Why No CPM-S110V Option for the Manix XL??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

Why No CPM-S110V Option for the Manix XL??

Post by dreadpirate »

I have a light weight Manix 2 in CPM-S110V and love it! Great design. Great steel. Great value. Why can't we get a S110V option for the Manix XL?? For that matter - I would like to see Spyderco offer more knives in any model in S110V steel.
Mike157

Re: Why No CPM-S110V Option for the Manix XL??

Post by Mike157 »

Not quite the same thing, but S90V is nothing to sneeze at. :D Mike
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Manix XL is, I believe, less popular than the Military and Para2 so I would ask, why no S110V Military or Para2?

I would say just be patient and it will get here. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

The question is not why, the question is when. Bring on the S110V Millie, PM2, and Manix 2 XL!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The S90V Manix XL is a performer and should satisfy anyone looking for that class "super steel". Both steels are amazing to me.

Joe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The Manix XL is, I believe, less popular than the Military and Para2 so I would ask, why no S110V Military or Para2?

I would say just be patient and it will get here. :)
Probably not the answer you want, but I don't believe steel runs are always based off popularity, or rather what is MOST popular, at least not for standard production runs. There are other knives that are still very strong selling knives, and perhaps the steel options go to those to further drive sales and interest. Believe it or not, the rest of the knife buying market and John Q. Knifebuyer may not be so in love with the Para 2 as we forumites are.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have always assumed the Para2 was the most popular golden made model due to the fact that it seemed to be the one that was most commonly out of stock.

I do think it is awesome that Spyderco has chosen to put S110V in affordable lightweight models. The Manix is not for me but I am looking forward to the Native5 LW S110V. A ukpk in S110V will certainly be a very affordable and lightweight way to put some S110V in your pocket. This is unprecedented stuff right here. Simply amazing.

Spyderco does seem to excel at knowing what the market wants and what the market will bear. They certainly seem to be marketing pros and steel choice is a part of that so I don't question it too much. I don't get to worried about them not making a knife I want to see because they already make more knives that I want than I need or can afford. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The Manix XL is, I believe, less popular than the Military and Para2....
It was less popular with me too until I took delivery of a Manix XL in S90v. It's easily my favorite knife now. It is an epic knife. I thought it would be just too large, judging from the specs, but it's not. It's the most ergonomic and natural-feeling knife I own (out of about 100 or so).

I was hoping/wanting Spyderco to implement more, different steel types in the Manix XL, and figured they would get to it eventually. Some S110v and others (CPM-M4 maybe?) would be most welcome.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I would be all over a Manix XL in s110v. Or a PM2, for that matter. I'd be less interested in a military, but I'd probably pick one of those up too. :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I love the Manix XL, like JJJ, it was love at first grasp. The CF version satisfies my need for a high carbide blade in S90V. I would be most interested in something tougher or more stainless, like Lc200N. Truth be told I really don't need it in any different steels, but that would be my choice if it did.