Am I crazy to want an Emerson CQC 7

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
akapennypincher

Am I crazy to want an Emerson CQC 7

Post by akapennypincher »

Please reply.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Emerson-CQ ... int--14144

Any better than a Spyderco?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi AkaP,

No, I wouldn’t say you're "crazy" for wanting an Emerson knife. Over the years, Mr. Ernest Emerson has developed a well-known knife company that turns out high quality knives and has developed a very solid following amongst knife aficionados and collectors—not to mention those serving in the military/police service. A few years ago, I ordered a CQC-7W. I had wanted one of these for over 15 years and it was sort of a “grail quest” of mine. After receiving the knife, I carried it for a few days just to gain an initial impression. After my short trial run, I ended up placing it amongst my other safe queens and haven’t really carried it since. For me, the fact of the matter remains: Even a thumb-disk opener is no match for the venerable Spyderco Round Hole. ;) I just couldn’t get used to not having the Hole to articulate the blade open. Sure, the CQC-7 is high quality and very sturdy. Sure, I can probably use the stout blade to pry the doors off of my truck in the event of an emergency. But in the end, I would rather have my trusty little Dragonfly with its Spyderco Round Hole vs. the hefty CQC-7 with its thumb disk opener.

Now on a side note, and in my humble opinion, I would think that a Spyderco/Emerson collaboration design would be an insanely huge success. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't know that you're crazy for wanting one, but I'll tell you flat out that the Emersons I have did not impress me. YMMV.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

If you are a fan of higher end Spydercos, you will be underwhelmed. I have owned 3, a mini 15 (my favorite of the bunch), a 7V (least favorite, cut like a tool not a knife), and an A100 (not even remotely ambi-dextrious). The fit and finish is rough and the company will agree with that. If you are ok with possibly needing to disassemble your knife brand new to get it like you want it, you will be ok. Now, they are rugged as a barn cat and they all come very sharp. If you are looking for a tool that you can abuse, these make good knives. I really like the Superleaf better. I would recommend the mini 15 over the 7, as the 7 to me cuts like a sheetrocking tool.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have an Emerson Horseman or mini CQC 8 that I bought from Ernest Emerson himself at the Blade Show last year and I got him to autograph it for me with an electric pen similiar to a Dremel tool. That would be my suggestion if you want an Emerson. Try to make the Blade show where you will get a good price you can look at all the Emerson's and Ernest Emerson will be glad to autograph it and it will mean more to you as a collectible. By the way it looks really good on a Black blade.
akapennypincher

Well where is the blade Show, and how much off retail will I save? Honestly I am having problem parting with the money, for the Emmerson, as I just got the new spyderco catalog.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Must be a Ford/Chevy thing, I just have absolutely no interest in that brand whatsoever.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've been interested mainly as it's a brand I want to love and I have a strange lack of thumb stud knives :p

In the end the aesthetics seem seem more tactical (obvious) and I fear the handles are more filling than particularly ergonomic for my mitts. I've been happy with Fallkniven and thrilled with Al Mar. The latter will prob be my alternative go-to brand.
GronK

Post by GronK »

I've swapped and traded into several over the years and don't care for them a bit. Rough, fiddly in the pivot, and the chisel grind makes it really hard to do any precise cuts. Probably good for ripping open rats bags and ammo crates but I don't need those functions. They do offer the wave but Spyderco does that better.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have owned on a handful of Emersons. I lusted for the customs, but figured I would try the production models. Like twinboysdad stated, if you are a fan of higher end spydercos (in the pricepoint of this CQC7 from your link), you will be underwhelmed. I find the F&F especially poor for a knife of this pricepoint. The ruggedness of the entire product line cannot be denied. It is a thick blade that has an unusual grind that is almost completely chisel, but a small MACRO bevel on the back side. I tried the CQC-14 (Stubby) as well as the Mini Commander. Neither impressed me for what they had cost me. I found the steel to have a proper heat treat, so I didn't give up entirely. The Specwar was always interesting to me, but it lacked the wave which was a big selling point with me. Finally I discovered the SOCFK. WOW, what a great looking knife. Ended up they were only available from a NC dealer. Ordered a NIB "B" (Tanto PE) version. Liked the feel in hand, but never found the tanto to be practical. I later picked up an "A" version that had seen much use (one tour in Iraq). I sold the tanto and still use the beater. The SOCFK has since been added to the regular production list. Nothing that they have production has interested me in years other than the new "El Bandito". I suspect that model only interests because of the somewhat deep finger choil and the presence of a hole opener. On a side note I retract my previous statement, the Endeavor and CQC-10 were also a visually appealing to me, but never made it to the top of the need list. Hope this helps.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

akapennypincher wrote:Well where is the blade Show, and how much off retail will I save? Honestly I am having problem parting with the money, for the Emmerson, as I just got the new spyderco catalog.
The Blade Show is in Atlanta every year and you owe it to yourself to go at least once.
The thing with Emerson knives is the edge grind so be sure you know what you're getting. They use a chisel on some that is perfectly flat on one side and you could'nt give me one of those.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

RanCoWeAla wrote:The thing with Emerson knives is the edge grind so be sure you know what you're getting. They use a chisel on some that is perfectly flat on one side and you could'nt give me one of those.
IIRC, only the tantos are true chisel grinds. The clip and spear point blades have a symmetrical primary bevel and an asymmetrical edge bevel.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I see in my March/April Knives Illustrated where Emerson is now offering a line of knives with 8CrMoV steel that retail for $49.99-$59.99 so that might be the way to go if you're not 100 percent sure. They look pretty good like the Tenacious is to the Spyderco line.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I had a horseman for a while. great knife with good fit, but laking a lot on the finish. The knives are definitely not designed with cutting being the most important aspect i found. The steel is not the best with not the best HT from my experience. fun knives to play with though. I also dont like the concept of knives being designed to kill people
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Emerson has great stuff, but it certainly seems overpriced to me. Regardless, I don't doubt that you'll get a quality blade. The only thing that has kept me from grabbing an Emerson Kbit is their chisel grind. The CQC7's handle looks less than comfortable though, but as always, YMMV.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Holland wrote:I had a horseman for a while. great knife with good fit, but laking a lot on the finish. The knives are definitely not designed with cutting being the most important aspect i found. The steel is not the best with not the best HT from my experience. fun knives to play with though. I also dont like the concept of knives being designed to kill people
I'm glad that there are knives designed around killing people, but I don't like the concept of making an art out of killing people either. I do recognize the necessity for it though.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I would recommend the La Griffe, as it is very unique for what it is and better than the Swick IMHO. I got one on sale for $60 at my local b&m when they ran a special. However it is not worth $100. I would also say regarding the folders, I would NEVER buy one that I had not personally handled. The b&m mentioned has a CQC10 I would have grabbed at the previously mentioned sale but the liner lock was already at 50-60% and it is well documented how their liner wear out.
akapennypincher

Holland wrote:I also dont like the concept of knives being designed to kill people
But that is necessary in war, kill, or be killed!
hollar44

Re: Am I crazy to want an Emerson CQC 7

Post by hollar44 »

If you want an Emerson get it ever since I got one I'm hooked love em you just have to break em in and get use to them
hollar44

Re: Am I crazy to want an Emerson CQC 7

Post by hollar44 »

I have cqc 7 mini and reg and mini commander love em all