Spyderco... and by the time he is old enough to carry a knife you will have a substantial collection!
ShawnKirkpatrick21

ShaneInDenver wrote:Where do you live? Is it humid there? Do you plan on raising your son there? A Dragonfly in H1 could be a nice first knife based on how maintenance free the thing is. ZDP might be a little tough for a first knife. My vote would be something in a bright FRN color with VG10 or H1 and I'd probably avoid serrations.
I live in the piedmont of North Carolina. It gets pretty humid here in the summer. But I also am gonna keep track of him wth the knife. Make sure of proper cutting (for his/ bystander and the knifes safety.) and maintenance on the knife.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Congratulations on the addition to your family. I think you're on the right track with the DF2. Spyderco has a pinewood derbyish Dragonfly kit that you can build with him so he can understand the inner workings of his knife: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=789
Plain edge H1 is a great model to start him off with. The yellow handle provides high visibility to him and you in both use as well as locating the knife. H1, obviously wont have to worry about corrosion when he forgets to clean his knife properly. Also, it will get sharp, but not scary "sliced myself deep, but didn't realize it till a minute later" sharp like zdp. The low edge retention will also give him plenty of opportunity to practice sharpening.
Last edited by KnickKnackCity on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Here's a question -- which Spyderco are you going to use to cut the umbilical cord? ;)
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Double tap
Last edited by KnickKnackCity on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShawnKirkpatrick21

clovisc wrote:It will probably be a few years before your son is able to handle a knife safely. What about waiting until then to buy him a carry piece?

In the meantime, you could commemorate his birth by buying him a nice show piece to put away and save. For example, a Centofante Memory for creation of many new memories. :D
I had thought of that. But if he's anything like me he will insist on having a knife like daddy's and using it. :D
ShawnKirkpatrick21

clovisc wrote:Here's a question -- which Spyderco are you going to use to cut the umbilical cord? ;)
Haha I joke with my wife all the time about whipping out my para 2 and cutting it! :D ;)
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

ShawnKirkpatrick21 wrote:I live in the piedmont of North Carolina. It gets pretty humid here in the summer. But I also am gonna keep track of him wth the knife. Make sure of proper cutting (for his/ bystander and the knifes safety.) and maintenance on the knife.
Sounds like a great place to raise a son. Congratulations!
ShawnKirkpatrick21

KnickKnackCity wrote:Congratulations on the addition to your family. I think you're on the right track with the DF2. Spyderco has a pinewood derbyish Dragonfly kit that you can build with him so he can understand the inner workings of his knife: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=789
Plain edge H1 is a great model to start him off with. The yellow handle provides high visibility to him and you in both use as well as locating the knife. H1, obviously wont have to worry about corrosion when he forgets to clean his knife properly. Also, it will get sharp, but not scary "sliced myself deep, but didn't realize it till a minute later" sharp like zdp. The low edge retention will also give him plenty of opportunity to practice sharpening.
Good idea. I had thought of that but also heard the H-1 plain edge retention isn't the best so kinda steered away from it. But what you said does make sense. I only have a H-1 ladybug so don't really have much time with the steel.
ShawnKirkpatrick21

abbazaba wrote:I vote VG10 and bright orange to help avoid misplacement (in my pocket today). Do consider that once you have it in hand, you'll buy yourself one, and then a another Spyderco... and by the time he is old enough to carry a knife you will have a substantial collection!
That's the one my wife liked when I brought the idea to her. And it seems to be easier to find if dropped outside or anywhere for that matter.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

First of all congratulations are in order.My advice is to go for the Orange FRN in Vg10 variant.VG10 has excellent corrosion resistence and the bright orange is easy to track just in case.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Congrats on the baby boy to be!!! How exciting! My baby boy is now at boot camp learning to become a US Marine. Time flies faster than you'd think so enjoy those years when he's young.

I'll agree with the others that the bright orange Dragonfly would be a great first knife. However I'll add that a blue Delica might also be a good choice. It's a little bigger (but not too big) so it gives him something to grow into and the blue signifies a boy while still being fairly visible.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Congrats on the new baby on the way!

Likely you'll find your son influences your decision as to which knife would be best for him by the time he's ready for one. If you want to buy something now to commemorate the birth and save it as nice gift (and one that might even possibly increase in value?) I would suggest a Spyderco 40th Anniversary Native. It's a special edition released in the same year as your son's birth and it's an heirloom worthy knife made in limited quantities.

Best regards,

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
ShawnKirkpatrick21

Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate all of your help and kind words about my son. After taking everything into consideration I think I'll get him the orange FRN VG-10 version with his name on the blade like I did my wife's pink squeak last Christmas.