PD-1 steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

PD-1 steel

Post by elena86 »

I just purchased(is in the mail) a Strider SNG in PD-1 steel.I only have one SNG in S30V and I did not intend to get more but I was attracted by this one because I heard rumours about this steel being compared with 3V. So I'm asking those who know a thing or two about this steel in particular.What can I expect ? How does it perform in real life ? Edge retention, sharpenability, you know, usual stuff....Thanx
Invective

Re: PD-1 steel

Post by Invective »

I had an SMF in PD#1 and it was an amazing knife. Mine was uncoated and the only time I ever had any trouble with rust was after using it in the yard for an hour and then leaving it for an hour or two while in my workshop. The surface had some slight rusting/discolouration that came off easily with some toothpaste.

It also can take a keen edge and keep a working edge pretty well from my experience. I used it a lot in the yard working in dirt just removing some flowers and weeds and it held up extremely well. Never got any big dings even though it was cutting in dirt through the roots at times. I won't say it didn't get dull but it kept it's edge a lot better than other steels I used to do this same work.

Here's a small sample of the stuff it removed. It was one of my favorite steels although I ended up selling the SMF because I didn't like having $500~ locked up in a knife when my CruWear Millie was just about as good at 1/4th the price
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

PD1 is Carpenter's Cruwear, which is an excellent steel. Not quite stainless, but not bad at all. Mine is still spotless. Takes a nice edge pretty easily and holds it very well through my usage. It's one I prefer.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Don't own any but I've heard good things. I've heard it likened to cruwear. I am actually looking at the possibility of having a custom fish cleaning knife made with PD1. Let us know how it goes if you get some.
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Invective wrote:I had an SMF in PD#1 and it was an amazing knife. Mine was uncoated and the only time I ever had any trouble with rust was after using it in the yard for an hour and then leaving it for an hour or two while in my workshop. The surface had some slight rusting/discolouration that came off easily with some toothpaste.

It also can take a keen edge and keep a working edge pretty well from my experience. I used it a lot in the yard working in dirt just removing some flowers and weeds and it held up extremely well. Never got any big dings even though it was cutting in dirt through the roots at times. I won't say it didn't get dull but it kept it's edge a lot better than other steels I used to do this same work.

Here's a small sample of the stuff it removed. It was one of my favorite steels although I ended up selling the SMF because I didn't like having $500~ locked up in a knife when my CruWear Millie was just about as good at 1/4th the price
I have had the same experience. PD#1 is my favorite steel, bar none. It is tough as nails, but sharpens like room temp butter on my wicked edge. I've had 3v, Z-Wear, and PD#1. All are very similar, but in my experience, PD#1 is a bit tougher and polishes a bit better...when you're pushing hard use and sharpening to the limit.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Without doubt PD#1 is an excellent steel. So is Cruwear, Z wear, and a few other names it goes by. For my uses I like it hardened and tempered fairly hot and a final hardness of around rc 62-63.

To be honest though I think there is more of a performance difference between the steels in this class ( I'll go farther out to 3V and then 4V) from differing heat treat temps, times, tempers etc. and must not forget geometries than any performance differences due to slight compositional changes or differences between Generation 1, 2, 3 etc.

It's a pretty versatile steel that can be made very tough, less tough but higher abrasive wear. IMO, this class is the best bet for "hard use" knives like Strider SNG's and SMF's. I believe they keep the rc down to around rc 61 or so and probably heat treat it to perform well all around with a eye towards toughness. Striders are used for everything from collecting in cases to prying, scraping,. Things like that.

I've been pretty happy with Spyderco's heat treat. It seems to be pretty well balanced, which I think about with Spyderco. Balanced with a eye towards performance. The Mule with it's ingot steel version and rc 62 (appx) final hardness is one of my favorite perfomers even out doing the original production and custom knives in Vascowear. I find powder steels easier to sharpen or change geometry but to be honest other than for the easier time making knives with the powder version I don't think the powder steel version outperforms the ingot steel for the consumer.

4V is getting near the place where Powder steel is needed due to the chemistry.

Joe
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

You hit the nail on the head, Joe. Strider uses Peter's to heat tread their blades and they heat treat all of their knives to bring out the toughness characteristics of that specific steel. Mick has gone as far to say that the average person could not tell the difference between the steels they use, unless they were told what is what. I wouldn't go that far, but then again, I'm probably not an average user and a good number of people would probably say I boarder on being a knife abuser.

Never had an issue with these tool steels from Strider though. I've done everything from cut up soup cans to stab the gorilla glass on a cell phone several times. The tool steel held up like a champ. The cans only dulled the edge slightly. A quick strop and it was back in action. The gorilla glass slightly blunted the tip and require a little reprofiling.

For comparison, Strider's s30v took a roll or two when cutting up soup cans. Most of the rolling came from the initial insertion of the knife into the can. The actual cutting only slightly dulled the knife.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Maybe spyderco can use PD-1 when they finally do that Strider collab :D
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Alchemy1 wrote:You hit the nail on the head, Joe. Strider uses Peter's to heat tread their blades and they heat treat all of their knives to bring out the toughness characteristics of that specific steel. Mick has gone as far to say that the average person could not tell the difference between the steels they use, unless they were told what is what. I wouldn't go that far, but then again, I'm probably not an average user and a good number of people would probably say I boarder on being a knife abuser.

Never had an issue with these tool steels from Strider though. I've done everything from cut up soup cans to stab the gorilla glass on a cell phone several times. The tool steel held up like a champ. The cans only dulled the edge slightly. A quick strop and it was back in action. The gorilla glass slightly blunted the tip and require a little reprofiling.

For comparison, Strider's s30v took a roll or two when cutting up soup cans. Most of the rolling came from the initial insertion of the knife into the can. The actual cutting only slightly dulled the knife.
Nice to see you drop by and chime in Clint. Probably alot more likely when we touch on one of your favorite subjects. Abuser....? All in the frame of perspective. Most users don't prefer to cut up their soup cans when they are done, but you remain dedicated!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I think we will start seeing more of the PD-1/CPM Cruwear group and the CPM 4V/ V4E group of steels being used as time goes on.
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

xceptnl wrote:
Alchemy1 wrote:You hit the nail on the head, Joe. Strider uses Peter's to heat tread their blades and they heat treat all of their knives to bring out the toughness characteristics of that specific steel. Mick has gone as far to say that the average person could not tell the difference between the steels they use, unless they were told what is what. I wouldn't go that far, but then again, I'm probably not an average user and a good number of people would probably say I boarder on being a knife abuser.

Nice to see you drop by and chime in Clint. Probably alot more likely when we touch on one of your favorite subjects. Abuser....? All in the frame of perspective. Most users don't prefer to cut up their soup cans when they are done, but you remain dedicated!
:D I do need to come around more. Instagram is so easy and fast, it has cut a lot of my forum surfing...especially as my schedule becomes tighter. A CRKT knife got my interest and a Spyderco was my first leap into the mid/high end production knives. After 10-15 PM2's I was hooked :)
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Ankerson wrote:I think we will start seeing more of the PD-1/CPM Cruwear group and the CPM 4V/ V4E group of steels being used as time goes on.

I can definitely live with this! Pardon the two replies, but I'm still learning this new setup and didn't see a way to do a multi quote.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I think we will start seeing more of the PD-1/CPM Cruwear group and the CPM 4V/ V4E group of steels being used as time goes on.
One could do much worse than this class of steel. If you need maximum of any of the big three attributes they don't hold up. 10V, H1,and S7 will out do them in their specialties but this class has a great balance of toughness to abrasive wear with not all that bad corrosion resistance for tool steels. I've had pretty much every one of them from 3V to old Vasco Pacific's Vascowear, through ingot and powder Cruwear, PD#1, Z wear, and on up to 4V most lately. I've liked them all.

I do think Sal can be given the credit for mainstreaming Cruwear and bringing it back from cutlery history ( 82 thru 86...ish? Gerbers). Strider did beat Spyderco to the punch getting a small batch of knives in this class steel out but it was well after we were talking about who had orders where by then.

I kept track of the market in this steel very closely and had to look for old Gerber Sportsmen 2 "V" steels for folding knives to use. They are expensive for what they are like all old rare Gerbers though it's easier to get them with E-bay now. There was a time no knife maker I could afford or find would touch this steel for folders and darn few for fixed blades.

For a while Country knives in PA had Barminsky ground "kit" knives in Vascowear but that was it. From the eighties until Sal brought out Cruwear.

So, once again, thanks Sal!

Joe