Favorite Tactical Knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Favorite Tactical Knife

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I hate to bring up another brand besides Spyderco but Eickhorn of Solingen, Germany, makes great combat and field knives and bayonets. Check them out. The Eichorn Wolverine is an odd but cool looking knife.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

twinboysdad wrote:"There are no tactical knives, only tactical minds" - Fred Perrin
Exactly.

We gotta stop, at least here in the US, imbuing our tools of choice with mystical fighting properties. This fetishization simply offers low-hanging fruit to Second Amendment infringers wanting to look like their curtailing bad behavior.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I have yet to see my favorite tactical knife! It's so tactical that when it arrived and I opened the box it wasn't there...I think?
It could have been anywhere! Kinda of eerie but yet I felt a sense of security that I haven't before.
Maybe one day it will reveal itself to me and let me bask in all its glory and if/when it does...i'll promptly get a knew one, on account that the old one will be less tactical by revealing itself.
Until that time, I shall sleep soundly knowing that it's out there...somewhere...watching over me.

Dan

I can neither confirm nor deny the validity of this account
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

wrdwrght wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:"There are no tactical knives, only tactical minds" - Fred Perrin
Exactly.

We gotta stop, at least here in the US, imbuing our tools of choice with mystical fighting properties. This fetishization simply offers low-hanging fruit to Second Amendment infringers wanting to look like their curtailing bad behavior.
Of course there is some truth to this statement, but just as we all agree that the responsibility lies with the person using the tool, the responsibility also lies with the person using the term. You're still just talking about adjectives that serve to mark one thing apart from other similar things. Why don't we have as many people with an problem with "hunting knives" or "hunting rifles?" Because less people object to the act of hunting animals for food, not because of the word itself.

If I say I'm going to the range with my assault rife, you don't imagine I've used it previously to assault someone or something. You know what I mean by assault rife, because it's a common term that describes a specific group of firearms with similar properties. Like it or not, this rifle was in fact designed to shoot and kill (or wound) as many people as practically possible. This is not a mystical property, but it was a design intent, and that intent bothers some people who don't think the general populace is responsible enough to handle having access to tools with this design intent. I submit that we could all agree to suddenly start calling such rifles "cute kitten picture guns" and the people that previously opposed them would still oppose them. I'll turn it around on you: why do AR owners in California grouse so much about the "bullet button" requirement on their mag release? Does it actually impact their plinking?

"Hey, I'm heading to the range with the firearm formerly known as the assault rifle, wanna join?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

tvenuto wrote:You're still just talking about adjectives that serve to mark one thing apart from other similar things.
I certainly am.

Adjectives are prejudicial. When meant to sway judgement, adjectives may have little to do with what they modify. Mischaracterizations, like "assault" rifle and "tactical" knife, should be called out as such. Apparently you don't think it matters. I must be wrong.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

tvenuto wrote:Like it or not, this rifle(assault rifle) was in fact designed to shoot and kill (or wound) as many people as practically possible.
Beware, the last time I claimed this in a "gun thread" here people went ballistic...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

edit: never mind!!! I'm not getting involved in this one! :rolleyes:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

wrdwrght wrote: I certainly am.

Adjectives are prejudicial. When meant to sway judgement, adjectives may have little to do with what they modify. Mischaracterizations, like "assault" rifle and "tactical" knife, should be called out as such. Apparently you don't think it matters. I must be wrong.
I'll bite. What exactly would you change the adjective to, then, if tactical is a "mischaracterization?" Or are you saying that there is no meaningful distinction between what one would call an assault rifle versus a hunting rifle, or tactical knife versus a hunting knife? Also, when you say "meant to sway judgement" are you claiming that assault and tactical were chosen by those who wanted them to sound scary?

This seems to be turning into a ''rose by any other name" debate, which may have no resolution. But I'm happy to keep discussing it if we can all keep our panties from twisting up (hard when it seems to have an inexorable gravity towards politics). As an aside, just because I don't think something matters doesn't mean you're wrong. You know this, of course, but I wanted to let you know that I know it too.
Ignaz wrote:Beware, the last time I claimed this in a "gun thread" here people went ballistic...
Ha, I see what you did there. I'm certainly no gun historian, but I'm fairly sure most of our gun technology was war-motivated (with the notable and ironic exception of the Gatling gun). I'm certainly open to correction if I'm in error, but that would surprise me.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tvenuto wrote:
I'll bite. What exactly would you change the adjective to, then, if tactical is a "mischaracterization?" Or are you saying that there is no meaningful distinction between what one would call an assault rifle versus a hunting rifle, or tactical knife versus a hunting knife? Also, when you say "meant to sway judgement" are you claiming that assault and tactical were chosen by those who wanted them to sound scary?
I'm not sure why they were chosen but I believe they are often used in marketing for that very reason. I believe that is the crux of the issue to which wrdwrght was alluding.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Sometimes you just take marketing and run with it.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

How about a Tom Mayo custom boot knife? (I just happened to have this photo handy.)

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Seems to me there is quite difference (at least in my mind) as to what is Tactical and what is Assault....Dictionary seems to think so as well: Lets look and compare the three most significant definitions for each.....
Tactical:adjective
1. of or relating to tactics, especially military or naval tactics.
2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure:
tactical movements.
3.of or relating to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.

Assault: noun
1.a sudden, violent attack; onslaught:
an assault on tradition.
2.Law. an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner.
3.Military. the stage of close combat in an attack.

Tactical Knife....Zombie Killer Knife......Skull Crusher Knife.....The Warrior.....Shark Knife.....Paramilitary.....the list goes on and on.....Blame it on Marketing and Advertizing, Ignorance and Money....it is what it is.....Now none of these names scare me, (persons buying them might lol) not really........If you go to Ebay and type Tactical Knife there are 11,494 listings....staring at around $8.95 for most......Yeah that's the kinda of knife I want for a tactical engagement! Let's not get caught up in the nonsense...Knives are just that Knives.... any other label you want to put on them is more like a note to one's self....so you remember what task to use it for......Now somebody please point me in the direction that Zombie went!....Doc:)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Philippine Marine Recon. I'm guessing these guys know what tactical is too.

The have a bolo that they designed to fit their use. They call it "life extender".

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Oh yeah ...that"s a screensaver for me LOL.....Thanks Chuck!.....Doc:)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm sure you have a pic of yourself dual wielding that will make me pee my pants doc. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bdblue wrote:How about a Tom Mayo custom boot knife? (I just happened to have this photo handy.)

Thats a beauty!
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

I understood what was meant by "tactical;" for those who do not, or dislike the term, I reckon "having a reasonably-large blade, with hand-filling handle, reasonably suited to long-term use in abusive environments, for a variety of tasks, to include the dismemberment of medium-sized mammals" should sufffice. ;) The "reasonable" part is important, as it allows one to take into account a variety of factors, from hand size and limitations on weight, to preferred fighting style, to intended field(s) of operation, to applicable laws and restrictions.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

This little guy helps me fight hunger on a daily basis. I'm 70, don't go hiking into remote wilderness areas, and am not in particularly great physical shape. OTOH, I'm still a damned good shot. So, in a purely practical sense, that's more "tactical" for me than the Combat Troodon I carry on the off chance I may run out of bullets before I can stop a two, or four, legged aggressor.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

Randall model one APFK .... 6 inch blade
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'd reckon anything Fred Perrin or Michael Janich makes.
I have the Street Bowie and have had the Yo2.