1.Pretty 2.Practical 3.Please!?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

1.Pretty 2.Practical 3.Please!?!

Post by spyderg »

So What is your
1. "Grail" that you will likely never buy, or never carry and use if you do buy, (I use all mine so for me it's never buy but love anyway)

2. Knife you use all the time or plan to buy for such purpose, (Good balance of price, quality, usability. Not necessarily the cheapo that you don't care about and abuse but the one you use regularly and take reasonable care of but at the same time don't mind REALLY using)

3. Please Sal, make it happen. I know this part of the thread has been done before but hey, can't blame a guy for trying...

Mine
1. Graham Midnight Razel, or pretty much any custom Graham Razel folder, Stubbies included. - I just don't think I could bring myself to beat on one the way they are screaming to be used. Even the midtechs too pricey for that.

2. Spyderco Gayle Bradley - Haven't had it long but feel it will be my main edc except for days I need to carry something smaller. (I have a CRKT folding Razel for abusing)

3. Spyderco Graham collaboration, or that Slysz swayback - Either would likely bump the GB out of my pocket.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
dgebler

Re: 1.Pretty 2.Practical 3.Please!?!

Post by dgebler »

1. Spyderco WTC or Peter Carey custom (probably tension)
2. Right now its a tie between the two slysz...bowie and techno. Probably edge to the bowie.
3. H1 salty balisong.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

1. Also the WTC. More of a memorial knife than a knife to be used (for me).
2. The Southard folder
3. Full sized Dyad Salt
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

1. The 25th anniversary Delica
2. Manix 2 S110V
3. A Salbenza
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

1. Ti ATR or Klotzli Michael Walker.
2. Any Para 2.
3. Send me an original rhino horn Lil Temp! :D
:bug-red-white
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

1. C27 Jess Horn in NIB, buying yes, using no
2. Calypso jr. Sprint 2005
3. Calypso jr. Sprint with titanium bolsters, burgundy micarta scales and Super-G1 blade
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

1. C31 Europa :rolleyes:

2. Any PM2, Manix, or Native

3. M4 PM2
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

1. Doesnt apply. If I want it I buy it and if I buy it I use it. Not big on the fancy stuff.
2. Pacific Salt (serrated), simply for the amount of practical use it sees on my kayak.
3. A "salt" version of the military or similar larger folder.

Actually I've got several that would fall into the "please" category. :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

1) Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native, CTS 204p Para2, Caly3 CF Damascus ( I own and use these but baby them ). I own two unused knives out of almost 40 Spyders and that is becasue they are pre-need replacements, not grails or safe queens. These are my special knives though.

2) My old trusty Digi/Satin Para2, Cruwear Military, Super Blue Delica, Super Blue Caly 3 + 3.5, Centofante4, Ladybug Hawkbill ( I carry these the most and they don't get babied at all)

3) Super Blue Kiwi4, M4 Para2, Cruwear Para2, ZDP Centofante 3 or 4, M4 Sage2, frn "R" model and a Carbon Fiber Equilibrium to go with my CF Balance. ( I could come up with many more too :) )

Sorry I couldn't narrow this down any more than this. :eek:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:1) Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native, CTS 204p Para2, Caly3 CF Damascus ( I own and use these but baby them ). I own two unused knives out of almost 40 Spyders and that is becasue they are pre-need replacements, not grails or safe queens. These are my special knives though.

2) My old trusty Digi/Satin Para2, Cruwear Military, Super Blue Delica, Super Blue Caly 3 + 3.5, Centofante4, Ladybug Hawkbill ( I carry these the most and they don't get babied at all)

3) Super Blue Kiwi4, M4 Para2, Cruwear Para2, ZDP Centofante 3 or 4, M4 Sage2, frn "R" model and a Carbon Fiber Equilibrium to go with my CF Balance. ( I could come up with many more too :) )

Sorry I couldn't narrow this down any more than this. :eek:
Haha...cheater! Your list looks way more attractive than anyone elses...if for no other reason than sheer volume! ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:1. Doesnt apply. If I want it I buy it and if I buy it I use it. Not big on the fancy stuff.
2. Pacific Salt (serrated), simply for the amount of practical use it sees on my kayak.
3. A "salt" version of the military or similar larger folder.

Actually I've got several that would fall into the "please" category. :D
I'm telling you Surfingringo I'm getting to be more like you, EVIL D and ARCHIMEDES every passing day. I still do have a few safe queens but it's not a growing population per se. A great user is a great knife to me anymore. As far as a Holy Grail goes>> I would have to have 2 of them i.e. one to use and one for the collection.

1. Grail>> C-27 Jess Horn ( if there are even any left on planet earth :rolleyes: )

2. It's a toss up between my XHP Military and C-60 Ayoob models.

3. I've just got to give honorable mention to my stalwart, workhorse 440v SE Native. That knife has almost been through the equivalent of 2 World Wars :cool: and like a well made watch it just keeps on ticking. Interesting thread however
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

spyderg wrote: Spyderco Graham collaboration, or that Slysz swayback
Yessssssssssssssss!!!!! :D :D :D
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

1. Jedi lightsaber.

2. Caly 3 Super Blue. (among a large group of others...)

3. This one I could go on and on and have some fun with imagination... but for now a reasonable thought comes to mind; how about another Tim Wegner collaboration, maybe similar to the Ocelot, but with a Compression Lock and peel-ply.
I'm just already anxious and excited to see what might already be in the works; like the next wave of Delica/Stretch, and possibility of smaller Paramilitary.
Going back to Caly.
Rare Blade

Post by Rare Blade »

1. Grimsmo Norseman
2. Lum Tanto Folder
3. I second the slysz swayback
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

1. SE Ayoob
2. G10 VG10 Caly 3.5 (best knife I have ever owned) 2B. Ladybug Hawkbill H1 SE (the perfect LBK)
3. Any sprint of the G10 Caly 3.5 (including a VG10 sprint at this sad point)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

SpeedHoles wrote:how about another Tim Wegner collaboration, maybe similar to the Ocelot, but with a Compression Lock and peel-ply.
I think what you are looking for already exists in the form of the Trakker prototype. Third picture down: http://paulberetta.com/trakker.htm

Also, I seem to recall an archived post where Sal said that there was some "difficulty" between Spyderco and Wegner, and that a new collaboration was unlikely. Maybe I dreamed that up?
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

1) Spyderco NASA Delica...I have a degree in aviation management so this appeals to me

2) I'm running an Endura4 ZDP-189 with custom scales (smooth and contoured) made by an awesome dude from the Russian Federation. I carry IWB so it's comfy and comes out fast!

3) COME ON! the obvious would be a collab with Todd Rexford built in Golden
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:how about another Tim Wegner collaboration, maybe similar to the Ocelot, but with a Compression Lock and peel-ply.
I think what you are looking for already exists in the form of the Trakker prototype. Third picture down: http://paulberetta.com/trakker.htm

Also, I seem to recall an archived post where Sal said that there was some "difficulty" between Spyderco and Wegner, and that a new collaboration was unlikely. Maybe I dreamed that up?

Ah makes sense, I could see that being true.
And wow! Yeah, that is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Too bad I'll probably never see one let alone use one ever!
Thanks for the link, much appreciated.
Going back to Caly.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

1. Not sure. I think I have enough knives I don't use already.

2. Manix 2 LW, s110v (folder) or Sprig (fixed)

3. Sage 3 in s110v or Chaparral with CBBL