Spyderco Wegner Lynx/Trakker/Ocelot Prototype

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Spyderco Wegner Lynx/Trakker/Ocelot Prototype

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Hi guys,

Here is my latest Spydie--my first prototype! This particular prototype has been one of my 3 top grail Spyders for years now (the others are the WTC and M4 PM2). It is the USA-made, BG42, compression lock version of the Ocelot, which was a Spyderco/Wegner collaboration, which, when in full production, was made in Japan with VG10 and a back lock.

According to what I could find in archived forum posts, this Spyderco/Wegner collaboration was originally called the Lynx, but since that name was taken by another company, it was renamed the Trakker and later the Ocelot. I have seen compression lock prototypes in green G10, green FRN, and black G10. The example that I acquired features black G10 with partially indented paw prints, unlike the production model, in which the prints go all the way through to the liner. Mine is number 005, and I have only seen one other black G10/compression lock Ocelot, which was #006. There is no mention of this version in Spydiewiki.

It has black G10 scales with the prints carved half way through them, steel liners, a compression lock with jimping, thumb ramp and choil jimping but not tip jimping, torx hardware, a 4-position standard 3-screw bug clip, a plain edge blade, and a lanyard tube. On the presentation side of the blade is written "Prototype 005 BG42 U.S.A. Wegner Design." The clip side of the blade is unmarked. The previous owner claimed that he had the knife handed to him by Tim Wegner.

If anyone has any info regarding whether this proto was made before or after the green versions (or any other applicable information), I would appreciate it if you would kindly post it in this thread. Overall, I'm very happy to have been able to add this grail Spyder to my collection. Thanks for looking! :) :spyder:

presentation side

clip side

closed

detail of compression lock viewed from the spine

detail of blade
The Deacon

Re: Spyderco Wegner Lynx/Trakker/Ocelot Prototype

Post by The Deacon »

Don't have any info regarding the black ones but, while I'm not sure of its significance, I do find it interesting that the blade markings on your black prototype are different from those on my green/black one as is the clip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi GS,

There is a lot of controversy regarding these "prototypes". Probably nothing to discuss on the forum. I'm traveling for the next week. Hit me up when I get back.

sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

I would love one of these.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Sweet find!! Mighty piece to add to the collection! But very intrigued by Sal's comment on the controversy surrounding these prototypes...
simyo

Post by simyo »

Wow a wegner with a compression lock that sounds like the knife of my dreams. Great score I guess I'll be on the lookout for one myself.
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

Very cool knife Eli. Haven't run across one of those yet. How do the prototypes relate, if at all, to the experimental knives numbered with a CX-** ? Don't mean to hijack the thread by any means. I am wondering what steps Spyderco goes through when bringing a new design into being. Sal's comment does lend an air of mystery.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Note: complete speculation on my part - At one point, Spyderco had an employee that was selling Spydercos that went out the back door, or out of the dumpster, etc. Now I might be remembering incorrectly, but it seems this person also had some unauthorized one-offs. It wouldn't surprise me if this knife is one of these unauthorized knives that this employee slapped together for himself (or herself).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Very interesting piece, GS. You have a knack for ferreting out some very unique Spydercos, that's for sure.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very nice piece, to be sure. You certainly do have a gift for discovering those highly elusive Spydies. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice pickup Eli! Heck of a bombshell comment there from Sal though! And you know that pilot Manix is a "prototype" too, so this is your second one sort of. :) P.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys!

I'll be emailing Sal for the story next week. I remember that some of these prototypes were unauthorized, and I know that Sal has said that there will be no more Wegner collabs. I have my own hypothesis, but in the spirit of shiny footprints, I won't post it here.

I just wish that the Ocelot was still in production and had a compression lock...a comp lock Ocelot in M4 and linen Micarta would be the end all, be all Spyderco, but I know it is impossible for at least 3 reasons...I guess that the prototype is the best consolation I can get! ;)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Thanks guys!

I'll be emailing Sal for the story next week. I remember that some of these prototypes were unauthorized, and I know that Sal has said that there will be no more Wegner collabs. I have my own hypothesis, but in the spirit of shiny footprints, I won't post it here.

I just wish that the Ocelot was still in production and had a compression lock...a comp lock Ocelot in M4 and linen Micarta would be the end all, be all Spyderco, but I know it is impossible for at least 3 reasons...I guess that the prototype is the best consolation I can get! ;)
Okay, now I think I was wrong with my first guess. :o But I found a thread that substantiates what you're saying, so I think you're on the right track.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The Ocelot is a great knife, carries very well and it comfortable in use. It could be improved imho with a thinner blade stock, nested liner lock and micarta scales :D

Almost bought one of the green comp lock ones, but snoozed at the end of the auction and didn't get it (didn't go very high either...)
Rapidray

Post by Rapidray »

I am glad to see you got this one. It went for more money than I had. :) Enjoy it. Will be interested on what Sal has to say also.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Thanks guys!

I'd love to hear Sal's response when you get it, as my memory of his response to me on this subject may have become clouded over the years.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I love the Ocelot style and being a cat lover can't help but adore the little kitty prints :)

jabba359 wrote:Note: complete speculation on my part - At one point, Spyderco had an employee that was selling Spydercos that went out the back door, or out of the dumpster, etc. Now I might be remembering incorrectly, but it seems this person also had some unauthorized one-offs. It wouldn't surprise me if this knife is one of these unauthorized knives that this employee slapped together for himself (or herself).
Not uncommon sadly- folks risking a $40k a year job for a few hundred bucks in their back pocket.

If there are any Gerber Mk2 collectors on here, they will know that the term 'lunchbox special' is common in that field- More than one US Gerber employee down the 30 years of domestic production was doing a sideline
Probably the most common one is a Mk 2 longer blade on the shorter Mk1 grip, or odd variations without serial numbers that don't appear on the official records.

Heck, we had some 'enterprising individual' *ahem* prosecuted for refurbishing Vespa scooter parts using works equipment while quiet on nights- as anyone in Aerospace will tell you, you can't mix in industrial or automotive products anywhere near your value stream.....Someone realised that their Vespa parts shouldn't be arriving painted Boeing Corporate Green ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys! I'm off for a 5 day backpacking trip, so I won't be on here again until Saturday.
The Deacon wrote: I'd love to hear Sal's response when you get it, as my memory of his response to me on this subject may have become clouded over the years.
No problem--I'll forward it to you.