Zip ties on spider hole

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Marty_E

Zip ties on spider hole

Post by Marty_E »

On some of the pictures I've seen in the gallery zip ties are attached to the spider hole. Is this McGyver style thumb studs?
farnorthdan

Re: Zip ties on spider hole

Post by farnorthdan »

More of a poor mans Emerson wave opener. Intended purpose of automatically opening the blade upon extraction from the pocket.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

Interesting. So carried tip up and the openers face the corner of the pocket to catch while being pulled out?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Marty_E wrote:Interesting. So carried tip up and the openers face the corner of the pocket to catch while being pulled out?
Exactly, and if you position the zip tie right it does sort of act as a thumb stud too and can aid in opening. I've found they work better and more reliably than real wave hooks. They're also simple to remove when you don't want them there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

I just watched a YT video on this. Some called it an Emerson opener. I've never seen this before.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Marty_E wrote:I just watched a YT video on this. Some called it an Emerson opener. I've never seen this before.
Emerson is the original inventor of the concept I believe, spyderco has a number of knifes with this feature.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Looks pretty ghetto though
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:Looks pretty ghetto though
I said the EXACT same thing on another board....Christ, I was accused of being a "racist" because I called it ghetto. Well, it is in fact ghetto. If you want a wave, Spyderco has knives with a wave. If not, you can either put a wave on the blade by cutting it properly...or buy an Emreson, ZT, etc. that have the wave feature. The knife looks like crap with a piece of plastic on the blade, IMHO.

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

DrtyHarry wrote:
The knife looks like crap with a piece of plastic on the blade, IMHO.
I agree, it's hideous.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Lol how is ghetto a racist word!?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:Lol how is ghetto a racist word!?
Given that, at some point, almost every "race" you could imagine has been confined to a ghetto, it isn't. But people love to play the crusader by erroneously calling others on racism (or any other -ism).
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

DrtyHarry wrote:
I said the EXACT same thing on another board....Christ, I was accused of being a "racist" because I called it ghetto. Well, it is in fact ghetto. If you want a wave, Spyderco has knives with a wave. If not, you can either put a wave on the blade by cutting it properly...or buy an Emreson, ZT, etc. that have the wave feature. The knife looks like crap with a piece of plastic on the blade, IMHO.

Harry
I understand what you mean when you say it looks "ghetto". However nobody cares that a ghetto is a PLACE, not a description. A ghetto is a small walled community. The word has been changed to an adjective with a completely different--and random--meaning. Btw I'm not calling you racist because a ghetto has nothing to do with race.
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

The English language is constantly evolving.
Ghetto can be an adjective. E.g "that Honda is ghetto". I understand it to mean cheap, nasty, rough, make-shift etc
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

farnorthdan wrote:
Marty_E wrote:I just watched a YT video on this. Some called it an Emerson opener. I've never seen this before.
Emerson is the original inventor of the concept I believe, spyderco has a number of knifes with this feature.

The concept goes back to the "one armed razor" slip joint folders of the post US Civil War era. Emerson modified that so the draw and opening could be one smooth motion.
tvenuto wrote:
SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:Lol how is ghetto a racist word!?
Given that, at some point, almost every "race" you could imagine has been confined to a ghetto, it isn't. But people love to play the crusader by erroneously calling others on racism (or any other -ism).
True, it's reaching the point where just about anything one says can be deemed offensive by someone. Heck sometimes you don't even need to open your mouth.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DrtyHarry wrote:

Harry

Harry let me assure you buddy, there are plenty of white ghettos too LOL. People these days look for any reason to throw the race card.

But yeah, it doesn't look all that great. Fortunately it's not a permanent thing you have to commit to. The times I've used them were usually in a work environment where I was working very fast and just wanted a little extra speed when drawing my knife and cutting something, and it does exactly that. When the day is over and you don't need it anymore, you just cut it off. I think it's a great idea because I wouldn't necessarily want a production waved Manix 2, but I like being able to wave my Manix 2 when I want to.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea they work well but look kind of silly. The tie had to be very tight and on the correct side to snag the pocket seam reliably. Using pliars to tighten it helps.

I stopped doing it when I wasn't as concerned with deployment speed (or knife defense in general). That and I figured having to potentially explain it to an officer would be more awkward than "I bought it this way".
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I cannot get behind the zip tie mod. Makes me cringe every time I see it!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Not to my tastes for sure- but hey, it's non-permanent. :)

It's someone else's property to do with as they wish- you want to pile a bunch of cableties through the opening hole then go right to it!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think they look ridiculous, but probably work, so do what makes you happy. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I tried it on a couple models... Perhaps it was the specific zipties I used, but I found my knives with actual wave features deployed much better. Not my thing.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.