Your "most worn out" Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Your "most worn out" Spyderco?

Post by Blerv »

Looking at my small collection I've noticed that very few of them get very beat-up/used-up. As a boring office worker frankly my cutting is minimal and I rotate quite a bit. Sadly, most of them are factory'ish sharp. :(

What is your most worn-out Spyderco?

Does anyone have a blade that's been sharpened to death? What do you think the lifespan of a normal folder would be if you were "typical" with it. IE: Not cutting drywall and sharpening it on a belt sander?

Thanks!
El Gato

Re: Your "most worn out" Spyderco?

Post by El Gato »

While few of my knives still have their "factory edge" and get used regularly, the one that shows the most use by far is my old C36TIP Military. It was my first of the Military model, and although several others have followed, it was always the "user" for me. The knife itself is tough as nails and functions like new, but the blade has been sharpened many times.

That Military, along with all my other Millies, is "retired" now being replaced by my Mules that are now my daily "using" knives. They are all "working mules" and will one day show the use of my C36TIP.
Good knives all. ;)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Oddly enough its probably my SB manbug which gets carried everyday no matter what large blade I carry, I wouldn't call it worn out but well used and loved.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surprisingly none of mine show any serious signs of use aside from minor scratches on the blades. My Ladybugs probably show the most wear but that's from living on my keys more than being used. My SE Military has a few stretches in the G10 but I bought it used with them already there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Nothing that is close to kicking the bucket, circling the drain, or giving up the ghost. That being said, my Tenacious and PM2 have taken quite a beating; they both have some serious knicks, dents, and scratches in the G10 and have been sharpened quite a few times. I even managed to drop my PM2, tip first, into concrete.

Now nothing stops me from using the PM2 to the fullest of its abilities (at least not cosmetic concerns).

But most of my knives are in much better condition and won't be willfully neglected the way those 2 workhorses are.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
bh49

Post by bh49 »

my 2013Forum Native will be my champion. I was removing steel from spine already twice, so the tip wouldn't stick-out
Persian also saw some use

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I bought two Swick3s and used the first one backpacking and icefishing and when it wasn't clipped to a shoulder strap it was in my garage getting used as a box cutter and utility knife and was used hard and sharpened a bit. I sharpened it enough to need to add a sharpening notch as the edge was getting wacky at the heel. I also have a Sage2 that has been sharpened a ton and has a noticeably thicker edge and a shorter tip. They both cut well still.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bh49 wrote:my 2013Forum Native will be my champion. I was removing steel from spine already twice, so the tip wouldn't stick-out

:eek: Speechless. I think you win the thread.
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:
bh49 wrote:my 2013Forum Native will be my champion. I was removing steel from spine already twice, so the tip wouldn't stick-out

:eek: Speechless. I think you win the thread.
May I get a replacement blade as the prize :D :)
Frankly once in a while I am thinking about retiring the knife. I have back-up + CG/S110V N5. But as long as I have to brake down over dozen boxes, closed with fiberglass reinforced tape every week and sharpening the blade weekly as well, I will keep using this one.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yep that native definitely has a unique blade shape ;)

@Darby, what did you use to make that notch, I've been thinking about adding to a couple of mine? I was considering using my chainsaw file.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh without any shred of a doubt it is my 440V, SE Native that I so religiously carry for extremely hard use. If that knife had an odometer it broke a long, long time ago. The history of that Spyder is my ultimate most interesting litany of war stories :D >> it's literally almost like a war story from Viet Nam or even WW II for that matter. There was a time around 2008 that I had a job in an auto mod shop and I was given a job of installing a couple of accessories in which I was certain that it was going to destroy any knife I would use on the job.

I got out my footlocker and there was a 440V, SE Native that I had gotten in a trade a few years back. I was resigned to believe that knife was going to be sacrificed just so I could get paid well for this job. But much to my most pleasant surprise it not only survived the rigorous and torturous treatment it had to endure but it held up incredibly well. It didn't even loosen any of the moving parts nor did it do any significant damage to the blade itself. That's when I developed a super respect for Spyders with FRN handles and 440V blades :cool: Because with all the laws of physics in play that knife should have died a violent death but instead it stills lives and works hard for me to this very day.

And to tell you the truth there really isn't a close second to that one when considering any "worn out" Spyders in my rotation because I rotate my "user arsenal" so systematically that I really don't give many of my Spyders even a chance to wear out>> or to be subjected to that type of abuse. But I do urge all of you to take any of the 440V era Spyders seriously because these units are built tough beyond belief. And I look for that bad boy to be around for a while yet :cool:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

farnorthdan wrote:Yep that native definitely has a unique blade shape ;)

@Darby, what did you use to make that notch, I've been thinking about adding to a couple of mine? I was considering using my chainsaw file.
Ken/Unit has a good tutorial video: https://youtu.be/VMvE-b4259A
Chris :spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My beloved cricket mod :) Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

anagarika wrote:

I also liked the next vid that came up showing Cliff using the sharpmaker medium rod, may have to try that.

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

This one.

It gets used in the saltwater daily, has been sharpened hundreds of times and the handle is covered in scratches and dents from prying open the mouths of big toothy fish to remove hooks. It has reeked of fish since the day I got it. I love it...smells like victory. :)

*It's worth noting that given all that, it's nowhere remotely near "worn out".
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

farnorthdan wrote:
anagarika wrote:

I also liked the next vid that came up showing Cliff using the sharpmaker medium rod, may have to try that.
I know this is a topic for another thread Dan but think twice before you go to filing. The only thing a sharpening choil is good for is snagging material.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What I use:
http://m.harborfreight.com/diamond-rota ... 20provided
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Surfingringo wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
anagarika wrote:

I know this is a topic for another thread Dan but think twice before you go to filing. The only thing a sharpening choil is good for is snagging material.
Good point Lance, maybe I'll try it on one of my less expensive "hard use" blades first to see if how I like it. ;)

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

farnorthdan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
anagarika wrote:

Good point Lance, maybe I'll try it on one of my less expensive "hard use" blades first to see if how I like it. ;)
Right on. I see them as a modification that decreases functionality to satisfy a bit of ocd. Not for me but some folks like them.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Here's a pic of my most worn out Spyderco:

O

It's a Superblue Stretch--- all that's left is the Spyderhole.... ;) :spyder: