What makes a knife your "FAVORITE"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

What makes a knife your "FAVORITE"?

Post by Surfingringo »

I was looking through my small collection the other day and started thinking about which knives I liked more than others and what made them special. I know everyone will have different answers here and that's why I started the thread. For some it will be ergonomics, for others aesthetics or fit & finish or a myriad of other characteristics. I just thought it would make for a thought provoking discussion.

For me, it's based on functionality. The knives that inevitably climb to the top of my favorites list are the ones I find myself constantly carrying and using because they simply work better than others. My SE Pacific Salt and Southfork are way up at the top of that list. I have other knives that are prettier, or fancier, or made with finer materials, but those two are the ones that always get used! I'm glad I own the others and enjoy them as well, but there is only so much satisfaction I can get from opening and closing a knife on the couch. I'm always going to have more appreciation for the knife that is always with me...and that is always going to be the one that functions best for me.

What about you guys? Anyone feel the same? Anyone feel completely different? Some might be more drawn to carry a knife they don't enjoy using as much simply because they like the feel or look of it. That's a perfectly valid system too and one I sometimes follow. Thoughts?
Evil D

Re: What makes a knife your "FAVORITE"?

Post by Evil D »

I'm about in the same group. The ones that work the best are my favorite, but I think that includes things like steel and ergos. It's a total package thing. Aesthetics are important but take a back seat to performance and ease of use. I'm not crazy about the looks of my FRN Manix but I don't dislike them either. I think the 3 biggest points for me are 1) steel, 2) ergonomics, and 3) lock type.

Steel first, because even if the ergos and lock are great but I don't like the steel, it's a deal breaker for me.

Ergos next because that's what connects you to the knife. This is so important to me that it pushed me over to the Manix 2 camp and away from the Para 2 camp.

Lock type last because for the most part I can live with any lock Spyderco uses even if I have preferences, but it will still sway my decision depending on how hit or miss the other two points are.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Interesting. My top three list would probably be something like 1. Blade profile 2. Ergos 3. Grind. Steel is up there too but for many of my tasks it's more about corrosion resistance than edge retention.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Interesting thread.My favorite is Police SS,SE.I almost never carry it, I rarely use it, it is not very "spydernomic"(I almost cut my fingers trying to stabb something) yet is my favorite.Many years ago I saw a movie and in that movie I saw a shocking folder with a serrated edge( my first sight of a spyderedge ) and a hole in the blade.I can't explain why, but I became obssesed by that folder.I told a friend of mine who is involved in military gere about my "epiphany" and he said the magic words: "ah, I know, what you saw was a Spyderco ".Long story short, couple weeks later I got a Spyderco catalog( don't ask me how) and ...there it was.The very knife who cought me in the Spyderco vortex.Today I own many Spydercos( around 50 ) but Police SS,SE is still my favorite.And I purchased seven of them !.Just in case.The reasons why it is my favorite are...no reasons :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

^^^ Training Day
Holland

Post by Holland »

For me, my determining factors in order are:
Size,
Ergos,
Steel,
Build quality

With the chaparral being my favourite combination of all four.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mine change, which I like, except when I order a knife and it takes so long it's no longer my favorite.
Looks, ergos, color, feel, usefulness for a variety of tasks (including apple cutting)... just whatever I'm feeling. I like having a variety. Obviously the wee Manbug is on top right now, and Manix Cruwear.
- best wishes, Jazz.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I would say the number one reason is usefullness. I have different favourites depending on situation, yard work (millie CE), keychain (ladybug SE), around the house (some type of delica) etc.

The only other factor for a fovourite that would outweigh usefullness is the knives I have recieved as gifts from family. Those get used no matter what. Good thing my family has good taste.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

How well a knife suits my needs while also being enjoyable to use and fondle makes one my favorite. The Techno handles anything I throw at it and is just a fun knife otherwise, so it's at the top for me. The Slysz Bowie could be but I'm finding the Bowie blade shape isn't my absolute favorite for edc.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Size and ergos are at the top, depending on the situation. The Military is an ergonomic dream, but I rarely need to carry a 9" folder.

Carry is also at the top of the list, again depending on the situation. If I'm in jeans and doing hard work then I don't mind having a large, stout folder in my pocket. If I'm wearing khakis or shorts then I don't want a GB or Tuff banging around against my leg so I go for something smaller and lighter.

I like reliable locks that can be operated with one hand.

I can't understate appearance and aesthetics either. I am not going to buy a knife that I don't find to be visually appealing. This usually works out for me as I find that form follows function in many cases.

Steel is an important consideration, but it is moving down the list of traits. I like having some of the crazier super steels out there but plain ol' S30V suits my needs plenty fine.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I wish I could choose one favourite. ;)

I love the Civilian for what it is....I'm never going to void the warranty by using it, and I'm not going to use it for what 'nature intended', but it's the purity of what it is ranks it amongst my favourites.

I love the full serrated Stainless Police.... as for me it's probably the purest expression of what a Spyderco should be.

But, I love my Squeak- as it's just enough knife in a UK legal package.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I must admit that appearance is probably my number 1 consideration, I just love a great looking knife. Then it would be ergonomics, it has to fit my hand perfect and ride in my pocket the way I like a knife to ride.

Then I start considering blade material, FF, scale material etc. surprisingly the manix2 LW s110v has become one of my favorites which is kinda ironic because at first I couldn't stand the manix because of how wide it is and how much pocket space it took up but after carrying it for a while it really started to grow on me and actually fit my hand just about perfect.

Right now (subject to change) my favorites in really no particular order are the manix2 (both the s110v and the cruwear), PM2 and of course the Slysz Bowie at least for full sized knifes. Of course I never leave home with out my SB manbug which is a whole different story.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For EDC I think I mostly go for the "I like it" factor. My Manix 2 is probably the most useful, but I have been carrying a ZT 0770 a lot lately because it's good enough and I am really enjoying the speed safe flipper. I wish I could find a Spydie with a flipper action like this, but my Southards (2 of them) and Domino aren't nearly as satisfying.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good post.

My taste in knives/designs has certainly evolved since I first started collecting Spydies. For myself, the key ingredients to finding a "favorite" design is loosely based on a few factors:
1. Ergos
2. Blade length (approx. 2.5" or less)
3. Blade shape
4. Lock type (Liner-lock or RIL preferred)
5. Weight
6. Handle material
7. Rarity

I have several classifications of "favorites." Some are EDC, some for collecting purposes, and some merely for their looks or features. For instance, I rarely carry my Bi-Fold simply because it is a delicate design and is very difficult to replace if it were to be lost or stolen. I also seldom carry my Glasshart Delica because it would be impossible to replace. They are amongst my favorites, but only in the sense that I enjoy looking at them and playing with them from time to time. My CPM-440V Starmate is in my top five favorite designs, but I don't get to carry it very often because of the knife/weapon policy at work.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I've been trying to figure this out for over ten years now. Haven't got a clue.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Joshua J. wrote:I've been trying to figure this out for over ten years now. Haven't got a clue.
Ha!

+1 to this...

I have several favorites, but there are so many layers, there is never a specific feature that stands out for long... So I guess it's more of what's the entire package composed of?

Currently I am back to my trusty Para2, but I have had Sage 1&2 at the top for a time, Southard, Caly 3.5 all finding significant pocket time, out of the 40 to 50 in my collection...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My favorite is the para2 because it carries like a dream, meets all my needs functionally, has my favorite lock and fits my hand like a dream. The only thing I would change is the thickness of the blade stock but when backed up with a delica I am in heaven. I also prefer thumb ramps and tip down carry which both of those knives have.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I initially thought this was going to be an easy question to answer. Then I thought about it. My "favourite" seems to change on a regular basis. I like to carry all my knives and can never quite pick a fav. Sometimes I change knives mid-day. I have my Techno as my most common carry, my Manix2 as my most likely to carry if I know I'll be using a knife a lot that day, My Brous S.Soldier flipper for playing with, My Lava for opening stuff with the kids around, My ZT550 for out in the bush, My newly acquired K-2 is just cool and I'm waiting on a Native5 110v... Most of my other knives get much less pocket time these days so they're out of the running for fav I guess. But what makes a knife my favourite just depends on the day/mood I'm in, lol!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

spyderg wrote:I initially thought this was going to be an easy question to answer. Then I thought about it. My "favourite" seems to change on a regular basis. I like to carry all my knives and can never quite pick a fav. Sometimes I change knives mid-day. I have my Techno as my most common carry, my Manix2 as my most likely to carry if I know I'll be using a knife a lot that day, My Brous S.Soldier flipper for playing with, My Lava for opening stuff with the kids around, My ZT550 for out in the bush, My newly acquired K-2 is just cool and I'm waiting on a Native5 110v... Most of my other knives get much less pocket time these days so they're out of the running for fav I guess. But what makes a knife my favourite just depends on the day/mood I'm in, lol!
Yes sir, I can relate. Mine is subject to change from week to week. But it's always one of the same 3 or 4. Pacific salt, Southfork, Military, pm2. But at the end of the day, the pacific salt and Southfork just see so much more use than the millie and pm2 that I've got to give them the nod.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The only knives I choose for my EDC rotation are knives that meet my requirements for size and function, and that includes lock type, ergonomics, blade shape and steel. So my favorite comes out of that group. The choice for favorite becomes an emotional thing, the one that I like the best based on aesthetic design and maybe other factors.