KC appears to be finally giving up on the Cruwear Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdblue

KC appears to be finally giving up on the Cruwear Military

Post by bdblue »

I had an order in to them for a Cruwear Military, going back to shortly after the knives were announced. I have been getting emails from them every week or so that said "rest assured that your order is in good hands"... Well today I got an email that said "this knife is no longer in production". I think most of us knew that several months ago. I don't know why it took KC so long to catch on.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Sorry to hear that. I recently signed up for preorder of the SB stretch and am debating cancelling. I've had my eye on this one for awhile and don't want to end up missing the boat relying on that preorder. We'll see.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I purchased the display model at the Spyderco Outlet some time ago so I can tell you first hand that whatever is out in the wild is all there is. Spyderco is all out and not making them. Seems strange that they are just letting you know. Now I want a Para2 in CPM Cruwear.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I looked at the eBay prices a week ago and was surprised that these seemed to be going for relatively little over the street price when new, at least compared to quite a few recent sprints.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

bearfacedkiller wrote: Now I want a Para2 in CPM Cruwear.
I second that. I wouldn't mind having a couple of Taiwan spydies in CPM Cruwear either.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I remember having the chance to preorder the Cruwear really early and I just looked a the page and said ha yeah right pass. Got my other two at other places instead I do have a couple ZT's preorderd from them right now though just in case they come through. 801CF limited and 0562CF both on the first day they opened. Usually though I dont trust their system enough to be my first or second choice even though they have the largest preorders.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Invective

Post by Invective »

JNewell wrote:I looked at the eBay prices a week ago and was surprised that these seemed to be going for relatively little over the street price when new, at least compared to quite a few recent sprints.
I'd guess it's because people aren't as willing to shell out big bucks for non-stainless knives. Much harder to flip them in a year or two if they've got a bit of staining, so the usual flippers didn't jump on them like they do on Millie sprints.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Part of it is because it was a 1200 piece run. Proof that a higher number can sometimes help... It would have been more sought after if it were more limited like the others.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Yea...I had the same thing happen and just got my cancellation notice last week. Bummer, but I do already have a S30V mili and it left me with some cash to pickup the MT18.
I do also have a pre-order in for the ZT0562CF which I am nervous about. Been a while since I purchased a non-spydie but that CF and blade shape make it a must-have for me!
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

FCM415 wrote:Part of it is because it was a 1200 piece run. Proof that a higher number can sometimes help... It would have been more sought after if it were more limited like the others.
This makes sense to me. I'd imagine if they were limited to 300 or something, they'd probably be going for a lot more.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Wonder if I will get my order from DVOR? I would guess no.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Invective wrote:I'd guess it's because people aren't as willing to shell out big bucks for non-stainless knives. Much harder to flip them in a year or two if they've got a bit of staining, so the usual flippers didn't jump on them like they do on Millie sprints.
FCM415 wrote:Part of it is because it was a 1200 piece run. Proof that a higher number can sometimes help... It would have been more sought after if it were more limited like the others.
Two good explanations, both probably right. I'm always surprised by the reluctance to buy non-stainless blades (there was a post at BF today that equated non-stainless with poor quality steel). On the other hand, I replaced the M4 blade in my Ti/G10 Military with an M390 blade, so I guess it's "do as I say, not as I do." :rolleyes:
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Just a heads-up: Omaha Knife Store has 5 Cruwear Millie's for $200. Yeah, over the typical retail, but they are still available. (I'm not affiliated with this outfit, nor have I ever ordered from them. But I figured my fellow forumites would appreciate a potential source.)

http://omahaknifestore.com/index.php?ma ... cts_id=471
bearfacedkiller

I really wish that here was more excitement about this steel. I really have had good luck with it and want to see more. My experience with it has been limited but I am able to get it really sharp and keep it that way without too much effort.
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

I really like the steel and I hope at some point it is released on other models.I am pleasantly pleased with this sprint and EDC it.I prefer this steel over most other non-stainless steels that I have tried.I am glad I pulled the trigger on this one......
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

trevitace wrote:Sorry to hear that. I recently signed up for preorder of the SB stretch and am debating cancelling. I've had my eye on this one for awhile and don't want to end up missing the boat relying on that preorder. We'll see.
I signed up for the Stretch back in June. At the time we were expecting it before the year was over so it didn't seem that far in advance. At this point I'm really hoping I was on the list early enough since it's likely to be a quick seller.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Hopsbreath wrote:I signed up for the Stretch back in June. At the time we were expecting it before the year was over so it didn't seem that far in advance. At this point I'm really hoping I was on the list early enough since it's likely to be a quick seller.
The SB Stretch? Its also a 1200 piece run so it shouldn't be to hard to get one..

I've seen several BNIB Cruwear Millies pop up for sale over on BF's for anywhere from $160 to $180 shipped. A very good price for a sprint run Millie.

The price will start creeping up as the supply starts drying up..I've thought about buying one as a spare while the price is still relatively low and will probably do that soon..I really like Cruwear..
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Hopsbreath wrote:I signed up for the Stretch back in June. At the time we were expecting it before the year was over so it didn't seem that far in advance. At this point I'm really hoping I was on the list early enough since it's likely to be a quick seller.
The SB Stretch? Its also a 1200 piece run so it shouldn't be to hard to get one..

I've seen several BNIB Cruwear Millies pop up for sale over on BF's for anywhere from $160 to $180 shipped. A very good price for a sprint run Millie.

The price will start creeping up as the supply starts drying up..I've thought about buying one as a spare while the price is still relatively low and will probably do that soon..I really like Cruwear..
bearfacedkiller

salmonkiller wrote:I really like the steel and I hope at some point it is released on other models.I am pleasantly pleased with this sprint and EDC it.I prefer this steel over most other non-stainless steels that I have tried.I am glad I pulled the trigger on this one......
I completely agree. The millie is just too big for edc for me. I have used it a bit fishing, camping and stuff but wish it was a para2 so I could edc it.