Spyderco Value Folders: Like? Dislike? Good overall using blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisinHove wrote:I am sure they are good for the money, and the reviews are excellent, but I can't help but wonder if the range is intended to capture the buyer who likes the idea of having a new Spyderco branded knife without the price tag. They seem to un-necessarily undermine the Byrd range otherwise.
I bought a mint 2nd hand Manix LW for the price of a new Resilience because I wanted a user, and I'm pleased I did.
I don't honestly see a lot of overlap. Most of the Byrd knives are midlocks, and most have 50/50 choils. The value line Spydercos are all liner locks and were specifically designed to appeal to people who prefer a blade with an edge length virtually identical to their blade length.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TheHindy

Post by TheHindy »

I've EDC'd my Resiliance for over a year, batonned kindling with it, never let me down. Not a high end spydie by any means ( just recently saw the light) but it's a great knife.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the knowledge that some things are more important than being afraid.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Since I'm left handed, I avoided liner lock knives because the ones I'd owned or tried couldn't be easily closed one-handed with the left hand. When I bought my left hand Military, I found that I could easily close it right handed -- YMMV. Thus, I had no reservations about buying the right hand cruwear Military, and it quickly turned out to be one of my favorites... so I was curious about other liner lock knives, and eventually bought a Tenacious. I was surprised by the general quality and I think it's a very smooth operating knife. And, again, for me, is easy to close one-handed with the left hand. Other than the general lack of ambidexterity, which for me is only a minor inconvenience, my only gripe about it and the other value folders is the lack of a choil or ricasso. I prefer blades that are not sharpened all the way to the handle.

But I'd never kick this one out of my pocket :eek: :

Acid-washed Tenacious with Cuscadi "Dr. Jones" vintage OD micarta scales (photo from Cuscadi)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I'd take a Spyderco Value Folder any day over the competition. I just bought a Cold Steel folder and it's crude compared to my Tenacious. Sometimes I forget what poor quality is until I venture outside the House of Spyderco.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Out of the value line I got the Tenacious, Resilience, Byrd Robin2 g10 all 3 good value knives, the steel is ok these are good beater knives. All of them cost under $38. The tenacious, ambitious, persistence, resilience have a slightly better finish than the byrd knives but the byrd knives are lockbacks and have better ergonomics they are cheaper also.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Not ever person has a 100 bucks to spend on a knife, the Value & Byrd line are good values for the person on a budget. When you shop around there are some smokin deals.
elrond18

Post by elrond18 »

I like these value folders. I started with the Tenacious and then the Resilience. I've been using these knives for four years.
Holland

Post by Holland »

They are amazing knives for the price! i still need to grab a new tenacious at some point. It would be awesome if they did a sprint with an upgraded steel
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

I'm backwards. I bought a lot of other Spyderco knives before I picked up a Resilience. I bought it because I found the choils on most of my other knives annoying when actually slicing through stuff. If I need to do detail work I use a small knife, and I found the choils just tended to get in the way of long slicing cuts, and I like liner locks, and after I figured all that out I discovered the Resilience. The idea of a sprint Value with better steel is intriguing, but I think I'd rather have a Para or Mili without the choil. My only gripe with the Resilience is that the G10 seems to be a bit softer than on my Para or Mili and the screw heads pulled down into the scales a bit when I snugged the screws up. If the screws loosen up again I'll just lock tite them since the factory threadlocker does not seem to be adhering.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I happen to own many high end Spydies and still find the value line knives very nice. The fit and finish on all my examples has been as good as many of my Japanese Spydercos. I like them enough that I carry my modified
tip Pelican quite often. I happen to like 8cr13mov steel as well as the 9cr13mov steel that is used on them a great " everyday use" steels. I find both steels take a absolutely nasty edge that is easy to maintain. Matter of fact I wish Sal would do some
" sprint runs" of the older Byrd series such as the Pelican or the Harrier with some 9cr13mov steel and maybe some different grip colors, as long as they are kept reasonable in price.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p