Do you actually EDC your favorite knife or...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Re: Do you actually EDC your favorite knife or...?

Post by toomzz »

Yes I do, all my Spyders are users. I do not believe in keeping safequeens. Spyderco makes knives to use not to put in showcases. I do that with trilobites <:{{{{{>
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I try to rotate through all of my knives, but my favorites get the most pocket time. One of my criteria for buying a knife is that I have to be willing to carry it. I also don't care what they're worth after I own them so the more money I spend on a knife the more I feel like I better use it to justify the expenditure.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I buy folders to use so yes I use them all. I don't like to pick a single favorite but I have a small group that I would call favorites- PM2 S110V, PM2 M4, Manix 2 XL S90V, Manix 2 XL DLC, Manix 2 LW S110V.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

yes and no, I have an heir and a spare of my favorite knife; a back up and a safe queen. But I carry 99% of the knives I buy. In general I'd rather use them than look at them.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I used to carry my kris which was one of my favorites. Can't find it at the moment. Really hoping it shows up but i knew the risk when I started using it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a hard one for me to answer or to narrow down to one specific model. Because there are at least 20 different Spyderco models from years past that I can say I dearly love most of them. I really don't have one specific favorite. Now I do have a Top 10 list I update about once a year>> I even make a thread with it from time to time.

But right now some of my most darling favorite EDC Spyders are the M390 Military, The G-10 Sprint C-60 Ayoob, The C-44 Dyad, The JD Smith ( SE & PE both) just to name a few. I still tend to gravitate more to the old school Spyder models and collaborations.

I also have my food favorites, hard use favorites, outdoor favorites and not to mention my favorite Spyderedged models as well. Let's face it there are just a lot of great models to choose from.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I carry all of the folders that I own, though I moderate what I use them for based on the knife and the task.

I've yet to use my new Fluted Millie, but I haven't carried any other large knife since I bought it.

The one knife that I love, and hesitate to EDC, is the Chinook 1. That's entirely because a LNIB Chinook 1 in 440V is practically irreplaceable. I want a couple Chinook 4s when they come out just so I can actually carry, and thump on, a Chinook.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I would carry any of my knives. I also don't EDC any one knife but rotate through a bunch of users.

Two of my favourites the Elmax Para and a Hap40 Delica swapped into the blue lilmatriach handle get carried quite a bit.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

I don't rotate. I like the repetition of the same blade. I don't want to think I'm reaching for one knife only to be surprised that it wasn't what I expected. I have a beater for demo and hard use and a favorite, that gets "limited/restricted/don't lend to a coworker" use. My Leatherman Charge is the beater blade, but the slicer and my-hands-only is the Mantra. I'll use it for dirty work, but I'm not digging in dirt with it or risking a chipped blade. Rust though... gimme some of that sweet sweet character!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

willydigger wrote:I don't rotate. I like the repetition of the same blade. I don't want to think I'm reaching for one knife only to be surprised that it wasn't what I expected. I have a beater for demo and hard use and a favorite, that gets "limited/restricted/don't lend to a coworker" use. My Leatherman Charge is the beater blade, but the slicer and my-hands-only is the Mantra. I'll use it for dirty work, but I'm not digging in dirt with it or risking a chipped blade. Rust though... gimme some of that sweet sweet character!

Wow man, I applaud you for going with the flow with that rust. I keep telling myself I can do that but then I get a little too obsessed over it and have to clean it off.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Looking at that picture is like fingernails on a chalkboard!
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Evil D wrote:
willydigger wrote:I don't rotate. I like the repetition of the same blade. I don't want to think I'm reaching for one knife only to be surprised that it wasn't what I expected. I have a beater for demo and hard use and a favorite, that gets "limited/restricted/don't lend to a coworker" use. My Leatherman Charge is the beater blade, but the slicer and my-hands-only is the Mantra. I'll use it for dirty work, but I'm not digging in dirt with it or risking a chipped blade. Rust though... gimme some of that sweet sweet character!

Wow man, I applaud you for going with the flow with that rust. I keep telling myself I can do that but then I get a little too obsessed over it and have to clean it off.
I'm a big fan of Alan Davis's Misery Whip knives with the old saw blades that were left out in the elements for ages and have the old deep pitted look. I'll take care of the pivot and cutting edge, but the more it can rust and pit, the better.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

willydigger wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I'm a big fan of Alan Davis's Misery Whip knives with the old saw blades that were left out in the elements for ages and have the old deep pitted look. I'll take care of the pivot and cutting edge, but the more it can rust and pit, the better.

I can appreciate something like this

But I also wonder if it's the contrast between the rust and the polish on the blade that makes it look good.

By comparison, do you think this would look just as good if all it has was a shiny edge bevel and a shiny pivot?

I'm torn because I do see an odd beauty in a rusted blade but I also struggle to not see it as neglect.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I am perfectly fine with non-stainless blades with (mostly) stable natural patinas, but growing red rust like that would give me the heebie jeebies, especially because you often get deep pitting underneath rust spots like those... :eek:

If that's you thing go for it... ;)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Evil D wrote:...

I can appreciate something like this

But I also wonder if it's the contrast between the rust and the polish on the blade that makes it look good.

By comparison, do you think this would look just as good if all it has was a shiny edge bevel and a shiny pivot?

I'm torn because I do see an odd beauty in a rusted blade but I also struggle to not see it as neglect.
The most exposed part of the blade is the top section. That is where the real wear and tear should show. The pivot and cutting edge will be protected and the inside portion of the blade covered by the scales, should show less wear over time. I don't mean to neglect, only to manage the inevitable decay. I don't plan to leave it out in the rain, or otherwise increase the decay, but allow it to slowly build character. I've done similar with 1095 blades. This is no different, only a little more time consuming.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

tvenuto wrote:Looking at that picture is like fingernails on a chalkboard!
I love a good patina, but rusty knives make me sad. That one wasn't so bad though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
tvenuto wrote:Looking at that picture is like fingernails on a chalkboard!
I love a good patina, but rusty knives make me sad. That one wasn't so bad though.
It wasn't, but the nature of red rust is such that it facilitates further corrosion. So, there is actually no way to "pause" it there. You either remove the rust or it gets worse.

"Patina" is a different form of oxide without this property, so it effectively halts further corrosion by blocking access to the steel beneath. This is what aluminum does automatically, which is why it "doesn't corrode."
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I like the idea of carrying the same knife all the time. Maybe one day I'll put it into practice. :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

There's a few treasures in my collection that I don't carry simply because there's no need to with all the other awesome ones at my disposal. That said, I carry mine and beat on them, especially my Ketchen customized ones, lovely ones like Kopas, and my blade-swapped beauties. :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have some knives that are my favorite to carry.

I have some knives that are my favorite to collect, that IMO aren't the greatest to carry.

I'm pretty sure there are some favorites in the middle that are good to carry and good to collect.

I still have a white Micarta Goddard JR sprint, that was my first official Spyderco that is in my carry rotation, but I only carry it once every... 6 months because I keep forgetting about it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!