Poll: Solid back-spacers vs. stand-offs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which do you prefer: Solid back-spacers or stand-offs on your folding knives?

1. I prefer solid back-spacers on my folding knives because...
22%
2. I prefer stand-offs on my folding knives because...
47%
3. It really doesn't make a difference to me because...
28%
4. Other: (please describe)
3%

Total votes: 72

SpyderNut

Poll: Solid back-spacers vs. stand-offs

Post by SpyderNut »

MCM's superb pictures of his new Mambas today reminded me of a question I've been wanting to ask the Forum. Out of sheer curiosity, what is your preference in terms of folding knives featuring solid back-spacers vs. knives featuring stand-offs? Both have their pros and cons, but I personally prefer the aesthetic of solid back-spacers over stand-offs. However, stand-offs do allow debris such as pocket lint and gunk to be easily blown out of the handle with greater ease--compared to knives featuring solid back-spacers.

Anyway, what are your personal preferences and why? You are able to change your vote if you prefer.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ChrisinHove

Re: Poll: Solid back-spacers vs. stand-offs

Post by ChrisinHove »

I'm happy to leave it to the designer. These guys are the experts.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpyderNut wrote:MCM's superb pictures of his new Mambas today reminded me of a question I've been wanting to ask the Forum. Out of sheer curiosity, what is your preference in terms of folding knives featuring solid back-spacers vs. knives featuring stand-offs? Both have their pros and cons, but I personally prefer the aesthetic of solid back-spacers over stand-offs. However, stand-offs do allow debris such as pocket lint and gunk to be easily blown out of the handle with greater ease--compared to knives featuring solid back-spacers.

Anyway, what are your personal preferences and why? You are able to change your vote if you prefer.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

-Michael
What is the advantage of a solid back spacer? I prefer stand offs because of the way they look and like you said, easier to keep clean.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Solid backspacers, because I have a strong preference for midlock knives and that's the way they're built. Also prefer them on liner and framelocks for several reasons. A solid backspacer inspires more confidence than a stop pin. It also can prevent other objects in one's pocket from coming in contact with the edge. Finally, it allows building "traditional" liner or frame lock that uses a backspring and inspires confidence that it will stay closed in my pocket rather than the almost non-existent closing bias provided by a Walker or Reeves lock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Deacon wrote:Solid backspacers, because I have a strong preference for midlock knives and that's the way they're built. Also prefer them on liner and framelocks for several reasons. A solid backspacer inspires more confidence than a stop pin. It also can prevent other objects in one's pocket from coming in contact with the edge. Finally, it allows building "traditional" liner or frame lock that uses a backspring and inspires confidence that it will stay closed in my pocket rather than the almost non-existent closing bias provided by a Walker or Reeves lock.
Why does a solid backspacer inspire more confidence? Does it give you the impression it could withstand harder use? Curious.

You're comment about things not getting inside the knife when you have a backspacer is a good point. I would have never thought of that because I don't carry anything else in my pocket if a knife is in there.

I also have zero concerns about any of my frame/liner/compression lock knives opening in my pocket, so that's not a concern for me either.

I guess we don't see eye to eye Deacon lol. Good thing Spyderco has us both covered with plenty of options :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Option 3: whichever comes with the knife. Either way some compressed air will clean the lint or dirt out of them. They both look great to me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yeah, I don't really care either. I have had coins lodge themselves in blades with standoffs. It's mildly annoying but not enough to make me dislike the design.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

It really doesn't make a difference to me because: aesthetically, it suits some designs and doesn't suit others....Coins lodge in stand-off'd knives and lint/tissue fragments/general crud end up getting packed into backspacer'd knives- so there's nothing in it.

That said, I added a backspacer to my PM2...and am in the process of removing the backspacer from one of my Militarys... :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I prefer standoffs. Less weight, easier to clean out, and I don't carry change or other small things in the same pocket so I don't worry about things getting into the knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
timlara

Post by timlara »

I prefer standoffs, partly for appearance and partly for ease of cleaning / inspection. I particularly like nice looking standoffs like the hourglass ones on the Bradley folder or a "hybrid" approach with a smaller, semi-open, recessed back spacer like on the Foundry.

That said, I do agree with others that it's up to the designer ultimately, and the type of back spacer has never really deterred me from buying a particular design that I like. To me it's not that big of a factor compared to other things like lock type, steel, handle ergos, or blade shape.
LC Kid

BackSpacers Rules

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

My personal preference is the backspacer, preferably made in a lightweight material, like Titanium, Carbon Fibre or G-10. :cool:

Why? Because it makes a really solid construction to the whole structure, while being partial it lets you clean thoroughly inside the knife. :)

I actually have knives with stands-off, and have no complaints about them, but still prefer the look and feel of the backspacer. :rolleyes:
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I prefer standoffs for ease of cleaning.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I like both. It really depends on the knife. Some look amazing with stand offs, some look amazing with back spacers; it REALLY depends on the knife.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

TheKnifeCollector wrote:I like both. It really depends on the knife. Some look amazing with stand offs, some look amazing with back spacers; it REALLY depends on the knife.
Same for me. I agree completely.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I like both, only knife I switched to stand-offs was the Techno, the rest I've left alone. I've also considered upgrading some back spacers to nicer materials.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I don't have a strong preference, some designs dictate/allow the use of one or the other, I doubt that that I would ever pass on a knife that I liked the overall design of because of the back-spacer choice.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Good poll! I generally like stand offs better for the weight/simplicity/cleaning, but I do like back spacers that are smooth and flush with the handle. The current G10 backspacer trend with "traction" that isn't flush with the handle just isn't for me, especially on a titanium framelock.
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I like them both so far. The Deacon brought up a good point about objects coming in contact with edge on a knife with stand offs. I have a bad habit of carrying a knife loose in pocket along with other stuff.. No more.
I pulled out my Sage 1 the other day to show someone a 'good' knife and a bunch of change came with it.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Either one; today I was using my Gayle Bradley for food prep, was a breeze to clean out (made soup from leftover beef roast).

Usually when doing general cutting I'll use either design, whatever I happen to reach for that is handy and appropriate for the task.

Love that Spyderco gives us so many styles to choose from!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:What is the advantage of a solid back spacer? I prefer stand offs because of the way they look and like you said, easier to keep clean.
The Deacon wrote:Solid backspacers, because I have a strong preference for midlock knives and that's the way they're built. Also prefer them on liner and framelocks for several reasons. A solid backspacer inspires more confidence than a stop pin. It also can prevent other objects in one's pocket from coming in contact with the edge. Finally, it allows building "traditional" liner or frame lock that uses a backspring and inspires confidence that it will stay closed in my pocket rather than the almost non-existent closing bias provided by a Walker or Reeves lock.
Paul said it perfectly. My exact thoughts too. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal