FRN UKPK - Super Steel Sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want FRN UKPK Supersteel Sprints?

Yes
66%
No
34%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 56

D1omedes

FRN UKPK - Super Steel Sprints

Post by D1omedes »

Hi guys. Based on another thread, I decided to put up a poll to gauge interest on the UKPK model.

The FRN UKPK is currently made in Golden and offers a lightweight, affordable, non-locking, ergonomic design. Would any of you :spyder: -afi's be interested in UKPK sprint runs that sported American-made super steels? (Think of M4, S90V, 20CP, XHP, 204P, etc.)

I would definitely pick up these sprints. I'm a huge fan of the Calypso platform - especially the Caly 3. I would be willing to sacrifice a lock for a lighter knife that sports some high-end steel. The price of these sprints might even be more affordable than other Golden models.

So are you guys interested? Yes or no?

All credit goes to Roman, BTW. Thanks, bud. ;)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Yup. M4 please.
On the hunt for...
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I would be so happy with the UKPK lightweights as a mule-team type test.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Anthony,
certainly will be interesting to see all of these
D1omedes wrote: M4, S90V, 20CP, XHP, 204P, etc.)
plus European steels as well. :)
Thank you for starting the thread.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I would go for a sprint. I'm liking my xhp native and I do like my UKPK. So yea let's combine them for another golden success!
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would be interested in a M4, 20CP, 204P, S90V, B75P, ... even 1095 would be interesting to me. Sort of like a golden made opinel.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

I definitely want a frn model to have a series of sprints. it will the most affordable way to try supersteels, so i am a big fan of this idea. This is the reason i am so excited for the N5 lightweights, but i would buy this model over the N5 any day as I am not a big fan of the N5s ergos
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I had a chance to handle the orange G10 UKPK at a local store and thought it was pretty nice. I'd like to see the better steels on a G10 version.
John E

Post by John E »

I have a super blue Caly 3, bought last March at SFO. I also have an orange S30V UKPK. I would not really want to trade the Caly for the same blade without a lock. So the issue for me is that I would, I think, rather see the unusual steels as Caly sprint runs than UKPK sprint runs. I am not opposed to the non-locking knife, and use my Urban all the time, but I think for this kind of specialty, it makes more sense to go with the locking model.

John
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sal was considering doing a higher end UKPK for the UK people. I haven't heard much on what was planned or how progress was going. I'm hoping for something nice in the steel category.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

John E wrote:I have a super blue Caly 3, bought last March at SFO. I also have an orange S30V UKPK. I would not really want to trade the Caly for the same blade without a lock. So the issue for me is that I would, I think, rather see the unusual steels as Caly sprint runs than UKPK sprint runs. I am not opposed to the non-locking knife, and use my Urban all the time, but I think for this kind of specialty, it makes more sense to go with the locking model.

John
I agree I would prefer any of those steels in the Caly over the UKPK. The problem with this is that Japan will not use any of those mentioned steels. They will only work with their own. Not to say more Japanese "super steels" are not available, but I think we already have a wide array of performance from the existing (ZDP-189, Superblue, VG-10).
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

John E wrote:I have a super blue Caly 3, bought last March at SFO. I also have an orange S30V UKPK. I would not really want to trade the Caly for the same blade without a lock. So the issue for me is that I would, I think, rather see the unusual steels as Caly sprint runs than UKPK sprint runs. I am not opposed to the non-locking knife, and use my Urban all the time, but I think for this kind of specialty, it makes more sense to go with the locking model.
John
John,

Anthony and I certainly with you. Unfortunately this will not work for couple reasons.
First of all, Japanese suppliers of Spyderco strongly prefer to work with Japanese steels. We cannot recall any Japanese made Spyderco with American or European steel. So if we want to try various flavors of American steels, we need to think about either Golden or Taucung knives.
Paramilitary and Military had a good exposure to various steels, but these knives are fairly expensive for some, plus sold out in a minute.
So we are talking about inexpensive as possible FRN Golden made model. My other and more preferred choice would be Native5 LW, but most likely the knife will be at least $40 more expensive, which I can live with. I personally would love to see all these exotic steels on polished G10 (various color) Native5. But we just are trying to find more or less realistic solution, which would be acceptable and for many people. And of course, this is just talks
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I think the FRN UKPK would be an awesome platform for a folder mule!

The current mule platform is a terrific project but I (and most of us?) rarely carry a fixed blade, even one as small as the mule. A folder mule, would see a lot more daily use, IMO.

Ken
玉鋼
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I'd prefer a folding Mule to have a lock. Example, an S110v slipjoint? We're all about overkill with steels but...........
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

kbuzbee wrote:I think the FRN UKPK would be an awesome platform for a folder mule!

The current mule platform is a terrific project but I (and most of us?) rarely carry a fixed blade, even one as small as the mule. A folder mule, would see a lot more daily use, IMO.

Ken
Agreed about the increase of use. Also the cost would be lower (theoretically)
FCM415 wrote:I'd prefer a folding Mule to have a lock. Example, an S110v slipjoint? We're all about overkill with steels but...........
I love the variety of locks as much as the next knife nut, but a properly used knife doesn't NEED a lock. An S110V slipjoint ..... where do I click "add to cart?"
*Landon*
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I love the Caly 3, but would gladly sacrifice a lock to have a low cost folding mule for supersteels. Bring it on!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

xceptnl wrote:

I love the variety of locks as much as the next knife nut, but a properly used knife doesn't NEED a lock. An S110V slipjoint ..... where do I click "add to cart?"
Yeah... Pass. Given the option I would go for a locking folder for a Mule every time, but carry on fellas!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

xceptnl wrote: I love the variety of locks as much as the next knife nut, but a properly used knife doesn't NEED a lock. An S110V slipjoint ..... where do I click "add to cart?"
Exactly. Kinda depends on what we're trying to accomplish here. The OP was for a Sprint. In that vein, I support a lock. But as a mule project, mainly to test the steels in EDC carry, UKPK should serve that function well.

Ken
玉鋼
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

kbuzbee wrote:The OP was for a Sprint. In that vein, I support a lock. But as a mule project, mainly to test the steels in EDC carry, UKPK should serve that function well.

Ken
This was the main point. Implying that we would be inline to buy 4, 5, 6..... of them to compare.
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This may be a silly question, but since I never actually owned one I am curious. Was the Leaf or drop-point shape a more popular seller in the FRN UKPK? In FFG (like the Caly and Ti UKPK) I would prefer a leaf shape. The drop point reminds me so much of the Stretch so I am not against that shape either. This may explain why I could never decide which one to buy.
*Landon*