Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Rhino

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:You mean The Elephant? ;) :D
Only if they made it with polished white G10!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: Maybe some day. :)
How is tomorrow looks for you? :)
Rofl! :D I have a few vacation days set aside, so why not? :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:SpyderNut, what are your thoughts on a Para 2 sized version of a Rhino someday?
That is a good question, LC. I've actually started to work on designing a larger Rhino. The larger version is very similar in appearance to the original version, but would feature a 3" blade and would be approximately 7 3/4" in overall length (which is actually closer in size to the PM3 than the PM2). The template is ready, but I need to first put the finishing touches on another new design before I can commence.

Edited to add comparison specifications.
Last edited by SpyderNut on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:You mean The Elephant? ;) :D
No. Just SuperRhino :) :D
;) SuperRhino has a nice ring to it.

Ippon

Post by Ippon »

If the "SuperRhino" kept the same bang for your buck factor as the Rhino, I'd be on that pre-order list very quickly
Kudzu

Post by Kudzu »

I haven't been this excited for a new knife in a long, long time. I'm looking forward to the Rhino more than my Para 3, and a 3-inch version would be very appealing.

As would a textured titanium-scale version.

And a brown G-10 version - there's not enough brown knives out there.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

With polished grey G10 to match the color of a rhino?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Northglenn500 wrote:With polished grey G10 to match the color of a rhino?
This^
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Kudzu wrote:I haven't been this excited for a new knife in a long, long time. I'm looking forward to the Rhino more than my Para 3, and a 3-inch version would be very appealing.

As would a textured titanium-scale version.

And a brown G-10 version - there's not enough brown knives out there.
Welcome aboard, Kudzu, and thank you for the kind words. I would enjoy hearing your feedback on the Rhino--after it comes in, of course. Titanium scales would be great, by the way. :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Northglenn500 wrote:With polished grey G10 to match the color of a rhino?
I have been thinking about either gray G-10 or dark gray Tero-tuff (similar in appearance and texture to Micarta).

vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderNut wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:SpyderNut, what are your thoughts on a Para 2 sized version of a Rhino someday?
That is a good question, LC. I've actually started to work on designing a larger Rhino. The larger version is very similar in appearance to the original version, but would feature a 3" blade and would be approximately 7 3/4" in overall length (which is actually closer in size to the PM3 than the PM2). The template is ready, but I need to first put the finishing touches on another new design before I can commence.

Edited to add comparison specifications.
This is excellent news! I love the overall design of the Rhyno, but I know it will be too small for me to get a comfortable 4 finger grip. If they made a scaled up version as well I would buy that release day. The original Rhyno I'm still going to check out, but its one I have to handle in person before I make a decision.
Kudzu

Post by Kudzu »

/fidgets anxiously

Any more news on a release date?
brj

Post by brj »

I see some dealers are still listing this with an ETA of feb 2017... I was under the impression it will get delayed, troubles with the QC IIRC.
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

SpyderNut wrote:
Holland wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I would love to see a picture of this knife next to a Chapparal.
That's what I will be waiting for too

Definitely an interesting little knife :D
Thanks Spencer and Darby. I'll have to see if I can get permission to post some comparison pictures. :)

Doc Dan wrote:Thanks Michael. Out of all the new designs that were shown and that I am aware of, the Rhino is the one I am most excited about.

I think this thread needs some pics, but I am too lazy to do it. :D
Thank you, sir. I am very pleased to hear that. :)

Here are Wouter's pictures from the Amsterdam Meet thread:
Mr Blonde wrote:The Reinhold Rhino is a compact little folder with a wicked cool bowie-style blade. I could (just) get a full four-finger grip on the compact handle. The ergos were great though. The G-10 grip was finished rather smooth, it appeared sanded down but the surface still offered some grip. The handle scale that also holds the clip, features a type of ‘subhilt’ feature. It really helps to lock the knife in your hand, but at the same time I kept reaching for a linerlock that wasn’t there when I wanted to close this knife. Still, I liked the Reinhold Rhino a lot.

Specifications
Overall Length: 15cm / 5.90 inches
Blade Length: 6 cm / 2.36 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 68 grams / 2.39 ounces
Man...seeing those photos really gets me super excited for this knife. I have a good feeling it will become extremely popular and, depending on where it's manufactured, we will see some fun and interesting sprint runs. Fingers crossed it drops by this summer! The only thing I would've liked to see on it was a wire clip but the spoon clip is probably the most functional clip I've ever used so I can't complain much :) Great work Spydernut...you should be proud! Can't even imagine how cool it'd be to have my name as a designer on a Spyderco!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd definitely be interested in a larger version. I prefer folders that offer a good full sized handle. Design looks fantastic, just a little small for me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I was hopeful the drop date was announced. :(
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Kudzu wrote:/fidgets anxiously

Any more news on a release date?
Please see below...
brj wrote:I see some dealers are still listing this with an ETA of feb 2017... I was under the impression it will get delayed, troubles with the QC IIRC.
Please see below...
Hovan-A-Sec wrote:
Man...seeing those photos really gets me super excited for this knife. I have a good feeling it will become extremely popular and, depending on where it's manufactured, we will see some fun and interesting sprint runs. Fingers crossed it drops by this summer! The only thing I would've liked to see on it was a wire clip but the spoon clip is probably the most functional clip I've ever used so I can't complain much :) Great work Spydernut...you should be proud! Can't even imagine how cool it'd be to have my name as a designer on a Spyderco!
Hey Kudzu and brj,
We're still in the "holding pattern" for the Rhino's delivery, but I have a good feeling it will be greatly worth the added wait. :) I am hoping maybe Spyderco or Sal might also weigh in with a status report soon. Thank you both for the support!

Hey Hovan-A-Sec,
Thank you for the nice compliments. :) I am still pinching myself about this (and I'll probably continue to pinch myself until I actually get to hold an actual Spyderco Rhino in person).

Take care guys and thanks again!

Kind regards,

Michael

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JRinFL wrote:I was hopeful the drop date was announced. :(
Whoops, my apologies JR. I just now saw your post. Please see my post (above). :)

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Soon, I hope?!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

JRinFL wrote:Soon, I hope?!
It would be nice. It seems like we've been waiting forever for this thing. Poor Michael, must be ready to blow a fuse by now.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt