Tungsten containing Spyderco Steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Tungsten containing Spyderco Steels

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Very interesting: Based on the atomic/elemental charts issued by Spyderco, CruWear and Maxamet have the highest amounts of tungsten in their alloy structures. This explains to a large degree their high hardness and wear-resistance. Way to go :)
Philo Beddoe

Re: Tungsten containing Spyderco Steels

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Cruwear does have some Tungsten but Maxamet has a lot more of it..1.15% for Cruwear and 10% for Maxamet..fact is Maxamet seems to have more Tungsten than any other steel Spyderco uses..Cruwear vs. Maxamet..

Last edited by Philo Beddoe on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

M4 and HAP40 both have a good amount of tungsten too. I think 5.5% and 6% respectively.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Pretty interesting that M390 only has 0.6%.
bearfacedkiller

Super Blue, White #1 and White #2 all have a little with Super Blue having the most of the three at 2.5%
download (5).png
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Super Blue, White #1 and White #2 all have a little with Super Blue having the most of the three at 2.5%

download (5).png
I think you mean Blue #1 and Blue #2? I think the White steels are just carbon and maybe some impurities.
bearfacedkiller

Oops, you are absolutely correct. Those are Blue #1 and Blue#2. :o
-Darby
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Very interesting: Based on the atomic/elemental charts issued by Spyderco, CruWear and Maxamet have the highest amounts of tungsten in their alloy structures. This explains to a large degree their high hardness and wear-resistance. Way to go :)
SEF, if you shave, what razor do you use? I have Tungsten alloy DE blades you should try ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The Z knives site is wrong..according to the Carpenter technical data sheet Maxamet has 13% Tungsten..

http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.aspx? ... &c=techart

Carbon 2.15% Manganese 0.30 %
Sulfur 0.070% Silicon 0.25 %
Chromium 4.75% Cobalt 10.00%
Vanadium 6.00% Tungsten 13.00%
Iron Balance
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

awa54 wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Very interesting: Based on the atomic/elemental charts issued by Spyderco, CruWear and Maxamet have the highest amounts of tungsten in their alloy structures. This explains to a large degree their high hardness and wear-resistance. Way to go :)
SEF, if you shave, what razor do you use? I have Tungsten alloy DE blades you should try ;)
Well, I know one would think I would use a straight razor, but, I found that the standard Bic safety razors work best for me. I considered getting a straight razor and using that because it is not disposable, but, I admit: I was afraid of the "Slippage factor" sending me to the ER! LOL!

How do the Tungsten alloy DE blades work for you? Good?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I considered getting a straight razor and using that because it is not disposable, but, I admit: I was afraid of the "Slippage factor" sending me to the ER! LOL!

How do the Tungsten alloy DE blades work for you? Good?
Sadly they were discontinued 30 plus years ago, but I have accumulated enough to last me for a long time... They last several weeks at the least and I had one in a razor for 9 months before it was too dull to shave well (disclaimer: I only used it every day for about 4 months, but it got an average of three or four shaves a week from that point until its demise).

Straight razors make me nervous... safety razors are much, well, safer!

As for the Bic disposables, I have to admit that the basic one blade orange and white Bic razors are actually fantastic! My issue with them is both the fact that all that plastic gets thrown away and that I only get two good shaves out of one before it's dull.

Interestingly, the Personna 74* (and similar time period Super Platinum Chrome) blades were made of an unknown alloy, the shaving community has forum threads pop up all the time wondering what the exact formula was, but nobody has yet divulged it. The blades are effectively rust proof, so it must be a high chrome alloy as well, and in a razor blade the carbide structure would want to be tilted towards finer grain, so I'm guessing it had some Tungsten, but nowhere near as much as some of the steels we discuss here.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...