Domino isn't smooth anymore

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fanglekai

Domino isn't smooth anymore

Post by fanglekai »

I've had my Domino since 2013 and I've used it a ton. The action isn't very smooth anymore. I've tried adjusting the pivot with no luck because the blade moves off too far to one side. Is this something Spyderco would be able to remedy under warranty? I guess I could call or email but I figured I'd ask here instead first. It still flips open ok but when I use the Spyderhole there is noticeable tension. I've tried oiling the detent ball and using compressed air with no luck.

edited to add pic
Last edited by fanglekai on Wed May 25, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnorthdan

Re: Domino isn't smooth anymore

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd try soaking/cleaning with hot soapy water, dry/compressed air then re-oil the pivot. There might be pocket lint or something in there.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I generally don't find adjusting the pivot to be helpful when smoothness is a concern. The detent ball may have something lodged in it or the pivot could. The majority of my issues of this type seem to stem from the detent ball.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I gave that a try a couple weeks ago. I've tried warm water and dish soap, then compressed air. I've tried a little USP mineral oil on the detent ball and in the pivot, and then compressed air. I don't know if it has something to do with regular wear and tear or if the ball bearings are wearing tracks into the blade and causing additional friction or what. I've had the knife for nearly 3 years and it's been my main EDC since then along with various slipjoints, and it's been no slouch. The main reason I posted is that I just bought a Rubicon on bladeforums and it's ridiculously smooth. That made me remember how smooth the Domino was when I bought it. It's still completely functional and flips open fine, but there's a good bit of resistance when opening via the Spyderhole. My attempts at pivot adjustment end up with an off center blade. When the blade is centered the friction is there. I hope this is detailed enough.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If it were me I'd just disassemble it and clean it up. But that does void your warranty and not everyone is comfortable or capable in doing that. If you sent it to Spyderco they'd take good care of you.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I think I'll go ahead and send it in. I've never had to use Spyderco's warranty despite owning quite a few of their knives. It'll suck being without it for however long it takes but I've used this knife enough that it wouldn't hurt to get a once over from the manufacturer.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

fanglekai wrote:I gave that a try a couple weeks ago. I've tried warm water and dish soap, then compressed air. I've tried a little USP mineral oil on the detent ball and in the pivot, and then compressed air. I don't know if it has something to do with regular wear and tear or if the ball bearings are wearing tracks into the blade and causing additional friction or what. I've had the knife for nearly 3 years and it's been my main EDC since then along with various slipjoints, and it's been no slouch. The main reason I posted is that I just bought a Rubicon on bladeforums and it's ridiculously smooth. That made me remember how smooth the Domino was when I bought it. It's still completely functional and flips open fine, but there's a good bit of resistance when opening via the Spyderhole. My attempts at pivot adjustment end up with an off center blade. When the blade is centered the friction is there. I hope this is detailed enough.
Just out of curiosity, does the action feel gritty at all when you are opening/closing the blade?
It sounds like you've done a good job trying to trouble-shoot the issue, but I agree that the best solution would be to send it on to Charlynn in Warranty for a check-up. They will take very good care of you.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I forgot to update this. I sent the knife off and got it repaired. Took about 2 weeks total round trip, with a few days being my fault for not checking the mail to see that I needed to respond about the non-warranty fee. My Domino came back buttery smooth. I didn't ask for it to be sharpened, but it came back that way with even bevels and a shaving sharp edge. I did have to pay the $20 non-warranty work fee, but I think the problem was caused by wear and use rather than an actual defect, so that was fine with me.

In short, if anyone else has an issue similar to this I recommend getting the knife fixed up. My Domino is as good as new now.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Glad to hear thanks for the follow up
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb