Do you actually EDC your favorite knife or...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Do you actually EDC your favorite knife or...?

Post by Evil D »

I was just thinking, I carry my Yojimbo 2 more than any other knife but I'm not sure if it's my #1 favorite knife. It's way up there but it's odd that I don't EDC my favorite.

These days narrowing it down to my absolute favorite is also getting really difficult. For the last few years it has been the Manix 2, but my love of the Military is really taking hold. I don't carry a Military at work because of city length laws, and for some reason I prefer carrying my Yojimbo at work over my Manix. I think part of that is a bit of SD paranoia, but I guess being prepared is never a bad thing. My current job is not at all knife dependant, in fact I rarely use a knife so I could carry anything and not be "under knifed". For a while I was carrying my D'Allara but the wire clip just doesn't bite my thin work pants enough for me to feel confident that I won't lose it so it stays in my bag.

I think if laws weren't an issue I may never carry anything more than a Military and a SE Dragonfly as a spare.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Re: Do you actually EDC your favorite knife or...?

Post by Jazz »

My favorites change every so often, so I do carry and use them. Right now, and since I tested my orange one for the wharnie thread, it's been any of various flavors of Delica FFG. My favorites change and I like it that way. Some last a long time, and come around again.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yes, I definitely carry my favorite knives the most.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely. My most carried Spydercos are the Stretch, Kiwi, and Jester and they're also my favorite large, medium, and key chain folders. Do I always carry my most favorite version of each? Yes for the Jester, it's always burgundy micarta. No for the other two, I rotate through a few versions of the Stretch and a large number of Kiwis, in both cases mostly ones that have been customized for me. Today it's been my Lignum Vitae Stretch and sun yellow Corian Kiwi. Do have to swap out the Stretch for something smaller when I go to Greenville, but the Kiwi and Jester have been constants for 13 years.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Sure do, my favourite knife flip flops between the dragonfly and chaparral, both of which are carried significantly
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I actually carry my favorites daily. I couldn't classify them as favorites and not carry them. You'll note i'm using the plural form though and that's because, like you, it has gotten difficult for me to say what's my favorite. These days its a battle between pm2, Stretch and Mantra. Those are definitely the 3 folders I would keep if I had to get rid of everything else.

The Millie would likely be in the top 3 but alas, the castration potential of a larger tip down folder IWB at 1 o'clock keep the the Millie on the sidelines most days.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yes, absolutely.

My favorites are my users and my users are my favorites.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have a hard time choosing a favorite and I enjoy carrying something different every day. So yes I carry my favorite because that's the one I choose to have in my pocket on a given day.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yes. I never buy a knife I don't have an immediate use for. Whether its a 20$ Byrd or a 200$+ Carbon Fiber handled Spyderco, I only buy users.

Most expensive knife in the rotation right now would be a Szabo folder. Favorite overall knife would be the Military, followed by the Police 3 and Para 2.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Wonder if anyone EDC's a 20th Anniversary Delica?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Yes. I don't elevate any of my Spyderco knives to "EDC favorite" status until I EDC it for a month or so.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

No, but only because some of my favorite designs have been long since discontinued and are fairly expensive to replace if lost or damaged. (E.g. Some include the Centofante II, original Starmate, Dodo, or Poliwog, to name a few).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

My tastes in knives keeps evolving. Lately I've come to like lightweight back locks.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Yes, definitely! I couldn’t carry something I didn’t like! If I end up with anything I don’t like, I give it away! :)

I always carry a favourite, but that also determines what I will and will not cut with my favourite knife! The more I think about it, I think, I should carry something I don’t like so much and that way I wouldn’t care what I cut with it! If that makes sense? :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
BTG

Post by BTG »

Yes, and for me narrowing down to my favorite just got way easier...I absolutely love the Nirvana and have carried it everyday since I got it.....However... The 911 commemorative is my most prized spydie...but I didn't get that for ergo's, or blade/scale reasons, and never planned to carry that more than 1 day a year...coming up next Sunday.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:Yes, definitely! I couldn’t carry something I didn’t like! If I end up with anything I don’t like, I give it away! :)

I always carry a favourite, but that also determines what I will and will not cut with my favourite knife! The more I think about it, I think, I should carry something I don’t like so much and that way I wouldn’t care what I cut with it! If that makes sense? :confused:
Sometimes I pair a SE Tasman Salt with one of my favorites. It's compact, super light, and rips through anything. I'll use it for things I wouldn't cut with some of my nicer folders.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I like all of my knives and carry what I feel like on a particular day. Recently, it's been Caly 3 SB for primary work, Techno for second job, and out of the house CRK Sebenza 21 small Insingo.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I carry my M4 paramilitary 2 almost every day. If it's too large to fit with what I'm wearing, I switch to the dragonfly.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Yes, PM2 (smurf blue) at work and modded Stretch or Delica at other times.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Cujobob wrote:I like all of my knives and carry what I feel like on a particular day.
This. It's too difficult to pick an outright favourite as it changes all the time...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi