Quintessential Small Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fanch_Man

Quintessential Small Spydie?

Post by Fanch_Man »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and I sincerely feel way out of my league posting amongst such dedicated fans. I've been enjoying reading and studying what many of you have to say for some time, and it feels like several of you are already acquaintances. I hope it's okay to say, but this really is the best knife community I've come across online. I hope I can contribute somewhat.

Anyhow, enough gushing! I'm pretty new to knife collecting (just over a year), but like everyone else here, I've come to really appreciate Spyderco's designs. I currently have a Bradley Air and a carbon fiber Kopa, and they are perfect. I know this is borderline sacrilege, but I'm really wanting to limit my collection to 5 Spydies that I REALLY love to both fondle AND use. Both the Air and the Kopa fill that niche beautifully. I've had a Caly 3 ZDP and a Chap 2, but as wonderful as those knives were, they just never gelled with me.

SO, to the question: what Spydie folders should I get to round out my "collection?" What knives do you think represent Spyderco form and function the best? My preferences are for smaller knives, 3.25" up to maybe 4.25" handle length. I think the Mantra (which I'm really wanting to check out) is as big as I'd consider. I'm hoping the Para 3/Para Mini comes inside that range. I'm currently considering Native 5 Ti, Chap 1, Dragonfly G-10, Mantra, Positron, Dice, Mini Persian, and CF Kiwi. Are there others that would be a better fit? Consider price and production status to be no object.

I'm sorry if that was too long, and thank you all!
Surfingringo

Re: Quintessential Small Spydie?

Post by Surfingringo »

Dragonfly 2 and Delica both deserve some serious consideration. I would consider them both to be "iconic" status Spydies.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have to agree with gringo, the Dragonfly2 and delicate are staples of the Spyderco history. That being said, I say get yourself a CFL Kiwi, I think everyone should own. At least one of the old hollow ground Kiwi. I'll throw an honorable mention to the Caly 3.5 for the upper end of your size range.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Chap 1, g10 dragonfly, and kiwi are all wonderful.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dfly, in any format including stainless steel. Also the Pingo is a tough lil slipjoint. Thick blade, FFG, and good snap. It is a great little knife. Lastly, the Ladybug Hawkbill in SE H1 steel is awesome and I am at the beach this week so it has tasted the Gulf all day long.
Fanch_Man

Post by Fanch_Man »

Wow, unanimous win for the Dragonfly! I guess that's what I'll be checking out next!

I've heard rumors of an upcoming blue G-10 Delica; I'd LOVE to jump on that if it ever happens. And it sounds like the Kiwi is a real winner, too. I missed a chance recently to pick up the carbon fiber version, and now I'm kicking myself for it. The Pingo looks very interesting, too. Thank you all!!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard, Fanch_Man. :)

The Dragonfly2 is certainly a must-have little-big-knife in any knife knut's collection. I'd also recommend the Techno, Chubby, and Firefly. The (discontinued) C22 Walker is another fantastic option if you can find one for a decent price. You may also like the (discontinued) Leafstorm.

Take care,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

You should also check out the knife in Spydernut's profile pic. ;)
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Get something with teeth. No Spyderco collection is complete without some serrations.

I really like the SE Delica and carry one regularly. The SE Cricket is a handy little knife that I use all the time as well. The Harpy or Tasman are nice if you like hawkbill knives.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I think you were on the right track with the Mantra. It's almost the prefect knife (for me).
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I think you were on the right track with the Mantra. It's almost the prefect knife (for me).
I kind of felt the same way but figured it hadn't been around long enough to qualify as "quintessential".
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to aboard, always nice to see new contributors, like others, my recommendation would be either a Delica or Dragonfly, both piece that perform above their weight class.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
BTG

Post by BTG »

Welcome to the forum, it remains to be seen if you'll be able to keep it to 5... Good luck..anyway, the Dragonfly is very cool, but for me it's too big for a keychain, and too small (just the handle) for my EDC, although no problem with size of blade....so I'd have to say the Native 5..4 inch closed 7 open ....not too big, not too small,Ti,CF,G10 or lightweight....also in that size range is the Domino, IMHO, a better size than the dice...have one, but the new blue (and red) weave CF have me itching for another..
Last edited by BTG on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanch_Man

Post by Fanch_Man »

You guys are awesome, thank you all so much for chiming in! Thank you, too, for all the warm welcomes. :)

Man, lots of great options to mull over. I love the look of the Firefly, and especially that it's a liner lock. I just love playing with that mechanism. Looks like the perfect size for me, too. I've thought long about the Techno, but I just can't make myself like the looks. Then again, I never thought I'd like the Air, but I snatched one up when I heard they were being disco'd, and it turns out to be one of my favs.

Is that a Rhino, SpyderNut/surfingringo? It looks familiar, and I really dig the style and blade shape!

I hadn't really considered a Spyderedge until now, maybe I'll give it some more thought. I mostly use my knives at my office job (super lame, I know), so I guess I just kinda ruled them out based on that.

And good to know the Mantra is so well-received - I'll definitely keep it on my radar.

Thanks again, all!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Surfingringo wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I think you were on the right track with the Mantra. It's almost the prefect knife (for me).
I kind of felt the same way but figured it hadn't been around long enough to qualify as "quintessential".
Dang, that's a good point. Missed that.

Welcome to the forum Fanch Man. Good luck keeping your collection at five. It's good to have dreams, no matter how unrealistic they may be ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

So many great suggestions. Techno is a must have.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Great topic. I break this down a little more specifically than some. I have what I consider "little big knives" and then "small knives".

What I consider little big knives are ones large enough to use for extended periods of time without fatigue to your hand or discomfort, and can basically be used as any other EDC knife, they're just smaller than most. In this group I would put the Dragonfly, Chaparral, Dodo, Pingo, Kopa, etc.

Then in the small category you have knives that are just plain small. They're usability is somewhat hindered by being so small. They can still be used but you may feel under equipped if they were the only knife you had. In this list I'd include the Ladybug, Manbug, the Bug knives, Jesters, Dyad Jr, etc.

Of those lists, my favorite little big knife is the SE Dragonfly Salt. Of the small knife list my favorite is the ZDP Ladybug.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Dragonfly
Salsa
Cat
UKPK
And of course the Delica, still a top choice after a quarter of a century :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It depends what "quintessential small" means for you.For me, the Delica embodies the idea of small quintessential spydie.Second close is the Dragonfly but it might be a tad too small for some.
Fanch_Man

Post by Fanch_Man »

Thank you all, once again, for all the great suggestions! I really DO still want to limit myself, but y'all are making it mighty hard!

I guess I should clarify what I mean by "quintessential" as that may not have been the best choice of words. While I'm certainly interested in Spydies that are tried-and-true - even historic - designs, if there are new ones that you guys think especially excel in form and function while keeping the Spyderco ethos, I'm very interested in those, as well. The Firefly and Mantra have come up, I think those pretty well embody kind of what I'm looking for.

Evil D, I think you brought up exactly the size niche I'm trying to stick to. I've considered "little knives" like the Manbug and Jester, but since I usually only carry one folder with me on a given day (besides a SAK, usually Cadet), I'd rather have something a *little* more potent and...fulfilling?...to carry. I'm willing to flex a little larger than most LBK's, though, given my one-knife philosophy, which is where the Delica/Mantra/Para3 comes in, I guess.

Thanks again, everyone! Awesome recommendations!