S30V Techno?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brancron

S30V Techno?

Post by brancron »

Last edited by brancron on Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God'sMyJudge

Re: S30V Techno? Spyderco has some explaining to do.

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Well it's the internet, so there really is no reason to believe it isn't real.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Here is the pic from the link

I just scoured the interwebs to see if there are any Techno fakes like this (w/s30v stamped) and so far nothing.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Engraving error maybe?
:bug-red-white
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Normally this type of change is announced before hand. Anyone heard of it? Not the first time they have changed the blade steel of a given model. I don't think it is bad. S30V is a great steel IMO.

Jack
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

brancron wrote: The long and short of it: if what this person is saying is true (and I see no reason to not believe them), then Spyderco has switched the steel of the Techno to S30V without changing the information in its catalog or pamphlet that comes with the knife, without the online dealers changing the info, and without changing the price.
As far as retailers and price, changing the info stores/sites provide is their responsibility (as BHQ does with each run of Microtechs for example) and there is more to price than simply blade steel. I know during the time that Emerson was switching from backspacer to standoff construction, BHQ went out of their way to make sure I got the version I wanted from their existing stock. Difference being, I knew in advance that the change was coming.

But in terms of this change not being announced elsewhere, that seems odd to say the least.

Still a great knife that is worth the money, and S30v is no slouch of a steel.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

But isn't the Xhp marketed as a premium steel? It is always sucky when you spend that money and receive something that doesn't live up to your expectations, regardless of how slight the actual differences to an end user might be, between Xhp and s30v.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Absolutely.

If I bought one expecting XHP and it wasn't, I wouldn't be happy about it. But returning a knife and seeing if they have an XHP one in stock isn't out out of the question either. I just think it is a bit funny when people act like S30v is some crappy budget steel.

Definitely should be addressed by Spyderco at any rate.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Able Dog wrote:Absolutely.

If I bought one expecting XHP and it wasn't, I wouldn't be happy about it. But returning a knife and seeing if they have a XHP one in stock isn't out out of the question either.

Definitely should be addressed by Spyderco.
Yea an interesting question. A factory mislabeled techno (not sure how that could even happen) would be a cool collector piece indeed.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

adancingmonkey wrote:But isn't the Xhp marketed as a premium steel?
They are both marketed as premium steels. Sure, the XHP is newer, but they are in the same class in price and performance (XHP is no 204P, S90v). It's also marketed as a "stainless D2" by Carpenter. An improved D2 but just some years ago D2 became this "horrible steel" when S30v hit its stride :D

The Chap1 saw a rolling change from S30v to XHP and the price stayed the same. No one was offended though since XHP is newer. It was more regarded as a pleasant surprise: Buying a s30v knife and getting XHP instead. In reverse, not surpsised how some will take offense.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

tvenuto wrote:

If I bought one expecting XHP and it wasn't, I wouldn't be happy about it. But returning a knife and seeing if they have a XHP one in stock isn't out out of the question either.

Yea an interesting question. A factory mislabeled techno (not sure how that could even happen) would be a cool collector piece indeed.
Agreed. Typos happen. Nothing to get too worried about. :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Chaparral was originally supposed to have XHP, but there was a supply issue. So they released it initially with the S30V they had on hand rather than delay it.

I remember a lot of discussion and an announcement about that change, and also the change from 154CM to S30V on the Manix 2. It seems unlike Spyderco to make a change like this without any type of announcement. Hopefully this will be clarified soon.
:bug-red-white
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Reminds me of the Chaparral 1 switch from early run S30V to later CTS XHP.
I have an S30 model and have no complaints. But also have a Techno with XHP...

Edit: oh you beat me to the correlation! ^
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

SpyderNut wrote:
tvenuto wrote:

Agreed. Typos happen. Nothing to get too worried about. :)
From the source cited, the poster said that he contacted Spyderco and was told that it's a rolling change via email reply.

Cpm s30v techno update
I've just received an email reply from spyderco. They said that they've been doing a rolling change with the techno and all new models are cpm s30v and that it's not a fake. I almost feel like I spent too much money on it now.

It's the internet so I'd like to hear it direct from the source. One thing though "rolling change" is the same term used for the Chap1 change by Spyderco in that update thread two years ago.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

You would think that if they were going to be changing from XHP to something else that they would have at least went to S35v. I have both S30v and XHP blades and prefer XHP......hard to quantify why but I do. I don't have S35v though but have heard good things about it .........as if it was what S30v was initially hyped to be but wasn't. But then again, I am not a heavy user of knife steels.......I don't do as much cutting as those who need to use a knife daily for work.

But if I was expecting XHP and something else arrived unexpectedly in the mail that was S30v.......I'd definitely be unhappy about the cost of returning the knife.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'm sure someone from Spyderco will chime in soon to clarify this. I personally doubt it would be a typo!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I'm pretty surprised to see this. Not sure that I'd be happy about it (and I have s30v Spydies, too).
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

ManixFan wrote:You would think that if they were going to be changing from XHP to something else that they would have at least went to S35v. I have both S30v and XHP blades and prefer XHP......hard to quantify why but I do. I don't have S35v though but have heard good things about it .........as if it was what S30v was initially hyped to be but wasn't. But then again, I am not a heavy user of knife steels.......I don't do as much cutting as those who need to use a knife daily for work.

But if I was expecting XHP and something else arrived unexpectedly in the mail that was S30v.......I'd definitely be unhappy about the cost of returning the knife.

Beyond a little gained edge stability and a bit finer grain, there is no practical difference between S35Vn and S30V. S35Vn was made so that makers would have an easier time machining it, not really out of any performance benefits, though now all the kinks have been worked out for S30V anyway. The Catra data on the info sheet claims an increase in toughness on S35Vn but I haven't seen anything in use to suggest it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I thought it neat that both Slysz's had XHP.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As far as I know S30V, S35Vn, CTS XHP, VG10, 154cm, CPM 154, and a bunch more would be classed as premium steels. Super Steels would be ZDP, S60/440V, S90V,S110, 10V, etc. M390 and analogs for me are a gray area. I wouldn't consider them super steels however some would.

None of this should be taken to mean the guy that wanted XHP should be satisfied with S30V. I ordered a ( advertised as) O-1 Trailmaster and received the older SK5 Taiwan version. The performance should be pretty similar , not that far off but I was still ticked off. I understand how it goes.

I do believe the customer should be able to get a refund fairly easily if he/she desires without having to create a fuss on the internet. There are times people get angry and begin forum campaigns on several websites and when questioned why they didn't just get their return for refund or switch for knife of choice when possible they try stating they are trying to help others, sometimes trying to help Spyderco.

Whatever the motive that's their business. I personally wouldn't try to help anyone but myself to get what I wanted and if that didn't work out for some reason then I'd probably go the next step. The Supervisory personnel at Spyderco or whatever company is in question. Only if I got no satisfaction ( never has happened so I'm in "suppose" mode) would I attempt to contact the company via a forum. I couldn't see making it my first stop. Problem solving always begins with the simplest, most obvious steps to start.

With the Trailmaster I did bring it up in a forum as the company selling claimed the SK5 version was the O-1, which should have been marked and I wanted to bring attention to a company that continued to sell SK5 as O-1 knives despite knowing better. That's the only negative interaction I've had since the beginning of the internet.

joe