My sell and keep list, would you do it different.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

My sell and keep list, would you do it different.

Post by swigert »

First off, this is 100% not a for sale thread.

I'm gonna post up a list of Spydies im thinking of keeping and I'm thinking of letting go of. Let me know your thoughts! Any I'm off on?

Keep
Hap 40 Endura
Hap 40 Delica
Forum native 5 green g10
Southard
South fork
Techno
Slysz Bowie
Mantra
Mantra 2
Manix 2 cruwear
Para 2 custom scales Lynch
Sage 1
USN ladybug
Foundry
GB 2
Pacific Salt SE

Sell
Custom scale Delica
Stainless Delica
CF s110v Native 5
Caly 3.5
Chaparral
Roadie
Positron
G10 DF2
Schempp BOwie
Domino
Manix 2 custom scales
SB Stretch
lil lion spy
Forum native lightweight
GB1
Manbug
Para 2 beater
Domino sprint
Military
SG89

Re: My sell and keep list, would you do it different.

Post by SG89 »

I would probably keep the forum native lw. Even though I don't use mine that often I still like the steel and FRN color. Other than that I think you have a pretty good overall list.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I would keep the Schempp Bowie, GB1 and Military for sure :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I really like the Military, Domino, Stretch, and GB1.
I wouldn't part with any of those since I carry them often.
I personally would trade their spots with Foundry, Sage 1, and GB2. :)

I'm sure many would have other views on the Chapparal also...
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Last edited by jtoler_9 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Pretty much agrees with my tastes, although you're selling 3 of my favorites that I would definitely keep:

SB Stretch
Domino Sprint
Chaparral
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Please don't ditch your Caly! :D
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
swigert

Post by swigert »

farnorthdan wrote:I would keep the Schempp Bowie, GB1 and Military for sure :)

The ergos just aren't good at all with the Bowie. I like 2 a lot more than the 1 and I will definitely be getting some military sprints this year. The one I'm thinking about selling is black on black s30v
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I would keep the Caly 3.5. I carry it often when I want a very significant but very discrete knife in situations where I don't want it to attract any attention.

I'd keep the Chaparral, assuming it's the CF one, because it's such a perfect, smooth-operating little knife which can do probably 95% of the things most people need a knife for in everyday situations, a great example of Sal's design and Taichung craftsmanship and a great second EDC.

I'd keep the G-10 D-fly just because it's such a great design and a Spyderco classic, though I carry my SB one much more often because it doesn't weight down my shirt pocket.

I'd keep the Millie unless you plan to get another one with a better metal, different scales, etc, because everybody needs a Millie ;) (I see above now that that's what you're going to do.)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

swigert wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I would keep the Schempp Bowie, GB1 and Military for sure :)

The ergos just aren't good at all with the Bowie. I like 2 a lot more than the 1 and I will definitely be getting some military sprints this year. The one I'm thinking about selling is black on black s30v
I hear ya, the bowie does have kind of a weird feel to it but man is it a beauty, I love that brass with the carbon fiber. I have a feeling it's going to be one of those sought after classics once they disco some day. Seems like all of schempp designs are funky but become collector pieces.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Based on my collecting so far is never to sell anything unless you hate it with a passion :)
I have lost count of how many knives i have had to find again because i found out i missed them after all ..
Also some of my knives i never really warmed up to suddenly fetch silly prices after only a year or two.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Two things stood out to me. I would sell the Southard as it's one of my least favorite Spydies, but some folks love it so if you're in that camp then you know what you're doing. The main thing I would say is keep the Chaparral, and it seems I'm not the only one with that opinion. The Chap is the nicest gents folder in the Spyderco lineup IMO. That's your Sunday go to church knife.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Keep the GB1 and Domino Sprint if you'd ask me ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I would say your list is just fine. I personally wouldn't be keeping a couple models that you like, but we each prefer different things.

I have a feeling that your acquisition of the first 2 knives on your list may have obsoleted many of the knives on your sell list, including some of the models that others are suggesting you should keep. Likewise, the Mantra obsoleted the Positron and Domino. Lastly, the GB2 replaced the GB1. Makes sense to me.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Given that I only own 2 out of the ones you plan on keeping, one of which I have little real use for, and 8 out of the ones you considering selling, a couple of which I actually like, I'd say our tastes are totally different.

I'll just add that I rarely ever sell a knife. Once purchased, they almost always stay with me. I've probably gifted more to friends than I've sold, and some of the ones I've gifted were later replaced. So I guess I'm really just an accumulator, rather than a collector.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I would keep the Chaparral (I assume 1?) and the Forum Native.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would keep the G10 Dragonfly and definitely keep the Military if that's the only one you have. Everyone needs a Military. I'd also keep the GB1 because I have a feeling they're going to be sought after when they're gone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I'd probably sell half your keepers and keep only one of your sellers, so I tend to agree with your lists ...

Gordon
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Definitely keep the GB1. I am biased because I love it, but think of it as an investment if nothing else because it is discontinued. Selling later would yield higher if you really don't use it.

I can't imagine why you would sell the Chaparral if it is the CF, but I suppose you could always pick up another if you missed it.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Keep the Dragonfly and Chaparral. Two excellent, iconic designs that will do 90% of what a folding knife will need to do.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation