Blog Entry: Most Bizarre Spyderco Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Blog Entry: Most Bizarre Spyderco Knives

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The people at Knife Depot have a blog and this was one of their posts:

http://www.knife-depot.com/blog/10-most ... e-designs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I always thought the "Q" was super-unique and amazing. I like the patterned cut-outs.

The Dive Probe is neat.

Caspian Salt is one of my favorites.
Evil D

Re: Blog Entry: Most Bizarre Spyderco Knives

Post by Evil D »

Eh, at least they have the guts to take a risk on designs and stand apart from the ocean of typically designed knives. Everyone's different. I think the Gunting is among the ugliest knives ever made but I'm sure lots of people like it. Different strokes and all that.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If you were going on a boating/fishing/diving trip and you had access to one, would the Caspian Salt either pointed or blunt tip be a choice for you, EvilD, or would you choose a different one?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'm surprised the Phoenix and Khalsa aren't on the list!
And come on, you've gotta love the Dodo! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, I thought the Jot Singh Khalsa should've made the list long before the Q.
:bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yes, and what about the Poliwog?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

SpyderNut wrote:Yes, and what about the Poliwog?
Exactly, should've made the list before most of the others did. And so do others, like the Bi-Fold or Spydercard :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:If you were going on a boating/fishing/diving trip and you had access to one, would the Caspian Salt either pointed or blunt tip be a choice for you, EvilD, or would you choose a different one?
Man I really wish we could use the @Evil D function here...

But, I think I'd go with a tip. I think the blunt tip is more for diving purposes. If you're just fishing, having a tip is probably way more convenient.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I did not take the list as a bash, just celebrating the uniqueness.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Two extremely bizzare Spyderco blades came from the mid 2000s>> they were the "TOAD" folder and the "SPOT" fixed blade. Both had very short blades and I never figured out what either one of them were intended to be used for.

Two other models that most of the knife buying public I'm sure woud deem to be weird and bizzare are the DODO folder and the KARAHAWK.

What amazes me more than anything is that the DODO was one model I first thought to be nothing more than a novelty type knife only to find out that it makes one great EDC blade. When it comes to Spyderco knives looks are very deceiving.
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

My vote goes to the new Swayback; at least to me it looks upside down. The end of the handle sweeps up instead of down, the end of the blade sweeps down instead of up and the lines appear to run opposite of where they should. Every time I pick mine up I find myself fumbling with it because I’m holding it upside down. I have to look down at it, realize it’s upside down, adjust it and then open it. It’s the only Spyderco I own that does not feel “right” in my hands. Even knives like the introvert, poliwog & Karambit feel “correct” in the hand if a bit odd. My opinion only so please don’t crucify me if you disagree.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Spydie-Newbie wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:47 am
My vote goes to the new Swayback; at least to me it looks upside down. The end of the handle sweeps up instead of down, the end of the blade sweeps down instead of up and the lines appear to run opposite of where they should. Every time I pick mine up I find myself fumbling with it because I’m holding it upside down. I have to look down at it, realize it’s upside down, adjust it and then open it. It’s the only Spyderco I own that does not feel “right” in my hands. Even knives like the introvert, poliwog & Karambit feel “correct” in the hand if a bit odd. My opinion only so please don’t crucify me if you disagree.
As I understand it, Swaybacks are usually smaller knives that are used for pull-cutting, like peeling fruit. So it's designed to be held backwards a lot of the time, which is probably why it feels odd when holding it like any other knife.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Spydie-Newbie wrote:
While it's unusual in a modern style knife, the swayback pattern is fairly common in traditional knives. The upside down handle is to facilitate draw cuts as you would use peeling an apple i.e. cutting toward your thumb. The slycz is mainly unusual in it's large size and modern materials for the pattern.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

For a minute I thought SEF was back...
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:35 am
For a minute I thought SEF was back...
Me too!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
archangel

Post by archangel »

I wish the Szabofly was still around. And legal, which it isn't here. :( Oh well....

What happened to SEF?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

He made a dramatic exit several months ago.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yeah, I now took the time to read his last postings. Very weird...

Anyway, back to subject. Hey, I own 3 of the 30 listed ;) and would love to own another 4 or 5. Or 6. Maybe 7....... :D
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SEF is really missing.
Like there can be only one Bloke, there also can (could) be only one SEF... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:09 am
Spydie-Newbie wrote:
While it's unusual in a modern style knife, the swayback pattern is fairly common in traditional knives. The upside down handle is to facilitate draw cuts as you would use peeling an apple i.e. cutting toward your thumb. The slycz is mainly unusual in it's large size and modern materials for the pattern.
Oh. That’s cool. I had no idea. So thanks to COVID boredom I actually tried peeling an apple with the swayback and then with an advocate, kapara, Ulize & Ikuchi. Conclusion: the swayback was indeed very good for that specific task. The advocate & Kapara were good as well but not as good (I’ll say 3rd & 4th place) the Ulize was almost as good; (2nd place) and the Ikuchi was firmly in last place. Assessment was based on how the knife felt & functioned while peeling the apple. My wife thought I was nuts & refused to provide a second opinion but cheerfully helped me eat the peeled apple. Thanks for the info.