Spyderco Mantra Titanium C202TI in pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tap78

Spyderco Mantra Titanium C202TI in pictures

Post by tap78 »

Here are some photos of Spyderco Mantra C202TI... what a fantastic knife!
enjoy watching....

Thank You Spyderco :)
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Flipping Addict

Re: Spyderco Mantra Titanium C202TI in pictures

Post by Flipping Addict »

It is nice but I only got to touch one once and that one had such a bad detent could not flip open without flicking the wrist. So, past it up.

Good flippers shoul fly open once you over come the detent in my opinion.

Probably just that one I saw. Is yours that way?

Oh, and your pics are awesome.
Ninja Nic

Post by Ninja Nic »

Very nice knife. Seems to fit your hand well. Hope you enjoy using it :)
A man without a knife, is a man without a life.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It's easily my favourite work knife. It checks all the boxes for me.

Awesome steel, check
Fun flipper, check
Titanium, check
Spyderhole, check
Wireclip, check
Modern Caly/delica, check
Carries light and easily, check

I kinda want a second one.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I got one in May for my birthday. It's become my favorite, even after buying a Nirvana afterwards. Definitely ticks all the boxes. My best compliment to this knife is that I wouldn't change anything about it in general. I personally don't do lanyards so if I could wave a wand and take the lanyard hole out of my Mantra, I'd do that. But I wouldn't change the design at the factory.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Flipping Addict wrote:It is nice but I only got to touch one once and that one had such a bad detent could not flip open without flicking the wrist. So, past it up.

I would say the flipper is awesome, it's works like a "push button", rather than just pulling the tab down along the spine of the frame.

These are great photos indeed.
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

I am seriously looking at one, but I can't help feeling it's more complicated than it needed to be. I guess I just like simpler designs. I am always worried about things with more parts being more likely to have something go wrong. Aside from the bearings and lock bar insert, I really love most things about it. The shape, style, size, and materials are all great. I am tempted to ask for one for my bday. Great pics OP, thanks for sharing them.
:spyder: jstrange
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

My next knife purchase will be this or the advocate. I don't even like ball bearing pivots or flippers but these two have nice, pronounced holes so the flipper is moot.

#firstworldproblems
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I handled one yesterday and compares to the Southard it felt very cheap. I wanted to like it, and on paper I really did, but will save pennies for Ouroboros.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jstrange wrote:I am seriously looking at one, but I can't help feeling it's more complicated than it needed to be. I guess I just like simpler designs. I am always worried about things with more parts being more likely to have something go wrong. Aside from the bearings and lock bar insert, I really love most things about it. The shape, style, size, and materials are all great. I am tempted to ask for one for my bday. Great pics OP, thanks for sharing them.
Yes it has bearings and a lock bar insert but still a pretty simple design IMO. I know some folks don't like bearings but, at least on my example, they make the knife smoother than my Sage 3, PM2, GB1 or any other Spyderco knife that I have. The blade flies out when I deploy it using a light flick of my middle middle finger. It's noticeably faster than all my other knives and I haven't even had to adjust the pivot.

I'm sure the lock bar insert was added for good reason. I think the gimping on the insert is a really nice touch. All-in-all the Mantra is a great design and I think you'd be happy with it. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite knives.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:I handled one yesterday and compares to the Southard it felt very cheap. I wanted to like it, and on paper I really did, but will save pennies for Ouroboros.
For the life of my I can't think of anything about the Mantra that could possibly make it feel cheap. I've handled a couple of Southards and I thought they were nice but their not high on my list. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:I handled one yesterday and compares to the Southard it felt very cheap. I wanted to like it, and on paper I really did, but will save pennies for Ouroboros.
Agreed with the other poster. I can't for the life of me figure out what could feel cheap about that knife unless you're used to super thick slabs of metal. This one seems light because the handle slabs aren't thick, the blade isn't thick, and the lock bar isn't ridiculous. It seems very well made and when I had the chance to fondle one I thought it was very well designed with premium materials. If you're used to "overbuilt" pocket knives and havent gotten used to a smaller, thinner knife then I can see thinking this one is too slim and light to work. I was there at one time, too. It seems to me to be just about right in pretty much all respects. I'd like the blade to be closer to 4 inches but we can't always get what we want.
Last edited by Bodog on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

I have the 2 and it is one of my favorites to carry.
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

It does keep calling to me. Love M4 steel and the size.
:spyder: jstrange
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Bodog wrote:
Agreed with the other poster. I can't for the life of me figure out what could feel cheap about that knife unless you're used to super thick slabs of metal. This one seems light because the handle slabs aren't thick, the blade isn't thick, and the lock bar isn't ridiculous. It seems very well made and when I had the chance to fondle one I thought it was very well designed with premium materials. If you're used to "overbuilt" pocket knives and havent gotten used to a smaller, thinner knife then I can see thinking this one is too slim and light to work. I was there at one time, too. It seems to me to be just about right in pretty much all respects. I'd like the blade to be closer to 4 inches but we can't always get what we want.
It was because I picked it up, handled it and immediately picked up the Southard. In direct comparison the Mantra didn't feel as solid as the Southard, that's all.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Excellent pics and review, Tap! Always enjoy your work.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderWill

Post by SpyderWill »

Great pictures, Tap! I really like the comparisons too. It's always great to have a point of reference to a wide array of models. The Mantra definitely is a fantastic knife.
SpyderWill

Post by SpyderWill »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Flipping Addict wrote:It is nice but I only got to touch one once and that one had such a bad detent could not flip open without flicking the wrist. So, past it up.

I would say the flipper is awesome, it's works like a "push button", rather than just pulling the tab down along the spine of the frame.

These are great photos indeed.
Push button is exactly how I would describe it too. I don't have any issue flipping it open without a wrist flick when I treat it that way. Although I do think practice does help. Once I got a feel for it, it's been nearly perfect for me.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Interesting. I had the exact opposite thought after handling both. Personal preference I guess.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Great pics Tap, love both the Mantra's, wish they had a stainless blade. They rank high on my list of favorite Spydies. :spyder:
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

I'm a big fan of my Mantra.
- Carry size and deep wire clip.
- PM2 cutting edge in a Delica handle.
- M4 blade (nuff said)
- I'm not fussed on Ti vs say the Sage 1 CF/G10. Not really a decisive factor for my purchase.
- Flipper is very functional and my knife requires no wrist. But I mostly just spydie hole open.

I EDC mine a few days a week, love it. Awesome apple blade.

I feel the Mantra is a very underrated knife.