Is the SpyderHawk H1 SE or similar coming back?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Is the SpyderHawk H1 SE or similar coming back?

Post by DansGunBlog »

Are there any plans to bring back the SpyderHawk H1 SE or a similar concept?

Not really looking at the SuperHawk - that has a very wide blade... the SpyderHawk seems to be a larger Tasman Salt with similar design lines, which is what I'm looking at.

Thanks!
Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
The Deacon

Re: Sal - is the SpyderHawk H1 SE or similar coming back?

Post by The Deacon »

DansGunBlog wrote:Are there any plans to bring back the SpyderHawk H1 SE or a similar concept?

Not really looking at the SuperHawk - that has a very wide blade... the SpyderHawk seems to be a larger Tasman Salt with similar design lines, which is what I'm looking at.

Thanks!
Dan
I'm not Sal, but my semi-educated guess would be that the only way that's likely to happen would be as a sponsored run. Either an Exclusive for a dealer or distributor, or a Forum Knife for another Forum, like the "toxic green" Catcherman that was done for USN (Usual Suspects Network).
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Re: Is the SpyderHawk H1 SE or similar coming back?

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm personally hoping for a Sprint Run myself>> it's amazing to me how many people I've not only encountered on this Forum but many people I've talked to through other sources who would like to see the return of the Spyderhawk in H-1 or even in one of the newer supersteels.

It did a lot better sales-wise when they brought it back in H-1 the last go-around but Deacon is right it's going to take a really heavy motivation before Sal would go ahead with it. But the more people that request it the better the chance we have of bringing it back and hopefully to the main line up>> But A Sprint version even with changes to the handle and blade steel would be a welcome addition.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I would be all for a sprint run or just a re release of the spyderhawk SE in H1. I picked one up for dirt cheap on the forums and it has been the BEST yard work knife I've ever had....it stays sharp for a very long time and takes out roots, vines and anything else I can get my hands on with ease. Love the blade shape, I've got a Tasman too but the spyderhawk screams use me and in my yard I don't have to worry what people think about my tools/knives when i whip em out to use em!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderHS08 wrote:I would be all for a sprint run or just a re release of the spyderhawk SE in H1. I picked one up for dirt cheap on the forums and it has been the BEST yard work knife I've ever had....it stays sharp for a very long time and takes out roots, vines and anything else I can get my hands on with ease. Love the blade shape, I've got a Tasman too but the spyderhawk screams use me and in my yard I don't have to worry what people think about my tools/knives when i whip em out to use em!
And that's what people need to hear is that the Spyderhawk is not only a cool looking design but highly useful as well. I've had a lot of people ask me what legitimate uses are there for Hawkbill blades and there are so many that it would be a thread in itself.

Not only is the Spyderhawk good for landscaping and agricultural work but I've found it great for doing many different jobs over the years. I used mine a lot during the holiday season for numerous jobs and it never failed me no matter what cutting job I used it on. I have no doubt that if the fishing industry would use the H-1 Spyderhawk they couldn't make enough of them.

But I've heard a lot of testimonies as to how useful they are with landscaping jobs in the past 3 to 5 years. A Sprint Version would be nice in H-1 but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to do a run of them with one of the newer/better blade steels?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think it would be a fun sprint to do in a carbon (white/blue/HAP40, etc) or ZDP-189 blade. Flat ground, plain edge. Maybe then a hollow-ground SE in a "tough" tool steel after that.

Beauty and the Beast, Spyderhawk style :D.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If enough noise is made on the forum about it sprints are likely.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:I think it would be a fun sprint to do in a carbon (white/blue/HAP40, etc) or ZDP-189 blade. Flat ground, plain edge. Maybe then a hollow-ground SE in a "tough" tool steel after that.

Beauty and the Beast, Spyderhawk style :D.
I like your idea Blerv with the exception of using ZDP-189 :( It's just not a steel condusive for a good Hawkbill IMO. But a Hawkbill with a tool steel like D-2 or XHP has got my attention big time ;)

Nothing wrong with the Spyderhawk in the H-1 steel and it was much more successful than the original VG-10 model from 2003 which flopped for all intents and purposes. But I've already got a couple of them in H-1 now I would like to see a Spyderhawk in a new steel of some type>> and yes I do think the tool steel is a great idea and I hope it grows legs :cool:

VASH HASH!!>> Brother I hope you're right on that one>> If that could happen you can count on me making noise for it :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It's gonna take a little more noise from a lot more people to get this knife back again. It was already resurrected once. I'm not holding my breath but i might cross my fingers from time to time. I wish i had bought like 5 when they were still available.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Cool. I'm personally not interested in a sprint run ... for me this knife would be a great no brainer at say $100 street price, but not for the premium sprints run at. Just from my personal utility standpoint. :-)

I keep looking at the Matriarch as a possible contender instead, but it's barely bigger than my Tasman Salt, and the Tasman Salt has a likely far stronger arc type blade shape.

Dan

** Note: edited above: intended to say $100 street price lol.
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:It's gonna take a little more noise from a lot more people to get this knife back again. It was already resurrected once. I'm not holding my breath but i might cross my fingers from time to time. I wish i had bought like 5 when they were still available.
Well the one big thing the Spyderhawk has going for it is that it's popularity has seemingly increased since it's last time of being discontinued. Actually I think that Hawkbills in general are getting just a bit more popular and by the most unexpected model of all and that being the Ladybug Hawkbill of all models :eek:

But it's a good thing because that micro small model I do believe has piqued everyone's curiosity about Hawkbill models and it's even convinced many of their usefulness.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DansGunBlog wrote:Cool. I'm personally not interested in a sprint run ... for me this knife would be a great no brainer at say $90 MSRP, but not for the premium sprints run at. Just from my personal utility standpoint. :-)

I keep looking at the Matriarch as a possible contender instead, but it's barely bigger than my Tasman Salt, and the Tasman Salt has a likely far stronger arc type blade shape.

Dan
So, you not only want Spyderco to bring it back, you want them to bring it back at an MSRP $30 less than before, ignoring the fact that all other models have increased in price since it was discontinued. Very little chances of that happening unless the Japanese economy goes into the toilet.

Also, FWIW, Sprint Run does not automatically imply premium materials. Granted, that's been the case with many of the recent ones, but all it really means is an model Spyderco feels it can sell a small quantity of, but is unwilling to put back into the regular lineup. Sometimes the only distinguishing feature has been a change in color to avoid confusion with earlier production runs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I somewhat tend to agree with you in part DEAC because I would in no way, shape or form would want Spyderco to "cheapen" any of their great blades.

Although I do see what Dan is talking about>> He is thinking that if they made the Spyderhawk to be marketed as let's say a "garden tool" which I think he perceives to be a way to sell it to the masses without the model giving the impression of being an agressive, ninja wannabe type blade.

Well anyway I didn't mean to put words in his mouth so to speak but again I would not want to see Spyderco go by the ways of Rip-Mart to sell any of their products at all. Because when you compromise quality you're ultimately going to lose respect for the product down the line.

What could do more to bring back the Spyderhawk, Merlin, G-10 Harpy and many more of our beloved Hawkbill blades is to educate the knife using public on what good and practical uses that the Spyderhawk indeed has. And I do find it increasingly interesting that more people all the time are chiming in and telling us how they've discovered what a great gardening and landscaping tool that the Spyderhawk is. So I believe that educating people on it's practical uses will ultimately be the best chance of bringing it back. Because I'm sure that if Spyderco thought the units would go out the door quickly for whatever intended uses it would be back in the main line up.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

The Deacon wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:Cool. I'm personally not interested in a sprint run ... for me this knife would be a great no brainer at say $90 MSRP, but not for the premium sprints run at. Just from my personal utility standpoint. :-)

Dan
So, you not only want Spyderco to bring it back, you want them to bring it back at an MSRP $30 less than before, ignoring the fact that all other models have increased in price since it was discontinued. Very little chances of that happening unless the Japanese economy goes into the toilet.

Also, FWIW, Sprint Run does not automatically imply premium materials. Granted, that's been the case with many of the recent ones, but all it really means is an model Spyderco feels it can sell a small quantity of, but is unwilling to put back into the regular lineup. Sometimes the only distinguishing feature has been a change in color to avoid confusion with earlier production runs.
Hey Paul.

Seems I was on here past my bedtime the other night... My bad, meant to say $90 street price (not MSRP), but let's $100. because heck, for $150 I'll get their very intriguing new tomahawk instead!! ;-)

Value is one of those interesting things... it's all perceived. You buy it if it's worth it to you. I buy Spyderco knives for the same reason I buy Glock handguns. I get a well designed, well produced, quality tool that "just works" for what I personally perceive to be a fair price. For me it's not about price, I'm a "value" guy, same reason I love Costco lol.

Regarding sprint runs, it's cool that Spyderco offers these, and indeed the ones I've seen tend to be far more expensive than I would personally choose to pay, because of what I'm getting them for. I of course do understand the economics behind it, and realize far better economies of scale can be achieved when mass producing.

But I'm not a collector, and I don't care about the best super steel... for me it's more simple than that. What Spyderco does is their own business perogative of course. As a guy who likes knives, all I can do is share what I find useful and interesting. And to be clear, I am by no means knocking the folks who do collect or the Spyderco sprint run method, I have no issue with any of that whatsoever. This thread for example was just about the fact that I like my Tasman Salt and thought gee, a bigger one would be cool. :-)

Dan

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ Not sure I see where you were headed with the thought about not being a price concious person, but more into value...?
You enjoy Glock and costco, great... but don't want a sprint run, only a full production run model? I'm confused.

JD Spydo wrote:Actually I think that Hawkbills in general are getting just a bit more popular and by the most unexpected model of all and that being the Ladybug Hawkbill of all models :eek:

But it's a good thing because that micro small model I do believe has piqued everyone's curiosity about Hawkbill models and it's even convinced many of their usefulness.

Exactly what happened in my case. Ladybug Hawkbill in H1 is the first hawkbill blade I ever purchased... and I'm impressed with the little blade that works further above its size should!
...also have been eyeballing the Lil Matriarch ever since I bought a BBS Domino awhile ago and now regret not getting the Lil Mat' along with it.
Going back to Caly.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

SpeedHoles wrote:^ Not sure I see where you were headed with the thought about not being a price concious person, but more into value...?
You enjoy Glock and costco, great... but don't want a sprint run, only a full production run model? I'm confused.
LOL the whole point is it's personal preference and to each their own. Great that a lot of folks enjoy sprint runs, I've just not ever found a compelling reason to go for one, meaning it doesn't fit in what I tend to go for. Same reason I don't take a stock $500 Glock which runs great to begin with and deck it out with $1500 worth of mods. At any rate, I was answering Paul's post above, it's not really any deeper than that. :-)

This whole post was about whether the SpyderHawk H1 SE or similar is coming back... my intent was main production, not sprint.

Dan

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Yeah I hear ya.
Hey, check the first page of the Exchange on BF right now. It's only a plain edge, but you might be interested...
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpeedHoles wrote:^

JD Spydo wrote:Actually I think that Hawkbills in general are getting just a bit more popular and by the most unexpected model of all and that being the Ladybug Hawkbill of all models :eek:

Exactly what happened in my case. Ladybug Hawkbill in H1 is the first hawkbill blade I ever purchased... and I'm impressed with the little blade that works further above its size should!
You're not the only one who has told me how awesome they think that the "Ladybug Hawkbill" is and it's surprising performance level for such a tiny knife. Which is why I'm now on a bandwagon for a Dragonfly sized Hawkbill. So if you all think that the Ladybug Hawkbill is a stellar performer then just imagine with a Spyderhawk could do for you. Becauase all small knives have their limitations and the higher up the ladder you get the more uses you can find for a Hawkbill blade.
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

I had both the SE and PE and sold them both a few years back.
Regretted it and had a **** of a time finding another PE.
I carry the PE regularly for longshore log work and its a great knife for quick rope cuts.
Would love to get my hands on a sprint of these knives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ForealBoreal wrote:I had both the SE and PE and sold them both a few years back.
Regretted it and had a **** of a time finding another PE.
I carry the PE regularly for longshore log work and its a great knife for quick rope cuts.
Would love to get my hands on a sprint of these knives.
Very interesting>> I'm always wanting to learn more uses for a plain edged Hawkbill. If you're talking about the blue handled, original plain edge Spyderhawk in VG-10 then I'm surprised that you found it at all.

Albeit I bet the PE Hawkbill is good for what you are using it for but personally I've had much better luck using Spyderedged Hawkbills for rope, twine and cordage.

Hey let's hope we do see a Sprint run of the Spyderhawk and yes I want both edges available. And I'm not giving up on a Hawkbill Dyad either.