Spyderco kitchen knife set

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Spyderco kitchen knife set

Post by Surfingringo »

I recently got a k04 serrated kitchen knife. I have not had a chance to use it yet but given my experience with Spyderco serrations and the very thin grind on this blade, I have a decent idea of what to expect. ;)

I was speaking with my father yesterday, who has slowly but surely become a Spyderco convert over the last year, and he asked me if Spyderco made a set or "block" of kitchen knives. Now personally I would rather just buy a couple of good knives and keep them in the drawer but a lot of folks are used to buying their kitchen knives in those types of sets with some sort of block to hold them so I was curious if that's anything that was on the radar. Seems like the market would be there and it would be a good way to increase sales volume. I imagine here's plenty of folks out there that might buy only buy a couple of kitchen knives individually but would buy a set of 10 if it was offered. My father being one example. Would be interesting to hear Sal chime in on this one.
Brock O Lee

Re: Spyderco kitchen knife set

Post by Brock O Lee »

I agree, a full set in a knife block would be nice. I already have enough kitchen knives, so I prefer to buy the singles, and just stick them on a magnetic rack.

The K04 SE is the most used one of the bunch nowadays.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hey Lance, my K04 is amazing. I do not generally like serrated knives for kitchen use but that thing sails through a bagel with ease. Whoa! It also seems to do an amazing job of falling through a tomato under it's own weight. :D I still need to buy a Spyderco Santoku.

I would like to see a more complete set offered myself but I am not a fan of blocks and prefer wood covered magnet strips. I still need to buy a Spyderco Santoku.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Nice Aqua Salt!
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Knife sets used to be really popular, but lately many more people are arguing to buy at most 2-3 high end knives vs a block of knives, many of which you never need. However when an argument like this gets popular it can snowball and all of a sudden people say it just because other people say it. This ends up distorting how many people really want/need it.

It would be interesting to know if the average person who needed kitchen knives (new house for example), would they look for a set vs try to put one together. Sets are really inexpensive here locally due to the mass chain stores which offer massive discounts so you can end up with sets as low as $50 even from decent named brands.

What knives would you want to see in a Spyderco block? Maybe they could do a block but make it much smaller than the normal set.

-chef, utility, paring

or

-chef, utility,paring + 6 steak
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey cliff, I would definitely agree that most folks don't need all the knives in those big blocks but many consumer still want them for some reason. I like your idea of putting together a smaller set.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree that you do not need a lot of knives to do most things. These are out on the magnetic strip for public use and I do most of my own cutting with them as well and 99% of the time they are all I need. I have a couple tucked away and are for my use only. I think your question might bring up an interesting point and that is that we are all gonna have different lists of what we would like to see. For example, I like Santokus and don't need a paring knife very often but as a fisherman must have a fillet knife. Others may need a paring knife and not a fillet knife and may also dislike Santokus. It would appear as though Spyderco would have to produce multiple configurations if they went down this road. There are also a lot of differences in our preferences of serrations and one serrated knife is enough for me. I suppose the knife blocks with a full assortment are meant to try to cover everybody's wants or needs.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Haha.. you guys just cost me $30! I finally pulled the trigger on a blue handled K04S to go with my Santouku and my Yang, after reading all of the favorable reviews here. :)

I have to admit, I might not have spent the money on a block full of knives, but I do seem to be accumulating them pretty fast. If Spyderco sold an empty block (with a slot big enough for a Santouku) I would buy one, though! :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

A block is pretty good for storing the blades ready for use without them rattling around in a kitchen drawer. Ours is a Global one, comprising a corrugated plastic inner that flexes to trap all sizes of handle and can be taken apart to clean, but was not bought as part of a set.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have two blocks from sets, which we bought 20-25 years ago. All these knives are gone and blocks filled with singles. Most used is 8" Kanetsune Gyuto. Both my wife and I love it. My second most used is Spyderco Santoku. My wife doesn't like it :( and she uses Yang, which I am not crazy about. We have Two paring knives: Spyderco and KAI, which see some use. K04 PE and SE, K06 SE and no name Japanese 7" Gyuto see very little use.
I think that single are much better than set. Still each person need to figure out, what he/she likes. I really liked utility knives until I got Santoku. But, if Spyderco will make 9-10" Gyuto, probably I will use Santoku less.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I also have one of the 6.5 inch SE kitchen knives and I have just one issue with it. I am not sure if it is common to most kitchen knives since I haven't yet went shopping for some nice higher end kitchen knives but the old Farberware set that I have doesn't have this problem. That is the length of the handle.......it feels too short for me to get my whole hand around the handle portion. I wish it was about an inch longer. Perhaps a real chef might prefer the shorter handle but I would definitely prefer it to be a little longer.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D